Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 12:00 PM

6 posts, read 30,940 times

Advertisements

Hi
I start my new job in downtown LA this fall and was wondering what you all thought about living in K-town. Is it really as unsafe as previous posts say? I visited the area and some streets, such as serrano, have pretty nice apartment buildings at around 850+ for a single. Does the area turn scary at night?
What about other areas around downtown. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I look West more or is the commute awful each morning? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,490 times
I've been told that Korea town has a community police center that you can call to find out how safe each area is around here, but I have not called it. You should be fine if you stay north of Wilshire Blvd. and don't go further north than Fourth Street. Sorry, I don't have that telephone number, but if you call the non-emergency number for the LA police department and let them know that you want to speak to the Korea town station, I'm sure they will direct you to the right telephone number. I live in Korea town and although I don't usually venture out at night, sometimes I do and I haven't ever had a single problem. The biggest problem is with homeless people being on the street and not having any bathroom facilities to use. But, you'll see that problem even if you go further west and yes, the commute will be longer.

One nice advantage of Korea town if you have a downtown job is that you can take the underground train to work and not have to pay the very large parking lot fees and go throught he hassle of trying to park your car there.

However, depending on your financial resources, you might want to also look at Pasadena or even Glendale, as both of these cities are close to downtown LA.

Good luck in your housing search and new job.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
Hi, asdf. Good luck with your new job. Are you from another part of L.A. or out of town? Male or female? This might have bearing on what you are used to in urban living by yourself.

The last time I posted about Koreatown, where my husband works and with which we are both familiar day and night, someone said I was anti-Korean for pointing out that parts of it are extremely blighted, and the people that live there tend to leave as soon as they can afford to do so. In my defense, I would venture that it's not the Koreans who make trouble for their own neighborhood.

Let's say you can't find the right rental within the 4 block area mentioned above, which would in fact be very convenient to the Wilshire/Western metro underground rail to downtown. You would still be walking to and from it, better blocks or non better blocks, early morning and later in the evening. You would be walking through an area of poor people newly arrived from other countries who are not familiar with American ways, and possibly a lot of criminals who prey upon them.

I can't tell you how many times I've almost been hit by wild, speeding drivers there. I'm a pedestrian who is following our laws, they're drivers who don't. You would also be walking through some densely populated areas with a lot of street people, illegal vendors, and lots of people who don't speak English, particularly south of Wilshire.

I have a friend who went for "cheap" on a Serrano block studio apartment, against my recommendation. As a single female living alone on a ground floor, she was targeted by a rapist within 3 months of her arrival. Luckily she got away.

The eternal question of affordiblity vs. commuting time vs. safety is an ongoing one in L.A. If you're brand new to L.A., I'd say go for safety initially, then when you get your bearings you can find something more convenient to work in an area that you can see is suitable. When I'm in Koreatown late at night, I'm glad to have a car that won't break down.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:24 PM
NDA

84 posts, read 432,882 times
I live in Hancock Park which isn't too far from Korea Town. I go to the library and grocery store in Korea Town. I don't know too much about the part of the area that is between Wilshire and Melrose but all the areas that I have seen between Wilshire and Olympic seem to be nice and quiet.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,490 times
Hi again,

I suggest that you call the LAPD nonemergency telephone number and ask them specifically about the area that you are interested in moving to in Korea Town. Here is the non-emergency number: 1-877-275-5273 or 877-ASK-LAPD.

I usually agree with Fastfilm, but just can't agree all the way on this one. I ride the metro train all the time and haven't been hassled going to or from the train even once. At one point, I took a train at about 5 a.m. and didn't get in until about 8:30 p.m. for about four months and I was not bothered even once.

However, I was prepared with a whistle and pepper spray most days and evenings. Also, I took the added precaution of having an inside dead bolt installed as soon as I moved into my apartment, which was one of the greatest and least expensive investments I have ever made. I suggest that all women who move here have an inside dead bolt installed so they know it will be far more difficult for anyone to break in while they are inside.

Again, good luck on both the new job and new home.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:35 PM

852 posts, read 3,814,137 times
Sure, some streets in that area are busy (Vermont seems like one swap meet some days) and parking is tough, but to paint the area as bad because the residents are newcomers is ridiculous. It's dense and urban, with lifestyle precautions needed because of that, not because of ethnicity. Be careful in any tightly packed commercial/residential neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:13 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
It's improved a great deal in the last few years. It used to be scary as heck. Considering price, architecture and urban vibe, it can be a bargain. Judge it on a block by block basis. Some streets are lovely, some are gritty and a lot fall in between. Some of the architecture is stunning. Some of the most fabulous apartments lie in K Town. I was surprised last time I did an investigative walk at night. Lots of young professionals live there now.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:33 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
To add to ChristineJoan's excellent urban safety advice, be sure to install window locks as well. My friend's would-be rapist gained entry that way. My forays through Koreatown have shown very densely crowded apartments, viable gang presence. The school there where my husband works frequently has lockdowns due to criminal activity pursued by police. Parents are called and told not to come fetch their children until it's all clear.

Here's a link to the LAPD crime maps. You should customize this, picking a mile or so wider than Koreatown to give perspective of neighboring communities, and choose a week's stats for the intersection of Wilshire and Western, LA 90006. The stats to me show more violent robbery than other neighborhoods. The auto thefts reflect the normal problem in L.A. for areas that haven't sufficient onsite parking. Speaking of "normal," I would also add that many Los Angeles residents are somewhat desensitized to our problems, as many of our everpresent woes would not be what one encounters in prosperous, middle class areas in other large cities. Again, good luck, whatever your decisions.

LAPD | e-policing and crime stats

Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM

40 posts, read 132,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDA View Post
I live in Hancock Park which isn't too far from Korea Town. I go to the library and grocery store in Korea Town. I don't know too much about the part of the area that is between Wilshire and Melrose but all the areas that I have seen between Wilshire and Olympic seem to be nice and quiet.
Good for you LOL !!!!LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles