Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:12 PM

9 posts, read 37,601 times

Advertisements

I am probably asking a very popular question but would love some advice. I am looking to transfer to USC in the spring and want to live outside of downtown area because I heard its rough. I want to live on the coast, it looks like Long Beach isn't far. Is it to much to ask to live near the beach and commute to LA?? Where is a good spot to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,715 times
Well, if you live in Long Beach you can take the Blue Line MetroRail to USC. You will also have nearby access to some great areas like DT Long Beach, Belmont Shore, and the beaches of Orange County. Most other coastal communities are not well connected to downtown for commuting purposes. I guess it all depends on how long of a drive you are willing to endure and how much you can afford!

Old 07-12-2007, 02:40 PM

9 posts, read 37,601 times
great info thanks, is LB expensive? How far is OC from there?

Sounds like the metro line you speak of is a popular option... says only 25 min on mapquest...

Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,843,715 times
Yeah, I was looking at the map and it looks like the Blue Line drops you off a little was away from USC... and I'm not sure how good that neighborhood is. Anybody else have some input?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 PM

22 posts, read 201,300 times
I could be wrong, but I think the blue line only goes as far as Union Station. IMO, there's no way that would work, as it would be ridiculous as well as unsafe to walk that far to the USC campus.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:30 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD51283 View Post
great info thanks, is LB expensive? How far is OC from there?

Sounds like the metro line you speak of is a popular option... says only 25 min on mapquest...
More like 45.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Yeah, I was looking at the map and it looks like the Blue Line drops you off a little was away from USC... and I'm not sure how good that neighborhood is. Anybody else have some input?
There's a stop that's not terribly far from USC. You can bus it or walk. If you have a bike, it can go on the train and on the front of many of the buses. If you're from the country, you'll find the neighborhood scary. If you're from the city, it's really no big deal for walking or biking. IMHO Long Beach is far and at the other end of the train not a bit safer than around USC. By the time you leave school, go to the train, ride it to LB and then take another bus to get to the nice part, you're into an hour and a half or more. Downtown LB is neat IMHO but if Downtown L.A. seems scary to you, so will downtown LB. Lots of students live in West Adams which is just NW of campus and it's a really nice historic neighborhood of old homes. There are other nice neighborhoods full of university students just west of Downtown. If you live next to campus, it's an island unto itself. Many of my friends have done it and none of them were ever harmed.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 17,668 times
If you'd really like to live on the coast, then you're definitely going to have at least a 30 minute commute to USC. You could look into El Segundo or Playa del Rey, both of which are near the LAX airport. Prices are decent, and they're good residential neighborhoods. If you have more money to spend, Manhattan Beach (just south of LAX) is great too.

From that area, you can take the 105 to the 110, and straight up to USC. This should take about 30 minutes or so. Less if you start your classes around 10:30am. Or you can take the train. Depending on where you're from, the area around USC can be pretty scary. If you're going to be there after dark, it might be better to have a car with you. LA is way more fun with a car anyway. (Oh, people aren't going to be happy that I said that. But how else can you take a drive around the cliffs of Palos Verdes?)

Best of luck, and welcome to LA! You will love it if you let yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles