Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,686,692 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is unusual because it never rains for more 5 days straight. We are expected to get 6 straight days of the rain. We are really getting pounded by the rain. Am I nervous about this? Of course not. I'd be more fearful of a tornado or a big hurricane than a rain storm like this. I agree that that people here don't know how to drive, they don't know how to drive period. It doesn't matter if it is dry or rainy. I don't even drive so it doesn't matter to me how much it rains.

Besides, the dry sunny weather will be back. and then it is going to be the same thing that repeats itself over and over again. but at least the weather won't be over 80 thank goodness!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,216,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Honestly, I worry about driving in this weather because people here are so terrified of rain. You don't know how to drive in it! That's why there are accidents.

I guess I'm just used to more extreme weather. Don't get me wrong, the amazing weather is why I moved here. I've seen things, in Boston, that would make your toes curl. Compared to there (where I believe it is 17 degrees & snowing), this rain is nothing.

I thought it was understood that SoCal natives were kind of babies when it came to the weather. I tease my friends about it. I didn't mean to be offensive. Hell, I get teased by my family for saying it's cold when it's "only" 45 degrees out!

I get depressed when it rains for more than 2 or 3 days, but I'm still so grateful to be here (where it's only raining) than back in Boston!!!

Sandy, people die as the result of a lot of things. A lot of serious things and a lot of stupid things. If I stopped and thought about each and every one of those situations and lost my sense of humor... well... life wouldn't really be worth living and I would live in fear. People have died from sneezing and yet I still laugh when my husband does one of his ridiculous sneezes.

I apologize for offending you.
Why is it people who aren't from here need to boast about how bad the weather is where they're from?

"Where I'm from, it rains 10 times as hard for months at a time; you people are all whimps, bwahahaha...this is nothing...I once rowed a boat across my lawn in Minnesota...har har har."

Then the same people are here in the summer talking about how they have the AC cranked up to maximum as soon as the outdoor temperature exceeds 80F.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Why is it people who aren't from here need to boast about how bad the weather is where they're from?
And they assume we've never heard that stuff before. The "back home" weather boasting gets as old as the NYC transplants boasting about their frikkin pizza endlessly. Ad infinitum, ad nauseam...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,516,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
,,,This is a very unusual weather pattern for this time of year in Southern California (this is typical weather for February in wet years), and all of this wet weather is coming over in a long stream from Asia! Usually, storms like this originate near Hawaii in what meteorologists like to call "The Pineapple Express". I'm a little freaked out, because I've lived here all of my life (I'm 47) and I've never seen this before.
You do not remember the 70's when it rained all the time, or the El Nino's in 82 and 83. 1995 seemed like it rained 300 days of the year. 1997 I was to go to a xmas party in Laguna Beach, got cancelled as the hotel was flooded.

February conditions are much colder.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Don't forget the 2004-05 season. 38" that year fell at Downtown, even more out here in the IE. It rained for days and days at a time.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,330,819 times
I remember all too well the Panorama Fire in the San Bernardino mountains in the early 1980s and the aftermath when rains resulted in a massive mudslide. We owned a home in the Del Rosa area of San Berdoo at the time. The fire burned within a very few blocks of our house and the following mudslide took out the entire street next to ours, burying all the houses under several feet of mud, and also took out our front yard and street. All our equity evaporated overnight.

Heavy rains in SoCal are no joking matter!

Old 12-19-2010, 06:02 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And they assume we've never heard that stuff before. The "back home" weather boasting gets as old as the NYC transplants boasting about their frikkin pizza endlessly. Ad infinitum, ad nauseam...
For the same reason LA people need to go out of their way to announce how much they don't care about celebrities.

It's constantly a shock to me how people here freak out about the rain. And it's a freakish source of pride in Boston... the hellish winters. That's all.

(And in all fairness, NYC DOES have way better pizza. LA has way better Mexican food. You should see the Boston board people who are from SoCal bitching about the lack of good Mexican. Works both ways.)

Old 12-19-2010, 06:12 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
LA has way better Mexican food. You should see the Boston board people who are from SoCal bitching about the lack of good Mexican. Works both ways.)
Visit New Mexico and then tell we So. Californians we have good Mexican food. I double dog dare you!

Noting my departing So. Cal. status. If I loved it here I'd be staying. Voting with my feets...

Old 12-19-2010, 06:17 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Visit New Mexico and then tell we So. Californians we have good Mexican food. I double dog dare you!

Noting my departing So. Cal. status. If I loved it here I'd be staying. Voting with my feets...
I HAVE visited NM, as a matter of fact. I can't remember if I had Mexican, though. I will say that 10 years ago, at a crappy motel restaurant in NM, I had the best steak of my life. I finally understood what "melt in the mouth" truly meant.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times
I didn't quite have steak in mind, but we don't seem to be in disagreement.

One possible future plan I have is to take cooking classes in Santa Fe. NM Mexican of course...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles