U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,305 times

Advertisements

I am from Texas and I do not have a lot of information about living or commuting in LA. I have been accepted to Caltech (Pasadena) for graduate school and my girlfriend has been accepted to Pepperdine (Malibu) for law school. We would love to fulfill our dreams and move to LA, but obviously our schools are a fair distance apart, especially from what I have heard about LA traffic. Because of this, we are trying to plan on living between the schools and sharing the commute. I noticed that Sherman Oaks is situated almost halfway between the schools.

Does anyone know what the commute is like from/to the Sherman Oaks area to/from Pasadena and Malibu?

Also, what is a decent area to live in around Sherman Oaks for college-age students? Obviously we need to pay more for a safer place, but we are just looking for a studio apartment ideally around $1000 per month.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 06:58 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
You're on the right track. Estimate when each of you might be commuting and start looking at this to get an idea of the traffic patterns during those times. It might make sense to be further east or further west. You might be commuting at odd hours and knowing the traffic patterns might help you find the sweet spot east and west. You might even schedule your classes and labs around traffic. Another, far out alternative is Simi Valley or Moorpark. It might be a longer drive but less traffic. You really have to check this link out below and get familiar for when traffic is bad and where it is bad. If one person only has to go in two or three times a week and the other every day, then you might adjust where you live to favor the person that commutes every day.

Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map

Also, in the San Fernando Valley, it is generally considered less desirable (and less expensive) to be in the center of the valley. So, While Sherman Oaks might meet the east/west midpoint, it might be too expensive. So, you might have to think about Van Nuys or Reseda which are definitely not as nice.

Last edited by Charles; 12-06-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 AM

6,229 posts, read 9,510,885 times
It's about a 50 minute drive from Malibu to Pasadena if your taking pacific coast hwy and unto the santa monica fwy. 2 hour drive in traffic. If you take the Sherman Oaks route by going up towards ventura fwy, it's takes an hour to get to Pasadena and an hour and 50 minutes in traffic. You've got alot of planning to do. You won't be seeing each other everyday, that's for sure. But getting together on the weekend seems like the best thing that would work for you guys. Perhaps one of you could stay with the other in your dorm/apt on the weekend in your university and then switch the next week.

I don't understand what living in Sherman Oaks will do for you though. Sherman Oaks is 30 minutes away from Cal Tech Pasadena and it takes 55 minutes to get there in traffic. Your prepared to deal with that everyday?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:45 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Sherman Oaks is 30 minutes away from Cal Tech Pasadena and it takes 55 minutes to get there in traffic. Your prepared to deal with that everyday?

I would. If those numbers are correct, and they sound about right, the 25 extra minutes one way is worth it to be with my snuggly every night.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 8,305 times
Yeah we definitely are going to live together, so compromising on a commute from midway between Malibu and Pasadena would be the ultimate goal. Does the LA traffic vary a lot over the course of the day on the highways from the Sherman Oaks area to Pasadena?

I think my girlfriend would be making the commute from Sherman Oaks by way of hwy 101 and co hwy N1.

Thanks for all the tips and fast responses.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:51 PM

749 posts, read 1,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geophys View Post
Yeah we definitely are going to live together, so compromising on a commute from midway between Malibu and Pasadena would be the ultimate goal. Does the LA traffic vary a lot over the course of the day on the highways from the Sherman Oaks area to Pasadena?

I think my girlfriend would be making the commute from Sherman Oaks by way of hwy 101 and co hwy N1.

Thanks for all the tips and fast responses.

I agree...the best way for your girlfriend to get to Pepperdine's Malibu campus from Sherman Oaks would be on the 101 Freeway exit at Malibu Canyon, etc.

I think Sherman Oaks is a good halfway point. Or you could consider Woodland Hills which would make it easier on your girlfriend but harder on you.

The commute from SHerman Oaks to Pasadena is not that bad. By LA standards, very reasonable (again, by LA standards).

Yes, traffic patterns do very by time of day. If you are in night classes you'll find it MUCH lighter than a peak hours. I am thinking here of someone getting out of a class at 8pm or 9pm. The drive home from Pasadena to Sherman Oaks at that time would be very easy.

I just did the drive from Pasadena to Sherman Oaks today (Monday) at about 11am. I had a work related meeting. It was a BREEZE....maybe 15 to 20 minutes.

Yes...LA traffic is very unpredictable and ONE acccident can really mess things up. At the same time, there are plenty of times when things move smoothly. Good for you to be prepared for the worst....so once you get here it will seem quite manageable.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,845,666 times
I think Sherman Oaks is fine too. I think if you both had 9-5 jobs it would be more challenging but grad school is not a 9-5 and you can probably avoid traveling during commuting hours a lot of the time. I know when I was in grad school I never had to get up before 9 or 9:30 and didn't usually leave until late morning usually but your mileages will vary. Sherman Oaks to Pasadena will generally be a breeze outside of rush hours.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Another option could be around Northridge, Granada Hills and maybe Santa Susana. The 118 freeway heading eastbound to the 210 freeway into Pasadena generally isn't too bad. And the commute over the mountains to Malibu from Topanga Canyon isn't too bad either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or