Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

The big problem with PV is that it's mostly winding side streets that go here and there. Which means it takes a long time and a lot of driving to get off the hill. And the odds are you will want to get off the hill regularly because there isn't too much to do up there, and a lot of the kids' activities are likely to be in Torrance or Redondo.

I used to live in Manhattan and loved it, but with a family I think West or South Torrance and Redondo Beach are the two best choices. Torrance has bigger yards and will have a lot more kids nearby for your kids to play with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
For preschools take a look at some of the various reviews here: Preschools Torrance

As far as ones we've heard good things about this one has been mentioned: Seaside Parent Participation Nursery School

This preschool requires parents to actually participate which I know sounds a bit foreign to some. But look at the reviews which speak for themselves.

I know a lot of new parents get all worked up about finding an 'ivy league' type preschool for their little potential genius. But honestly most of the things which are taught in preschools can easily be taught by the parents themselves. This is especially true if the parents have any kind of decent educational background. We started our first child in a preschool just like all of our other new parent friends. However we soon came to realize we could do this very thing and more ourselves right at home. But of course everyone has their preferences. And there are a lot of dual income families in the South Bay simply due to the high cost of living. So if mom and dad are both burning the midnight oil at work, then preschool becomes more of a necessity and typically better than daycare.

BTW, Manhattan Beach Preschool got pretty mixed reviews from some of the parents: Manhattan Beach Preschool

And yes a number of the more well known preschools have waiting lists of 1 year+.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-08-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The big problem with PV is that it's mostly winding side streets that go here and there. Which means it takes a long time and a lot of driving to get off the hill. And the odds are you will want to get off the hill regularly because there isn't too much to do up there, and a lot of the kids' activities are likely to be in Torrance or Redondo.

I used to live in Manhattan and loved it, but with a family I think West or South Torrance and Redondo Beach are the two best choices. Torrance has bigger yards and will have a lot more kids nearby for your kids to play with.
Exactly, in Torrance you will still find streets where children are walking around, playing, riding bikes and parents are out walking their babies. There a normal flat streets which are better for riding bikes, scooters, skates, playing basketball, riding to nearby parks, etc...

While in MB or PV young children are much more a rare bird. Sometimes a family with more than one child might be a novelty to the fancy upscale neighborhood. Oh, look honey isn't that special, wait hold your breath, it's a f-a-m-i-l-y.

My wife lived on the Hill while we were dating and it was a bit of a drive for her to get down into the commoner's areas for work and such. LOL.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-08-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,276 times
Thanks for the info and opinions. We're going to start off renting for a while since we're coming out of a bad real estate experience here on the east coast... I think we'll be jaded for a while!

The parent participation school looks interesting. I did that with my older daughter, so I'm very familiar with it.

Looks like we're thinking along the right lines which makes me feel a bit better. I'd heard about the RPV schools closing down but I've heard they are re-opening many now with more families moving back to the area... so I may still check it out. Not too worried about the driving in and out - we're used to that. And commute-wise, my husband has been doing an hour each way, so this will be a piece of cake in comparison.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjsmom View Post
Thanks for the info and opinions. We're going to start off renting for a while since we're coming out of a bad real estate experience here on the east coast... I think we'll be jaded for a while!

The parent participation school looks interesting. I did that with my older daughter, so I'm very familiar with it.

Looks like we're thinking along the right lines which makes me feel a bit better. I'd heard about the RPV schools closing down but I've heard they are re-opening many now with more families moving back to the area... so I may still check it out. Not too worried about the driving in and out - we're used to that. And commute-wise, my husband has been doing an hour each way, so this will be a piece of cake in comparison.
There are a lot of options in the South Bay. And most of it will boil down to your personal preferences. So if you haven't visited yet, I highly recommend seeing these neighborhoods for yourselves before leasing/buying. While listening to opinions from others including those on forums is a good place to start, nothing compares to first hand experience.

If you are still thinking about Palos Verdes as an option, also take a look at some of the parts where Torrance and PV meet like the Riviera which is where the elevation just begins to climb up 'The Hill.' It's near Riviera Village and South High School. The Palos Verdes Peninsula is a pretty large piece of land. So neighborhoods can can vary quite a bit. Most are pretty nice, treed and hilly. It's actually one of the most beautiful locations in LA County with areas for horseback riding, whale watching, a nice botanical gardens and more. And some parts are quite exclusive - 'Behind the Gates.' It feels more removed from the city which it is.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-08-2011 at 06:01 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There are a lot of options in the South Bay. And most of it will boil down to your personal preferences. So if you haven't visited yet, I highly recommend seeing these neighborhoods for yourselves before leasing/buying. While listening to opinions from others including those on forums is a good place to start, nothing compares to first hand experience.

If you are still thinking about Palos Verdes as an option, also take a look at some of the parts where Torrance and PV meet like the Riviera which is where the elevation just begins to climb up 'The Hill.' It's near Riviera Village and South High School. The Palos Verdes Peninsula is a pretty large piece of land. So neighborhoods can can vary quite a bit. Most are pretty nice, treed and hilly. It's actually one of the most beautiful locations in LA County with areas for horseback riding, whale watching, a nice botanical gardens and more. And some parts are quite exclusive - 'Behind the Gates.' It feels more removed from the city which it is.

Derek
The RPV side is nice but beach access can be difficult (cliffs) and the fog and low clouds can be a cold bummer for that side of PV when at the same time its warm and sunny on the Torrance side.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:07 PM

113 posts, read 553,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post

If we moved our family back to the area we would pick Torrance. You just have to stay West of Western primarily. Otherwise you wind up in Torrance PO which isn't really Torrance at all but rather Harbor Gateway - a very high crime area to be avoided. It's also LA Unified which is also to be avoided.

Just look for a house to rent in South or West Torrance in you can swing it. North Torrance isn't bad either. Otherwise Eastern Torrance or 'Old Torrance' (between Crenshaw and Cabrillo) is alright. However as you approach Western it gets worse.
Completely agree. When people generally speak bad of Torrance, they're referring to the areas that are 'Torrance PO' and really aren't part of Torrance at all except for mailing address...that's why prices drop off a cliff when you cross Western since you'll lose the Torrance schools and services...

Old 02-11-2011, 05:06 PM

52 posts, read 181,375 times
this is all very useful info for me too, since we are looking to move into the area as well (but as long term renters).

But what about areas west of Western, but north of the 405? We see some nice looking house rental listings just west of crenshaw but north of the 405 and just south of the alondra golf course and el camino college.

does the whole idea of "stay west of Western" also apply to areas north of the 405?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
generally speaking the areas of north/east of the 405 are not as desirable. i've known some good people who live in that area, but things can get real sketchy quickly as you continue east towards north long beach, gardena, and compton. if you have kids, it's also not an ideal spot if you are looking for good schools.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
generally speaking the areas of north/east of the 405 are not as desirable. i've known some good people who live in that area, but things can get real sketchy quickly as you continue east towards north long beach, gardena, and compton. if you have kids, it's also not an ideal spot if you are looking for good schools.
I agree for the most part. You are talking about straddling the Gardena border where things can start to get dicey. But it also depends on your situation. I mean are you are somewhat younger with children, or an older couple not as concerned with schools? If that is the case there are some ok areas just south of El Camino College for example in and area of Gardena known as El Camino Villiage. I have several friends who have owned homes there and its not too bad for Gardena. But overall you have to be very careful in places like Gardena, Hawthorne, Carson, Inglewood, etc...

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles