Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:08 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,619,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I read another thread where people were fantisizing about the "Father of the Bride" house in Pasadena. While that kind of home and neighborhood may affordable in other parts of the country it's not how most people live here. Maybe this was a case of going for the look and feel rather than the practical and necessary?

Don't worry OP, you've had some time now to figure out that the look and feel aren't worth it to you. Next time you will make a better housing choice for yourselves.

But if you can "live like kings back home" I wonder why you don't go back home?

Exactly. She also mentioned they have sold a car since coming to CA, so is she sitting at home with no vehicle? That would be awful.

I'm getting the impression they're making poor financial decisions. You're talking 42K a year in rent, even if you're making six figures that is way too much.

I knew a couple who moved from MA and were looking at places like La Canada, San Marino, etc. to buy a house. They were out of their price range. Telling them they were looking at areas that start at one million and up didn't seem to register.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:11 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,181,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
No, not at all. I think were were told by a lot of people that driving down to LA from there would be more of a pain than from Pasadena to LA. I wouldnt mind living there at all! Looks nice
I don't get this. What does driving to LA having to do with anything if you don't have to live or work there? I think you will like living closer to your husbands work!!! Commute makes all the difference.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM

600 posts, read 1,468,147 times
Quote:
I read another thread where people were fantisizing about the "Father of the Bride" house in Pasadena. While that kind of home and neighborhood may affordable in other parts of the country it's not how most people live here. Maybe this was a case of going for the look and feel rather than the practical and necessary?

Don't worry OP, you've had some time now to figure out that the look and feel aren't worth it to you. Next time you will make a better housing choice for yourselves.

But if you can "live like kings back home" I wonder why you don't go back home?
Thank you, you seem to get where we are coming from. While we do realize what we got ourselves into as far as rent goes, we knew nothing about LA before we moved. Many many people suggested this area and we are finding that the SFV would be just as good a place for us - maybe better. And now we have plenty of time to look and get into the right area.
We would go back home if there were a position for my husband there.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I don't get this. What does driving to LA having to do with anything if you don't have to live or work there? I think you will like living closer to your husbands work!!! Commute makes all the difference.
Did you read my post? My husbands territory is downtown LA. His office is in WH. We know commute makes all the difference

Old 12-15-2010, 02:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,269,876 times
This just in:

Living in Los Angeles is expensive.

How do people do it? They make a lot of money. They sacrifice. They have roommates. They're in debt. They're smart with their money.

Why do people do it? Their family is here. Their friends are here. They have to because of job. They want to be cool. They like the weather. Want to be famous.

Advice:

Find a place that costs less than $2000 a month to rent. Alter your lifestyle.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,717,216 times
Quote:
My husbands territory is downtown LA. His office is in WH. We know commute makes all the difference
What I think would help everyone is a description of what your husband's travel pattern is. For example, does he go to the WH office every day? What time? Does he go downtown every day? What time? Does he go one place a lot more than the other? Does he often go both places? If we knew things like these, together with the forum's knowledge of traffic and neighborhoods, rental price ideas, and even public transit options, we could probably come up with a couple solutions.

If he goes to WH maybe once a week, then maybe Burbank.

If he goes downtown only once a week, then maybe something closer to WH.

If he goes downtown and stays there all day and still is in WH once a week, then maybe somewhere along the metrolink between downtown and Simi Valley.

There are lots of possibilities.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM

927 posts, read 2,465,391 times
Quote:
Um our situations arent very comparable. When I was in my 20's without a family I remember living where I wanted and buying whatever I wanted. Are you suggesting we get some roommates in an apartment??
No, they aren't comparable but it's the same math. You don't have to get roommates, but my house is a 3 bed/1 bath and we pay $1600/month for it, not $3500.

I would assume your family has an income of more than $50k too.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What I think would help everyone is a description of what your husband's travel pattern is. For example, does he go to the WH office every day? What time? Does he go downtown every day? What time? Does he go one place a lot more than the other? Does he often go both places? If we knew things like these, together with the forum's knowledge of traffic and neighborhoods, rental price ideas, and even public transit options, we could probably come up with a couple solutions.

If he goes to WH maybe once a week, then maybe Burbank.

If he goes downtown only once a week, then maybe something closer to WH.

If he goes downtown and stays there all day and still is in WH once a week, then maybe somewhere along the metrolink between downtown and Simi Valley.

There are lots of possibilities.
He goes to the WH office 3x a week, Irvine 2x a week and spends the rest of the time with clients scattered throughout downtown LA. Right now he tries to plan his day so that he ends it downtown so his commute home isnt terrible. But even that changes periodically depending on meetings, etc. I appreciate any suggestions on areas to look at!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,717,216 times
Quote:
He goes to the WH office 3x a week, Irvine 2x a week and spends the rest of the time with clients scattered throughout downtown LA.
This a challenge.

Does he go to each office (Irvine and WH) for a couple of hours? For example, mornings at the offices and downtown in the afternoons? I know these questions sound down in the weeds but there may be a way to minimize his misery.

What kind of schedule flexibility does he have?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
This a challenge.

Does he go to each office (Irvine and WH) for a couple of hours? For example, mornings at the offices and downtown in the afternoons? I know these questions sound down in the weeds but there may be a way to minimize his misery.

What kind of schedule flexibility does he have?

My husband agrees with you He is in WH in the mornings and ends his day downtown if he can. If he is in Irvine that is an all day thing usually so I dont know how he can get around that. His schedule is flexible as much as he can make it be but then there are just some meetings that he can't adjust. He would like to be closer to his office and it wouldnt be a problem to adjust his schedule to end up in WH. I am thinking that is probably where we will end up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles