Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 AM

5 posts, read 80,271 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Hope you can help me. I am 19 years old and in the process of getting my GED. I will be moving to the Los Angeles area in February. I was wondering if the community colleges in LA require high school diploma/or GED. I went to LACC's website and they only said "You have to be 18 and over and have a motivation to learn" or something like that. Does the same go for SMC, Moorpark, Pasadena, and Pierce? I cannot find any information on SMC's website. I clicked on the admissions catergory and they only said "to enroll you must apply online and take your assessment tests". Can anyone familiar with this topic please help me?

--Confused Girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 PM

171 posts, read 528,872 times
No, you don't need a HS diplomas or a GED certificate to enroll in any community college in California. I think in order to get an A.A. or A.S. degree, or transfer to a four-year college at the end of your two years in a community college you would need to have obtained a HS diploma or a GED. Since you're working towards completion of your GED now that wouldn't be a problem for you.

You don't say whether you're moving from another state; that's why I included the non-resident info. It would ony affect the amount you would pay.

Here are two links to this type of information:
CaliforniaColleges.edu - Admission Requirements

CCCApply - Home

I hope this was helpful. Best wishes in your academic endeavors!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post
No, you don't need a HS diplomas or a GED certificate to enroll in any community college in California. I think in order to get an A.A. or A.S. degree, or transfer to a four-year college at the end of your two years in a community college you would need to have obtained a HS diploma or a GED. Since you're working towards completion of your GED now that wouldn't be a problem for you.

You don't say whether you're moving from another state; that's why I included the non-resident info. It would ony affect the amount you would pay.

CCCApply - Home

Thank you SO much!

You are the best!!! TY! <3

Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,695,580 times
You will need to pass assessment testing for english(the language arts variety) and math. They generally don't need to be taken right away, but many classes require these assessments to have been taken in order to enroll(particularly english, as many classes require a college level writing ability)

Old 01-08-2011, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
You will need to pass assessment testing for english(the language arts variety) and math. They generally don't need to be taken right away, but many classes require these assessments to have been taken in order to enroll(particularly english, as many classes require a college level writing ability)
That's what I'm really good at actually. (English is my minor) I'm more worried about the Math exam.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:19 AM

26,596 posts, read 26,491,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedGirl23 View Post
I'm more worried about the Math exam.
You take the assessment tests before you sign up for any classes. If you don't pass the English or math proficiency test, you must take a remedial course in it for no credit. You have two semesters to pass the course.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM

244 posts, read 627,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden52 View Post

CCCApply - Home

Great website, really helps!

I myself am coming to the Los Angeles area from Montreal, Canada as of course, an International Student.

I'm 22 years old, currently doing adult-ed, and should get my HS diploma in April (I am missing 6 credits).

Since we're in the topic, I figured I'd throw a question myself;

- As an International student, you cannot expect to receive financial aid from a school, although there are government organizations that do provide financial assistance for students from outside the country to help pay for Tuition. Is that correct?

- I might plan to try-out for a sports team, maybe football or something (at the Santa Monica College team). I hear when you play for the school teams, you get help with your financial?

I am planning to attend the Santa Monica College where tuition for I-Students is $6,000 and apparently cost will go down after a year (if I can establish myself a resident card). I plan to bring $9 to $11,000 with me to cover for my year and hopefully get some help on the financial side of things.

I plan on getting some roommates (who come across as personal friends, so it will help me save money on rent). I am not a big spender, wise with my money and understand I'll have no mommy and daddy to help me (although I can't remember the last time I asked them money, I was always able to get money myself) so I will be wise with the way I spend money. Of course, I plan to get a part-time job also, just to help rounding my end of the month.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:55 PM

26,596 posts, read 26,491,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
Since we're in the topic, I figured I'd throw a question myself....I am planning to attend the Santa Monica College where tuition for I-Students is....
Check SMC's link: Admissions

Old 01-08-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You take the assessment tests before you sign up for any classes. If you don't pass the English or math proficiency test, you must take a remedial course in it for no credit. You have two semesters to pass the course.

Like I said I probably will pass the English exam as I am exceptional in English. I'm really horrible in math though.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
Great website, really helps!

I myself am coming to the Los Angeles area from Montreal, Canada as of course, an International Student.

I'm 22 years old, currently doing adult-ed, and should get my HS diploma in April (I am missing 6 credits).

Since we're in the topic, I figured I'd throw a question myself;

- As an International student, you cannot expect to receive financial aid from a school, although there are government organizations that do provide financial assistance for students from outside the country to help pay for Tuition. Is that correct?

- I might plan to try-out for a sports team, maybe football or something (at the Santa Monica College team). I hear when you play for the school teams, you get help with your financial?

I am planning to attend the Santa Monica College where tuition for I-Students is $6,000 and apparently cost will go down after a year (if I can establish myself a resident card). I plan to bring $9 to $11,000 with me to cover for my year and hopefully get some help on the financial side of things.

I plan on getting some roommates (who come across as personal friends, so it will help me save money on rent). I am not a big spender, wise with my money and understand I'll have no mommy and daddy to help me (although I can't remember the last time I asked them money, I was always able to get money myself) so I will be wise with the way I spend money. Of course, I plan to get a part-time job also, just to help rounding my end of the month.

hehe I am planning to go to SMC as well. I was visiting my cousins who live there and I went to SMC to check it out. I liked it more than LAVC.(close to where I was staying). I plan on moving to SFV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles