U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 AM

12,023 posts, read 13,589,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Well, I know SM was a blue collar quiet predominately white town before the 60s
It's still predominately white (except for Pico, but that wasn't predominately non-Latino white before the '60s either ; Robert Redford said in an interview that even back when he grew up there it was predominately Latino and that's why he identifies with Mexican-American and Mexican culture, I think "Tomato Flats" was its old name). As close to lilywhite as anywhere so deeply connected to L.A. proper.

Quote:
so maybe there were okies.
Note that I don't consider that a bad thing necessarily, as obviously not all were racist/prejudiced (the SoCal Klan existed before the Okies came, and was rooted in earlier migrations) and they greatly enriched the culture of California, as have all groups who have come.

Quote:
But since the 80's (when I remember SM) and espeically now it's heavily Jewish and multicultural (the Palisades being probably 90% Jewish and WASP, 10% Asian). Are there prejudiced people here and in the Palisades, of course, but I think people here, at least those under 60, are better off than 99% of the country. There are some old WASPy codgers who have lived here since the 40s or 50s, especially in NSM and PP, but they're a dying breed.
If SM, Brentwood, West LA, Venice, etc. are anything to go by some of those east coast whites are white non-Jewish ethnics. Didn't realize the Palisades was that Asian - that's more than SM although that percentage is low by westside standards. I wonder though if it's there and you just don't see it. If you've lived your whole life in PP and SM you may not see it. I wonder what your black friends have to say about attitudes there. IMO, those types are grudgingly accepting of Latinos because "it's California" but quite antiblack, although not violent or outspoken about their prejudices. (I have noticed that particular prejudice is diminished if one is wealthy and famous or if one has a British accent, but a British accent is a plus for white people in those parts, too.) It'ss very subtle. Being on the "darker side of the white spectrum" I'm a little more perceptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 AM

2,807 posts, read 2,917,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
It's still predominately white (except for Pico, but that wasn't predominately non-Latino white before the '60s either ; Robert Redford said in an interview that even back when he grew up there it was predominately Latino and that's why he identifies with Mexican-American and Mexican culture, I think "Tomato Flats" was its old name). As close to lilywhite as anywhere so deeply connected to L.A. proper.

Note that I don't consider that a bad thing necessarily, as obviously not all were racist/prejudiced (the SoCal Klan existed before the Okies came, and was rooted in earlier migrations) and they greatly enriched the culture of California, as have all groups who have come.

If SM, Brentwood, West LA, Venice, etc. are anything to go by some of those east coast whites are white non-Jewish ethnics. Didn't realize the Palisades was that Asian - that's more than SM although that percentage is low by westside standards. I wonder though if it's there and you just don't see it. If you've lived your whole life in PP and SM you may not see it. I wonder what your black friends have to say about attitudes there. IMO, those types are grudgingly accepting of Latinos because "it's California" but quite antiblack, although not violent or outspoken about their prejudices. (I have noticed that particular prejudice is diminished if one is wealthy and famous or if one has a British accent, but a British accent is a plus for white people in those parts, too.) It'ss very subtle. Being on the "darker side of the white spectrum" I'm a little more perceptive.
Santa Monica is pretty diverse. The locals might be overwhelmingly white but we have a huge commuter population that includes all backgrounds. Who work, play, etc here. And as you noted Pico Blvd is pretty Hispanic.

PP is less diverse, but there are a lot of Asians there. Wealthy asians in the westside tend to settle there.

Antiblack? I don't know. I actually don't have any black friends because there are like no black people in this part of town. But I don't think either of us can assume. Though to be fair, I think if I was black and doing the same routines I do everyday, I'd feel more judged and uncomfortable, but I could say that for far more places than SM and PP - even your neighborhood of Echo Park or is it Highland Park

I also lived 4 years in Westwood and currently live near West Hollywood. Guess that's not all that different.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:35 AM

749 posts, read 1,006,841 times
Quote:
Well, I know SM was a blue collar quiet predominately white town before the 60s, so maybe there were okies. But since the 80's (when I remember SM) and espeically now it's heavily Jewish and multicultural (the Palisades being probably 90% Jewish and WASP, 10% Asian). Are there prejudiced people here and in the Palisades, of course, but I think people here, at least those under 60, are better off than 99% of the country. There are some old WASPy codgers who have lived here since the 40s or 50s, especially in NSM and PP, but they're a dying breed.
Speaking of Pacific Palisades history, I have never read this book: "What Happened to the Class of 1965" published in '76. It profiles the lives of a bunch of kids that graduated from Pali High in 1965.

Amazon.com: What Really Happened to the Class of '65 (9780394400747): Michael Medved, David Wallechinsky: Books

There was a more recent book (published in 2009 or 2010 I think) which is by a Pali High grad from the early 1980's. He covers growing up in that era with a focus on West LA but also LA in general.

I heard the guy interviewed on KXLU a few months back but I can't recall the name of the book.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 AM

12,023 posts, read 13,589,232 times
Quote:
Santa Monica is pretty diverse. The locals might be overwhelmingly white but we have a huge commuter population that includes all backgrounds. Who work, play, etc here. And as you noted Pico Blvd is pretty Hispanic.
SM does have a diversity in the different groups of white people. There is diversity within racial and ethnic groups.

Quote:
PP is less diverse, but there are a lot of Asians there. Wealthy asians in the westside tend to settle there.
Last time I checked they were still in Westwood and Beverly Hills. Although that percentage of Asians is low compared to WLA proper, CC, and MV.

Quote:
Antiblack? I don't know. I actually don't have any black friends because there are like no black people in this part of town.But I don't think either of us can assume.
I go by what I've been told and what I've observed.

Quote:
Though to be fair, I think if I was black and doing the same routines I do everyday, I'd feel more judged and uncomfortable, but I could say that for far more places than SM and PP - even your neighborhood of Echo Park or is it Highland Park
I'm actually in the Bay Area, but come on this forum for my fix of LA in lieu of not being able to come back down south more often, and LA being even more economically tore up than NorCal means I probably won't be moving back although I'd like to. LA is addictive, especially if it's home.

Said casual bigotry in the wealthy beach communities isn't obviously comparable to the violent gang activity in Highland Park. Nor was I trying to compare it to violent gang activity.

Quote:
I also lived 4 years in Westwood and currently live near West Hollywood. Guess that's not all that different.
Westwood has a large Asian population and a large Persian population, and if you're in the Miracle Mile which is near WeHo that's a very diverse area and accepting of its diversity. Much like Culver City in that regard. As for other areas near WeHo: Hollywood proper is as diverse as any area in the US.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:37 AM

5,108 posts, read 3,654,899 times
I heard that residents in Pacific Palisades are pretty old school with their attitudes. They're suspicious of minorities and those who drive raggedy cars.

Quote:
SM does have a diversity in the different groups of white people. There is diversity within racial and ethnic groups.

Last time I checked they were still in Westwood and Beverly Hills. Although that percentage of Asians is low compared to WLA proper, CC, and MV.

I'm actually in the Bay Area, but come on this forum for my fix of LA in lieu of not being able to come back down south more often, and LA being even more economically tore up than NorCal means I probably won't be moving back although I'd like to. LA is addictive, especially if it's home.

Said casual bigotry in the wealthy beach communities isn't obviously comparable to the violent gang activity in Highland Park. Nor was I trying to compare it to violent gang activity.

Westwood has a large Asian population and a large Persian population, and if you're in the Miracle Mile which is near WeHo that's a very diverse area and accepting of its diversity. Much like Culver City in that regard. As for other areas near WeHo: Hollywood proper is as diverse as any area in the US.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 AM

45 posts, read 61,557 times
Quote:
Stay in your country's forums.
Stop being such a racist

Old 12-14-2010, 10:51 AM

50,189 posts, read 42,730,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
1) That is not the way I read it. People looking back on their childhoods are bound to play up the good parts. And Steve Martin was very clear about the POSITIVE change in air quailty.

2) Of course, Densmore was exaggerating for effect regarding the Westside resembling Kansas.

Agreed...it was interesting. I rarely read that magazine but this issue caught my eye.
I grew up in Los Angeles and yes, in the 50s. In no way was any part of the city, including West L.A. and or Santa Monica anything like Kansas...

As for Okies, Arkies etc, they could be found in the San Gabriel Valley, like Glendora, El Monte, but not that many on the west side.

Nita

Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM

2,807 posts, read 2,917,407 times
Quote:

come back to LA and spend some heavy time observing. you seem very observant, so you may update your views. Why are you in the Bay anyway? No place for an LA native to be!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM

11 posts, read 18,374 times
I grew up in WLA in the 50s and 60s. Pretty idyllic really, until the riots of 1965, which, while not close, were a wake up call to many about the brewing problems in the city. Smog was awful in the early 60s. I remember days when it literally hurt to breathe.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:21 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,534,904 times
Talking West LA like Kansas at any time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
At least that is the view of John Densmore (drummer for the Doors) who grew up in West LA.

His is one of 50 "LA Stories" in the current Los Angeles Magazine which profiles 50 well known (or not so well known) people who grew up in LA and offer their view of the city's evolution.

Los Angeles Magazine

Steve Martin has a rich quote about leaving in 1970 in part because the smog was so horrible. He said he came back after the air got cleaned up and he says it was of the greatest gifts the govt. ever gave him.

The list of folks giving their LA Stories include:
Ray Bradbury
Randy Newman
Cheech Marin
Jamie Lee Curtis
Jodie Foster
You mean it snowed and had tornadoes then, but not now?

I imagine that the singer for Doors was speaking about the culture of the place. At least he KNEW what and where Kansas is; I'll bet a lot of today's performers have no idea where and what the place is unless they grew up there.

By and large, celebs and entertainers are not known for their knowledge on a wide variety of subjects, even if the public and some branches of the media would anoint them with the oil of seeming wisdom from on high because of their recognized names and abilities.

Anyway......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles