U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 PM
 
899 posts, read 637,044 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Why shouldn't blacks be in Santa Maria?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Wait, what??? First of all I don't understand why that is relevant, and second of all I don't understand why this came up in the topic.

Are you some kind of prejudiced person?
I said you shouldn't move to Santa Maria if you're black. The reason why I said that is because my wife, who is black, had a very hard time there as the population is less than 1% black and a big part of the 51% majority is fresh over the border-not sure if they're even here legaly-can't even speak spanish or read sometimes- ignorant- from the mountains bigotted Mexicans.

Most of the folks who were born and brought up there, from Mexican decent or not, are actually cool with everyone but those farm workers really take the cake when it comes to racism. Hell, they didn't like me for just being able to speak English. They gave my wife a hard time at work and would stare at us when we were together at the grocery store and stuff. It got so bad that we spent as little time as possible in Santa Maria and instead would spend all of our free time in the adjacent towns like Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo. Read my blogs, I talk about it there.

Let's get back on topic though before I derail my own thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2010, 09:52 PM
 
5,375 posts, read 6,893,781 times
Reputation: 2763
Maybe I was brought up in a different place. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. I met so many different people that I don't care what race or religion they are. All they have to do is act middle class and not lay their race or religion trip on me. All I care is that they should speak English. I have some Asian friends who don't speak it very well but at least they try, and I admire them for that. They want to integrate. At least most blacks never had to deal with the language problem.

I'm sorry if I took it off topic. And I'll admit I'm a WASP, never had to deal with any of these problems. I feel that I'm doing my part to just accept people as being people without trying to put them in stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 PM
 
2,635 posts, read 2,688,844 times
Reputation: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Maybe I was brought up in a different place. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. I met so many different people that I don't care what race or religion they are. All they have to do is act middle class and not lay their race or religion trip on me. All I care is that they should speak English. I have some Asian friends who don't speak it very well but at least they try, and I admire them for that. They want to integrate. At least most blacks never had to deal with the language problem.

I'm sorry if I took it off topic. And I'll admit I'm a WASP, never had to deal with any of these problems. I feel that I'm doing my part to just accept people as being people without trying to put them in stereotypes.
You accused me of being prejudiced, and then you go off saying that people need to "act middle class" (aka white all american) and "not lay their race or religion trip on me" and "speak English"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 AM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,458 posts, read 3,563,806 times
Reputation: 2711
I'd be hard pressed to find anything less than 500k-700k in my neighborhood, and this is probably land value. Everywhere else is just too ghetto or impractical commutes. :P By ghetto I mean that I fear for my own safety, my health (proximity to freeway), and the safety of my possessions (mostly the cars). Not a racial issue in case anyone brings that up. Buying doesn't seem as appealing at this point. Even if I were to choose a cheaper condo/townhouse near my workplace the HOA fees for some places probably exceed your monthly mortgage (HOA alone = $1200).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 08:14 AM
 
3,123 posts, read 4,643,389 times
Reputation: 1651
The argument several of you are making is ridiculous unless you know what OP's takehome is.

Takehome for a couple with no kids is roughly $4K a month on an income of $75K. Mortgage plus tax, insurances, etc on a $375K house with 20% down is around $2200 per month.

For perspective, I had friends that had an income of $70K a year in 2000 and bought a $179K home with 20% down in SF Valley.

/End of thread IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 09:45 AM
 
5,375 posts, read 6,893,781 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
You accused me of being prejudiced, and then you go off saying that people need to "act middle class" (aka white all american) and "not lay their race or religion trip on me" and "speak English"
Yeah, that's right. I'm not going to socialize with somebody if they're acting all ghetto gutter talk. And in case you hadn't noticed, English is the language of America, and is also officially the language of City-Data forum, right from the TOS: "English is the only language to be used this board, use translation software if needed."

Civil people do not lay their religion on other people.

And I didn't accuse you of being prejudiced. I asked you if you were prejudiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 PM
 
899 posts, read 637,044 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
The argument several of you are making is ridiculous unless you know what OP's takehome is.

Takehome for a couple with no kids is roughly $4K a month on an income of $75K. Mortgage plus tax, insurances, etc on a $375K house with 20% down is around $2200 per month.

For perspective, I had friends that had an income of $70K a year in 2000 and bought a $179K home with 20% down in SF Valley.

/End of thread IMO.
Again, I don't see your point. Most people that I know of spend half their income on rent or mortgages. I've always pretty much spent half my income on rent and now on a mortgage. The difference is that, with the exception of my truck and my house, everything I own is payed off. So what's your point? That unless you can afford a house AND extravagances without spending half your income on your house it's not living?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM
 
11,727 posts, read 24,070,902 times
Reputation: 7104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Again, I don't see your point. Most people that I know of spend half their income on rent or mortgages. I've always pretty much spent half my income on rent and now on a mortgage. The difference is that, with the exception of my truck and my house, everything I own is payed off. So what's your point? That unless you can afford a house AND extravagances without spending half your income on your house it's not living?
That's so very LA to think that you have to spend 50% of your income on housing and forgo all luxuries to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
 
5,375 posts, read 6,893,781 times
Reputation: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That's so very LA to think that you have to spend 50% of your income on housing and forgo all luxuries to get it.
Not at all. It's quite reasonable to spend 50% of your after tax income on buying a home and forgo luxuries, because to some people having a really nice house IS their luxury. They would rather have that luxury house than have a bunch of iPhones and expensive vacations and a new car every 2-3 years and dine out in lots of expensive restaurants.

The problem that got this country into the mess it's in is people who spent 100% or 150% or 200% of their disposable income on housing. That wasn't investing--it was gambling, hoping that at some point before their personal finances collapsed they would be able to sell the house and take their profits. That is of course crazy, but it's reasonable IMO to spend half your disposable income on housing particularly if you have no credit card debt, no consumer debt, no cars or motorcycles or other stuff on monthly loans.

I don't recall him saying it but I'll bet if you ask Fatman how much credit card debt he has he'll tell you he pays off every card in full at the end of each month. That's exactly what I do too. That's why it's not crazy for him to spend half of his disposable income on his luxury house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM
 
11,727 posts, read 24,070,902 times
Reputation: 7104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Not at all. It's quite reasonable to spend 50% of your after tax income on buying a home and forgo luxuries, because to some people having a really nice house IS their luxury. They would rather have that luxury house than have a bunch of iPhones and expensive vacations and a new car every 2-3 years and dine out in lots of expensive restaurants.

The problem that got this country into the mess it's in is people who spent 100% or 150% or 200% of their disposable income on housing. That wasn't investing--it was gambling, hoping that at some point before their personal finances collapsed they would be able to sell the house and take their profits. That is of course crazy, but it's reasonable IMO to spend half your disposable income on housing particularly if you have no credit card debt, no consumer debt, no cars or motorcycles or other stuff on monthly loans.

I don't recall him saying it but I'll bet if you ask Fatman how much credit card debt he has he'll tell you he pays off every card in full at the end of each month. That's exactly what I do too. That's why it's not crazy for him to spend half of his disposable income on his luxury house.
The problem with spending a high percentage of your income on a single "luxury" like a house is that you're committed to that payment for a very long time. If there's any interruption in your income, you've got a big problem. If instead you spend less on housing and spend the difference on other luxuries like vacations, hobbies, dining out, trips to Vegas, etc., you can cut those out in a minute should one spouse lose their income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top