Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,050,177 times

Advertisements

Why is the area around these streets so ugly. There must be a lot of history there. Except for some designated areas, LA is really a ugly city, what happen to all the glamour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 02:22 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,664 times
Broadway and Central run parallel. They do not intersect. They both run in downtown and then to south LA for miles (and Broadway also goes north to Chinatown).

Your post is far too vague....for a response. Try being more specific.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
LA is really a ugly city, what happen to all the glamour.
Is the intersection you're talking about in the Valley? I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:37 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,229 times
Quote:
Why is the area around these streets so ugly. There must be a lot of history there. Except for some designated areas, LA is really a ugly city, what happen to all the glamour.

try Bev Hills Malibu etc...still lots of glamour ...tho not many of us can afford to live there..now or ever

Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Another vague, clueless post by someone with an axe to grind.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:19 PM

Not an axe to grind but going south on Central and Broadway from downtown is ugly. I brought some German friends with me and they were appaleed around that area. This is the area that cool west coast jazz started. I know this goes into So Central and Watts and Compton but what gives. Another complaint is that the street lights are not bright enough to see street signs at night. Orange county, Manhatten Beach, Santa Monica, Bev Hills and Hollywood(west LA) was cool.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I'm sure your German friends were appalled because, as everyone knows, there are no ugly parts of German cities, especially in the heavily-industrialized Ruhr Area.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:47 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
That is not a particularly attractive part of LA. Personally, I do not care for the area east of Hill St although I have friends that say Spring St is hopping.

But to visit a rundown area and then proclaim LA ugly is disingenuous. Especially when you said you visited better areas and found those "cool". Sounds like you have an agenda.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:20 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,664 times
Quote:
Not an axe to grind but going south on Central and Broadway from downtown is ugly. I brought some German friends with me and they were appaleed around that area. This is the area that cool west coast jazz started. I know this goes into So Central and Watts and Compton but what gives. Another complaint is that the street lights are not bright enough to see street signs at night. Orange county, Manhatten Beach, Santa Monica, Bev Hills and Hollywood(west LA) was cool.
The area you are talking about was THE center of Black Los Angeles a LONG, LONG time ago. This is the area along Central, South of Downtown LA but North of South LA/Watts (between Adams & Vernon).

That area went into decline as far back 1960 or so when civil rights and fair housing laws allowed middle class blacks to move to other parts of the city.

Some community groups have tried to "clean up" that area. THey have a jazz festival annually. But it's been a pretty scruffy area for a long time. Not sure why you took out of town guests there unless there are big time jazz buffs. If you took them there you should have taken them to the Watts Towers..
Central Avenue Jazz Festival - 2010 15th Annual Central Ave Jazz Festival

Plenty of "historic" parts of LA that "used" to be nice are now shall we say not so nice. Broadway in downtown (between 3rd and 9th) in one example. Spring Street is an area that went from good to bad and now is pretty good.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
That is not a particularly attractive part of LA. Personally, I do not care for the area east of Hill St although I have friends that say Spring St is hopping.

But to visit a rundown area and then proclaim LA ugly is disingenuous. Especially when you said you visited better areas and found those "cool". Sounds like you have an agenda.
No agenda, but I guess everyone believes all this Hollywood bs and think LA is the cat's meow. Once they go there it is very disappointing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles