Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I understand new CA laws require you to have a teaching degree to home school. Youi may want to look into that before moving.
This is a falacy. We homeschool and are also a part of a homeschool co-op. And we know many homeschoolers in CA. This is not at all the case.

You can read more about it here: Misinformation

There are many available options for homeschooling including support groups, homeschool academies, co-ops, etc... Homeshcooling is a great option for us. Our kids are really enjoy it and thriving. We also live in a area with good public schools because we just end up prefering these neighborhoods. This was the same when we lived in Torrance, LA County.

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple73 View Post
First off, let me start by saying "HI DEREK". We actually did not check out LB. After doing some research on the metrolink, I found out that the OC line last train leaves at 6:30 p.m. so that's a definate no go as Jae has to work late a couple nites a week. We did spend part of an afternoon at Redondo beach and loved it. When we first came down here we spent a few nites in what I think was either Hermosa or Manhattan beach and I really liked the feel of it. Felt more "normal" or what I'm used to. GLendale I feel like I'm in some foreign land. Unfortunately I'm thinking we are not going to be able to afford it, but I'm going to keep checking periodically on CL. I've looked on Greatschools and the schools are high ranked but I've read some things about some of the schools that really bothered me. I'm seriously thinking I may have to consider home schooling the kids.
Hi purple73,

I was wondering how you guys were doing. Glad to hear you liked my hometown stomping grounds of the South Bay ( Hermosa, Manhattan, Torrance, Redondo). I grew up in Hermosa and Manhattan beaches. We still go back and visit friends there when in SoCal. For LA County this is my favorite location - great schools and neighborhoods whether homeschooling or not. Plus it has the best weather, beaches and least amount of smog. You are in still LA County, but it just feels different from much of the rest of LA.

Derek

Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Chatsworth is in LA County, not Ventura County.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
So we spent some time driving around Whittier, made it to the Uptown area and was not impressed.
What about the area around Whittier College? And the Friendly Hills area of Whittier is very nice and has excellent schools. (I'm not familiar with the Uptown area.)

Old 12-29-2010, 06:51 PM

46 posts, read 82,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Hi purple73,

I was wondering how you guys were doing. Glad to hear you liked my hometown stomping grounds of the South Bay ( Hermosa, Manhattan, Torrance, Redondo). I grew up in Hermosa and Manhattan beaches. We still go back and visit friends there when in SoCal. For LA County this is my favorite location - great schools and neighborhoods whether homeschooling or not. Plus it has the best weather, beaches and least amount of smog. You are in still LA County, but it just feels different from much of the rest of LA.

Derek

We love, love, loved it down there!! I'm so stressed from all the looking, collecting info. I don't know what I expected LA to be, but the longer we are here the more I'm starting to dislike it. Guess I'm getting old or something. Maybe if I were in my 20's and no kids, this would be the place to be. People in LA seem to have a whole different mind-set and I can't quite put my finger on it. It seemed very chill down there. There weren't a lot of people at the beach, but it just seemed more laid back then Santa Monica. We are however going to check out another place that was recommended to me by someone on Greatschools. Chatsworth..........it has a new charter school there.......exactly what we're looking for so we are going to check it out. Guess right now the most important thing for me is the kids and there well being. I've been looking on CL and we may actually be able to afford to rent a house there.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What about the area around Whittier College? And the Friendly Hills area of Whittier is very nice and has excellent schools. (I'm not familiar with the Uptown area.)
We just drove, I know the area we wee first looking at was by an elementary school we were going to look at. We knew that was not going to be a "nice area" according to other people. It was off of Mulberry. But after we figured out where the school was we drove and found Uptown and then drove around after that. I'm not exactly sure where we were but I just wasn't feeling it.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
This is a falacy. We homeschool and are also a part of a homeschool co-op. And we know many homeschoolers in CA. This is not at all the case.

You can read more about it here: Misinformation

There are many available options for homeschooling including support groups, homeschool academies, co-ops, etc... Homeshcooling is a great option for us. Our kids are really enjoy it and thriving. We also live in a area with good public schools because we just end up prefering these neighborhoods. This was the same when we lived in Torrance, LA County.

Derek

So give me some information on homeschooling, co-ops. Someone from here had told me that alot of her friends homeschool and are apart of a co-op. It's a very interesting concept to me. Where are you located now if you don't mind me asking.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
So give me some information on homeschooling, co-ops. Someone from here had told me that alot of her friends homeschool and are apart of a co-op. It's a very interesting concept to me. Where are you located now if you don't mind me asking.
Ok,

There is a wealth of information on the subject. I'll just start by addressing some of your questions and tell you a little about what we do.

Homeschool co-ops are basically a way for parents and kids to get together and hold certain classes of mutual interest. These are taught by parents who may have a specialization in particular areas. Like one of the moms has her PhD in Marine Biology or the dad has a degree in chemistry. But it's not just about these subjects. Its also about getting together with other kids and socializing, having fun classes, PE, art, going on field trips, camping trips, etc... We have made some good friends through such groups with families in our same life stage near us.

We currently live in Monterey County. But we started homeschooling in Torrance while living in SoCal. Then we homeschooled in CO while living there. Each area has their own homeschool groups, co-ops, academies, etc...

Some of the groups are more general while others are based around common interests like homeschool groups for military familes or faith based groups such as LA Jewish Homeschoolers. One which a number of our friends participate in LA is South Bay Faith Academy.

Also because public schools get money for each child who attends their school many schools will open up classes for homeschool families. So you can pick and choose if you would like your child to attend one or more classes. Some of the public charter schools even have homeschool programs like one we almost joined in Colorado Springs called The Classical Academy (TCA). This school is based on the Classical Approach by Charlotte Mason.

The state also has a homeschool program in which they provide all the curriculum, materials, free academic advisement, etc... I think they even give the child a computer for some online coursework. The organization is called CAVA - California Virtual Academies.

We prefer to select our own curriculum and teaching methods. One approach we really like is designed by a Biochemist from CalTech, Dr. Arthur Robinson, who homeschooled his own children - http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/.

The bottom line is there are a lot of options for homeschool families. You are free to choose and tailor your program to each child's unique personalities, interests, strenghts, weaknesses, etc... And they are free to move ahead in areas they are naturally talented in like mathematics. There are many teaching approaches. If you are interested this book is an excellent overview on the various homeschool methods - Educating the Wholehearted Child

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-30-2010 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 11:57 AM

WOw! Thanks so much, I will definately have to check out that book. I don't know if I posted on here or not, but I found a charter school in Chatsworth that we are going to try to check out. I'm sure they have a helacious waiting list as most do.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
WOw! Thanks so much, I will definately have to check out that book. I don't know if I posted on here or not, but I found a charter school in Chatsworth that we are going to try to check out. I'm sure they have a helacious waiting list as most do.
Yes, this is usually the case with the best charter schools in a given area. Upon arrival in Colorado our realtor recommended getting on the waiting list for the top charter - The Classical Adademy. The waiting list could take over a year to be considered. So whether one has decided upon the school or not it's good to get inline regardless. We did and eventually got accepted. But by that time we decided to use our own approach.

You could always get on the list then attend another school or homeschool in the meantime. The TCA Charter School rule in CO was once one child gets accepted the others can follow.

Here is another list of the the homeschool groups in LA: Los Angeles Homeschool Support Groups. And it is in no way comprehensive.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles