U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,117 times
Default How much do RN"S

Hi,
Can anyone tell me how much an ICU RN earns per hour in LA with 9 years experience?
Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 PM

10,005 posts, read 12,863,839 times
First off do you have a California RN licensure?

I have seen the starting pay range from $38 and up per hour. That is for the base pay. For those that are reading and don't know, in nursing it is a 12 hour shift. Based on that the base is for hours under 8 per shift. Many places may even pay double time for the remaining 4 hours bringing the average shift per hour pay to $50.67 an hour. UCLA Health System offers a base of $52 an hour but want you to have a BSN.

Saying that remember that many places are limiting their hiring. Also many places are slow right now and in most cases you might not work 3 - 12 hour shifts.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:09 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,343,389 times
I find the fact that nurses work a 12 hour shift somewhat horrifying! How on earth could someone do a good job after working for 10+ hours?! Mistakes get made and people die as a result.

This is (one of the reasons) why I stay out of hospitals.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:51 AM

10,005 posts, read 12,863,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I find the fact that nurses work a 12 hour shift somewhat horrifying! How on earth could someone do a good job after working for 10+ hours?! Mistakes get made and people die as a result.

This is (one of the reasons) why I stay out of hospitals.
The truth is that you arive for work and clock in 15 minutes before your shift starts and stay 15 minutes after your shift ends, so it is really 12 and a half hours. You still need to take a half hour lunch break somewhere in there, that is why the additional time. Also it isn't work like sitting at a desk for 12 hours strait. What you are getting paid for is your knowledge. Nursing and medicine is a knowledge based industry. For many nurses they have a tech to do the heavy lifting lets say. Kind of like having an assistant. Funny thing is that in most hospitals that assistant gets to help with a dozen or so patients while the Nurse is limited to working with a single patient in the ICU, or in other diciplines within nursing, to maybe 4 patients on a med surge floor.

In the case of an ICU nurse, where you only have a single patient, that patient is monitored by computer, including a computer based sleep surface that can assist in more than just monitoring but in also making sure that the patient doesn't get bed sores from lack of movement. An ICU nurse could end up sitting monitoring a computer screen while in full view of the patient and at times may only get up and check on the patient every so often during the shift. Then again you could have a patient that needs your constant assistance. You never know. I have seen nurses that have spent their entire shift hovering over a patient that was in need. I have also seen nurses that have spent the entire shift on their computer monitoring facebook or some other site.

Sure that can be tiring. I know in my wifes case she works a 12 hour shift and is at home sleeping during the day. Then she does get 4 days a week off. Some nurses that may not have a set schedule can end up working 6 days and then taking 8 days off. I have seen it happen. We get paid every other week and a full bi-weekly workload for a nurse would be 6 - 12 hour shifts. How many industries do you know where you could have an 8 day vacation 26 times a year?

Also how many professions do you know of where you can earn so much for so little schooling? We start our RN's off at $30 an hour. After 6 months they make $33 and hour. After a year they make $36 an hour. By then they can stay where they are and get a regular yearly increase of 2% (this year anyway.) to 4 or 5% in a normal year. Or then can choose to move into a dicipline within nursing such as Intensive Care nursing, Emergency Room nursing, NICU Nursing. Lots of options. Many of those options come with a nice increase in pay. An ICU or CCU nurse can earn an additional $5 an hour. If a nurse works in a surgical unit and is on call for the night they can make $5 an hour while sitting at home, and that can last from 5pm till 8am the next day, or it could last from 5pm Friday till 8am Monday. How many professions can you name that offer that?

If you work a night shift or hours after 3PM we have a diffrential pay system. For Nurses if you work between 3pm and 11pm you make an additional $2.50 an hour. If you work from 11PM till 7am you make an additional $5.00 an hour. In years past we also had a bonus program. Every 6 months nurses would recieve a retention bonus that was $5,000. That has now been suspended because of the economy and for the moment it is easy to retain nurses. When the economy improves that may come back. I for one see it as a great profession to be in. we have some amazing people in the industry that love what they do and working the 12 hour shifts has not affected too much. Sure it can be a drag sometimes but they end up going with it especially as they drive home in the late model BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, or what ever car is hot at the moment. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles