U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:25 AM

11,517 posts, read 10,062,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Good writing but I'd bet a list could be compiled for any period, bad or good, in American history.

I wonder what my parents, who were born in the 1920s, thought was happening to the world when I'd listen to Black Sabbath in the 1970s and hard core punk rock in the 1980s.

1975, that's easy vietnam, gas lines, generation gap,
Punk Rock
People either loved or hated Reagan
high interest rates
recessions

hippies vs the greatest generation

grunge
Certainly a list could be compiled for any age, but the OP was specifically talking about today. Hence, my perspective.

I frankly don't feel and see such negativity that the OP refers too, but these are some of the factors that I think have negative impacts in those places that are unlike here (like where the OP is experiencing).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
So, you're basically blaming this on Republicans???

There is no political party to blame for the mess this state and country are in. Politicians on all sides are nothing more than glorified used car salesmen. And as long as people blindly follow political affiliations and point the finger at the opposing party, things will never change -- That's the game these scumbags want us to play, and most sheeple, er, people fall right into their trap.
No, you're trying to say that I am. I'm just listing a few factors, and the Republicans are glaringly incompetent IMO. They have proven this repeatedly and I note that here among many factors.

I disagree about not blaming any political party. Where were you during the Bush years? Their policies, ideas, implementations, solutions, analysis, and direction did not benefit this country over 8 years. In fact, they hurt the country pretty badly. Just stating the obvious.

There is something to your perspective too. I don't discard it and there's a lot of truth to what you say. I'm politically independent, but I find the ideology of the Republicans to be offensive.

It's OK if you don't agree.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:01 AM

255 posts, read 366,381 times
I've noticed no matter which forum people are on, they tend to complain.
I've also noticed no matter which state I'm in that people are unhappy.
I think that where you live only accounts for @ 30% of your happiness. Or maybe less...
The rest is about your personal circumstances, attitude, and what exactly is going on in your life.
Think about it.
If you have a good supportive family,
True love, enough food, clothes, comfortable place to live, and money and transportation oh and good health, then you have everything. But..if one of those is lacking, it can bring stress, depression and negativity.

I'm poor, (economically depressed to the point of poverty level). I live in los angeles now, but I'm happy.
Sure, life is difficult, but I have inner peace and joy that I didn't have back east because of some personal issues that really brought me down.
Plus, the weather is great here.
When its sunny and you see the mountains, and palm trees, its so relaxing.
Granted, I do rent a room, along with my son in a nice, low crime area. I budget, buy thrift store clothes, and penny pinch. Most people wouldn't know how poor we actually are. But I thank God every day for life here.
I'm hoping we can get some food stamps soon to help us..grocceries are major expensive.
There is good and bad about every place.
What works for one person, may not work for another.
We've been all over los angeles.
I find it to be a friendly, laid back place, with pockets of crime, homeless, very wealthy, mixed in with immigrants, and then run of the mill variety...basically a thriving multi cultural, and multi socio economic society.
I love it.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM

362 posts, read 367,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
No, you're trying to say that I am. I'm just listing a few factors, and the Republicans are glaringly incompetent IMO. They have proven this repeatedly and I note that here among many factors.

I disagree about not blaming any political party. Where were you during the Bush years? Their policies, ideas, implementations, solutions, analysis, and direction did not benefit this country over 8 years. In fact, they hurt the country pretty badly. Just stating the obvious.

There is something to your perspective too. I don't discard it and there's a lot of truth to what you say. I'm politically independent, but I find the ideology of the Republicans to be offensive.

It's OK if you don't agree.
Man, I hate Bush, but playing the old, "Let's blame it on Bush" card... really???

One can easily point to the Clinton administration for laying the groundwork that has led to state of this country --> Repealing the Glass-Steagall Act, his "Affordable Housing" scam, etc... but I'm sure you loved Clinton because DURING his time, everything was peachy. It's the long-term repercussions of his policies years later that are affecting people. But hey, I guess, it's just easier to blame that doofus Bush.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 AM

735 posts, read 413,279 times
Has anyone had a lifetime of misery due to the policies of Dwight Eisenhower?

Old 12-16-2010, 09:11 AM

26,365 posts, read 51,807,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
I haven't.
I don't know the policies of Dwight Eisenhower but I haven't had a lifetime of misery either.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM

749 posts, read 910,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoter View Post
To be fair, Dwight Eisenhower governed with a great degree of statesmanship and responsibility.

He enforced the Brown vs. Board of Education desegregation decision (i.e. Central High in Little Rock), warned against the military industrial complex, and was truly a fiscal conservative (i.e., actually balanced budgets).

If the GOP put foward candidates like Ike in Calif., they could actually win statewide office here.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM

2,262 posts, read 4,251,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
I think that where you live only accounts for @ 30% of your happiness. Or maybe less...
The rest is about your personal circumstances, attitude, and what exactly is going on in your life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
Plus, the weather is great here.
When its sunny and you see the mountains, and palm trees, its so relaxing.
While I agree that your personal circumstances, attitude, and what's going on in your life have a lot to do with happiness... I will say that waking up every day to mountains & palm trees vs. cold, wet, black snow makes a huge HUGE difference.

Being able to walk outside in your bare feet to walk your dog vs putting on a coat, boots, a hat, & gloves and then having to dry your dog afterwards? Huge difference in quality of life & happiness.

Of the three main places I've lived (LA, Austin, & Boston), I would say people appeared to me to be the happiest in Austin. Followed by LA. And lagging far FAR behind: Boston. People there are essentially miserable for half the year. Everyone there's favorite subject is the weather or how to get from one place to the other.

Even though my entire family (not to mention better job prospects and lots of friends) is in Boston... I'm here in LA and very very happy.

I WILL say that the Boston message boards are a lot more friendly, polite, and generally helpful, however. And Austin's are LESS friendly and polite (it's filled with "Go back to California! We don't want you here!" and this is even when the person never said where they were from. They HATE Californians)! So, if you judged a city by the message boards, Boston would be the happiest, followed by LA and then Austin. Weird, huh?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM

45 posts, read 57,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
No never divorced but widowed once and that was bad enough.
Apologies for being a total dick.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Man, I hate Bush, but playing the old, "Let's blame it on Bush" card... really???

One can easily point to the Clinton administration for laying the groundwork that has led to state of this country --> Repealing the Glass-Steagall Act, his "Affordable Housing" scam, etc... but I'm sure you loved Clinton because DURING his time, everything was peachy. It's the long-term repercussions of his policies years later that are affecting people. But hey, I guess, it's just easier to blame that doofus Bush.
The problem with this line of reasoning is that Bush had greater hindsight than Clinton and 8 years to get it right. He instead stunk up the place something fierce. You damn right he is to blame.

I don't know which is more pathetic: Bush's presidency or the people who try to pretend those 8 horrific years didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles