U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-14-2010, 02:40 PM

90 posts, read 101,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Almost everyone here says live close to your work. Truer words were never spoken. Driving is hell here, and long commutes will destroy your health, leisure, and pocketbook (gas). I once turned down a pretty good job opportunity because it was 15 miles away.
And remember that a 15-mile commute can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the start and end points. I can always tell when I'm getting a call from an out-of-area recruiter, because they're trying to sell me on jobs which are "only 20 miles away"... headed south or east of my place in West L.A., on some of the most congested freeways around. No, thanks. But that same commute north would be a piece of cake... as long as I stayed off the 405 before the 101.

People aren't exaggerating when they say how tough it is out here. The best advice I can give you is to cast a very wide net, be open to working multiple part-time jobs, and try to be the sort of person that coworkers, customers or clients would want to work with in the future.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-15-2010, 02:04 AM

23,751 posts, read 13,595,705 times
Well if you really want to do it my best advice is to rent a room from someone first, don't sign a lease. That way when you find a job you can easily move closer.

Unread 12-19-2010, 12:03 PM

11 posts, read 14,966 times
My daughter will be graduating from a school in the midwest and returning "home" to LA. She has a job lined up in Century City at an excellent salary. She doesn't much like driving so wants to be close to her job. Since she is a bit uncomfortable in most living situations (and unfounded fear of crime), finding her an affordable housing option will not be easy. Her older half brother lives in the midwest and, although I am an LA native, there is sure something to be said for a midwest lifestyle (and no just financial affordability), if one can tolerate the weather.

Unread 12-19-2010, 03:51 PM

95 posts, read 101,992 times
Hi folks,

I've been following this forum for a while now and want to hook into this topic. We're also about to move into the South Bay in spring, but not from GA or NY but from Germany...

Our workplace will be in Carson, right behind the SBP Mall. So considering the commute and the rents alone would mean that we should look for a lease somewhere in the Carson neighborhoods. On the other hand I had some deep looks into education stats and especially on lalife.com which told me pretty clearly that I should not even consider sending my 6yo daughter to a LAUSD school and prefer the westside of the South Bay.

I'd rather spend some more bucks to get her living in the TUSD. The Eastern/South Eastern parts of Torrance are some 6-7 miles away from the Pavilion and the rents are app. 30% higher, but I think this will be worth it.

I must admit that last time I've been to LA was in 1998 as a tourist and I actually was scared of downtown and West LA. So I really hope the South Bay is a better place to live...

Cheers from Bavaria

Unread 12-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
1,391 posts, read 1,155,449 times
things have improved all over the city crimewise, and let me again trumpet our 45 year-low crime rate as proof of this. downtown has improved, tho it IS downtown, you can't be that close to skid row and not be a little sketchy.

Unread 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM

14 posts, read 13,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post
Hi folks,

I've been following this forum for a while now and want to hook into this topic. We're also about to move into the South Bay in spring, but not from GA or NY but from Germany...

Our workplace will be in Carson, right behind the SBP Mall. So considering the commute and the rents alone would mean that we should look for a lease somewhere in the Carson neighborhoods. On the other hand I had some deep looks into education stats and especially on lalife.com which told me pretty clearly that I should not even consider sending my 6yo daughter to a LAUSD school and prefer the westside of the South Bay.

I'd rather spend some more bucks to get her living in the TUSD. The Eastern/South Eastern parts of Torrance are some 6-7 miles away from the Pavilion and the rents are app. 30% higher, but I think this will be worth it.

I must admit that last time I've been to LA was in 1998 as a tourist and I actually was scared of downtown and West LA. So I really hope the South Bay is a better place to live...

Cheers from Bavaria

I will be transferring to South Bay also in spring to work in Carson. So far everyone keeps telling me to put my daughter in private school. I've heard that Torrance is also a good area. I stayed in Torrance briefly while attending training for my job, and the commute wasn't bad at all. We were able to avoid the expressway and other than a few traffic lights it was a straight shot to work and back.

Unread 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM

95 posts, read 101,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodramatic View Post
We were able to avoid the expressway and other than a few traffic lights it was a straight shot to work and back.
Yeah I thought so. Google says that it just takes 20 minutes for the ride from SE Torrance, without having to enter the 110 at all. Also I'm planning to use a motorcycle as often as possible, which should reduce waiting times too by passing waiting cars at the odd intersection :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles