Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 03:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
You attitude sucks. Earthquakes are beyond human control. NYC and Denver have made significant declines in their homeless populations using similar strategies.
Lots of these agencies start with good intentions. When it comes to displaced families with children, yes, this is where significant declines of the homeless population shows, but the story is different for the multitude of people that are hard-core addicted to drugs or alcohol, or are mentally -impaired -chemical abusers. These groups need to have their addictions taken care off, first. And that becomes very hard to do, because they usually do not follow rules of treatment.

In many instances, once an agency or the police, begin to try to get them into treatment, they move to another city, or town. They may need to be forced into treatment, via the courts, and that is not likely to happen, because, as it stands now, they have acquired too many rights, that it has become impossible for members of any family to seek help for a mentally-ill -chemical abuser, or hard-core alcohol/drug abuser.

The law states that they cannot be forced into any kind of treament, unless they are willing to agree to abide by all the rules.............and that never happens.........so the family gives up, and the person winds up homeless again.......and again.....and again.

In reality, they have become victims of the same laws that have been enabled to protect them. An extremely sad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
You attitude sucks. Earthquakes are beyond human control. NYC and Denver have made significant declines in their homeless populations using similar strategies.
LA isn't like those cities.

There are NO RESOURCES here to really help them. I don't understand it. Governmental agencies don't care just churches, food pantries and charities.

I'd rather die before becoming homeless here.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
In regards to the mentally ill, I have personal experience with this. My mother was schizophrenic. I had conservatorship over her for a year. She would constantly leave the facility she was placed in; she'd go back to her alcoholic boyfriend. I tried placing her in a locked nursing facility, but there were never any beds available. This was back in the mid-80s. After the conservatorship expired (you have to renew it every year), I didn't renew. God forbid something happened to her while she was supposedly under my care, and then I'd be liable for it! The truth is that California is a terrible place to be mentally ill. In the end, I didn't have the resources to take care of her properly, and I had to choose my own family (my daughter was just a toddler back then) over my mother. It was a terrible choice to have to make, but I'd make the same one today.

I don't know if homelessness can be cured, especially with a certain segment who seem comfortable living that way, but as a caring society, how can we simply sit back and do nothing about the problem?

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
LA isn't like those cities.

There are NO RESOURCES here to really help them. I don't understand it. Governmental agencies don't care just churches, food pantries and charities.

I'd rather die before becoming homeless here.
The plan as outlined is mostly about redirecting EXISTING RESOURCES and spending them in a more effective and targeted manner.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,569 times
KPCC will host a forum on L.A. homelessness tomorrow, January 26th, 7-9 PM, at their Crawford Family Forum in Pasadena. It's actually a taping for the Patt Morrison show for later broadcast/podcast. Looks like they've assembled a pretty big roster of panelists, including Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky. The event is free but requires an RSVP. Details here:

Homelessness in Los Angeles: from Safer City to Home for Good

I have no connection with KPCC besides as a listener and attendee of their events.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 PM

41 posts, read 92,037 times
Quote:
I probably agree with much of what you are saying. Yet, circa 1960 we had very few homeless people as compared to today.
We also still had remnants of our shame culture back then. This also explains a lot of the education problems we face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles