Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:31 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Lack of space
Noisy neighbors
No yard
No washer/dryer
No garage
Neighbors filling my apartment with smoke of various kinds
You got it - aside from the yard (which we could do without) and lack of space I would agree with this list. I would spend the extra money knowing I dont (and my children dont) have to smell anyone elses smoke or nasty apartment and that I dont have to listen to people's arguments/sex/anything else thru the wall everyday. There are parts of my sanity and my health I simply wont sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
That's outside of LA city though.
Ah, so by "everyone," you meant the actual city of Los Angeles?

I know people in Altadena, Hollywood, Pasadena, West Hollywood, Glendale, Burbank and (yes) Los Angeles to name a few. All of them... solidly middle class.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:47 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,278 times
Hey, OP: You and your husband should be living in Woodland Hills. You say he starts three out of his five day work week at the office anyway and then has to drive to downtown L.A. That's no big deal. He could be waking up much later and have a 15 minute drive on surface streets instead of a 45 minute to 1 hr commute on those days. Those days he goes to Irvine will still be a pain in the butt but I'm sure they're no picnic now considering which freeways he has to take to get home.

For less than what you're paying now, you guys could have a four bedroom house with a pool on a MORTGAGE instead of renting. The market may be down right now but it's still being maintained much higher than what those homes were going for 10 years ago and, if you're not planning on moving any time soon then your home will be an investment that you can cash in on when your husband retires.

The public high school for Woodland Hills is El Camino High School which is the number one school in the Valley. I don't know how that compares to the schools in Pasadena but it's something to think about since you guys have kids.

There is plenty of shopping and dining in the area and it's surrounding neighborhoods. The nearest "ghettoes" are in Canoga Park (which still has it's good areas) and Reseda but they're nothing in comparison to the bad areas of downtown L.A. and they have some pretty good eateries. The most you have to worry about in those "ghettoes" is people not speaking english but you may never have to go to those areas since Woodland Hills has all its essentials (grocery stores and the like) within its own city limits.

If you don't like brown skinned people then you can mostly avoid them by hanging out in Calabasas and Thousand Oaks which are 10 and 20 minutes away respectively. I say mostly because you still see the occasional brown skinned individual or couple (like my wife and me) adding some spice to the cream.

You can take Topanga Canyon to Malibu and be there in 20 minutes on most days and it's a very scenic drive. Once in Malibu, drive east for another 20 minutes when it's not rush hour and you end up in Santa Monica. Take Topanga Canyon in the opposite direction and you end up in Stoney Point, a park full of rock formations that local climbers love.

I live nearby since I can't afford to live in Woodland Hills but I see lots of "for sale" signs every time I drive in the area. Summers are VERY hot in the SFV and it might take some getting used to but that's what that pool is for.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:49 AM

600 posts, read 1,468,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Hey, OP: You and your husband should be living in Woodland Hills. You say he starts three out of his five day work week at the office anyway and then has to drive to downtown L.A. That's no big deal. He could be waking up much later and have a 15 minute drive on surface streets instead of a 45 minute to 1 hr commute on those days. Those days he goes to Irvine will still be a pain in the butt but I'm sure they're no picnic now considering which freeways he has to take to get home.

For less than what you're paying now, you guys could have a four bedroom house with a pool on a MORTGAGE instead of renting. The market may be down right now but it's still being maintained much higher than what those homes were going for 10 years ago and, if you're not planning on moving any time soon then your home will be an investment that you can cash in on when your husband retires.

The public high school for Woodland Hills is El Camino High School which is the number one school in the Valley. I don't know how that compares to the schools in Pasadena but it's something to think about since you guys have kids.

There is plenty of shopping and dining in the area and it's surrounding neighborhoods. The nearest "ghettoes" are in Canoga Park (which still has it's good areas) and Reseda but they're nothing in comparison to the bad areas of downtown L.A. and they have some pretty good eateries. The most you have to worry about in those "ghettoes" is people not speaking english but you may never have to go to those areas since Woodland Hills has all its essentials (grocery stores and the like) within its own city limits.

If you don't like brown skinned people then you can mostly avoid them by hanging out in Calabasas and Thousand Oaks which are 10 and 20 minutes away respectively. I say mostly because you still see the occasional brown skinned individual or couple (like my wife and me) adding some spice to the cream.

You can take Topanga Canyon to Malibu and be there in 20 minutes on most days and it's a very scenic drive. Once in Malibu, drive east for another 20 minutes when it's not rush hour and you end up in Santa Monica. Take Topanga Canyon in the opposite direction and you end up in Stoney Point, a park full of rock formations that local climbers love.

I live nearby since I can't afford to live in Woodland Hills but I see lots of "for sale" signs every time I drive in the area. Summers are VERY hot in the SFV and it might take some getting used to but that's what that pool is for.
Thanks very much for the tips! However we are in no place to buy. We had to short sell our home in order to move so our credit has been damaged and we will most likely be transferred again in a few years. I do think we could rent up there though.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:56 PM

277 posts, read 379,601 times
Load up on education & connections you can make it too.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:17 PM

362 posts, read 543,583 times
I know that this is a really old post, but if you're still stuck in the same housing situation, and you'd like to remain in the SGV, why not move to Arcadia? Arcadia has some great public schools and you can rent a house there very inexpensively. Now mind you, this houses available at this price point are in the less posh south Arcadia area, but considering that the city doesn't have any bad areas to speak of, I think you'd be in good shape. In fact, I just found a 3 bedroom house in Arcadia for rent on Craigslist for $1,000. DM if you'd like me to forward the link.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 PM

369 posts, read 557,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Actually, yes - I used to live in BH before moving the the desert. But $3500 for rent - especially in Pasadena - is NOT the norm. You need to look around and find a place where your landlord isn't ripping you off.
That's not true - if you rent a house in Pasadena in one of the nicer/safer neighborhoods, it IS that much for rent (for a 2-3 bedroom place). Prices - as I'm finding out - are outrageous for rent around here, worse than Beverly Hills!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,429,912 times
Really?? You're kiddin' right? 'Obscene' rent nor gangs are not everywhere. And just what city did you think you were coming to? For better or worse, Los Angeles is no nickel and dime small-timer, my friend.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 PM

475 posts, read 507,757 times
If you think LA is too expensive you should move back to your city then. Very easy.
LA isnt for everyone.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Really?? You're kiddin' right? 'Obscene' rent nor gangs are not everywhere. And just what city did you think you were coming to? For better or worse, Los Angeles is no nickel and dime small-timer, my friend.
Seriously. I don't get a lot of these posts.

1. You moved to LA because you/your husband/your wife/your parents are getting a better salary here than back wherever.

2. If you/they are getting a better salary here, there's a good chance that other people are, too.

3. If other people are getting better salaries here, then it is implied that there are better opportunities here than many other places.

4. The more opportunities there are in a place, the more people are likely to flock there so that they, too, may earn a higher salary, or start a business to take advantage of a larger number of people with a disposable income than elsewhere.

5. The more people that flock to a place, the more that housing is a commodity.

6. The hotter a commodity, the more people are generally willing to pay for it.

How is it that evidently-educated, travelled adults can possibly think that they'll be able to move to one of the most desirable places on earth, let alone the US, and find abundant and inexpensive land with miles and miles two-story houses on 1-acre lots for $250,000? If there was an area like that in LA, some company called The Mahboubi-Kerakian group would buy it up and start flipping the houses as a 200% markup and end up 200% richer in eight months...

To answer the OP's original question, though: I live quite well and comfortably out here, with very little stress, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles