U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:53 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,271,127 times

Advertisements

You'll probably either love it or hate it. I moved here from Boston, and I love it. I have friends who moved here, also from Boston, who hated it and moved back. I have other friends who've moved here from all parts of the US and love it. My dad & stepmom recently visited and they don't really like it here. They thought it was dirty (certainly PARTS of LA, but we were mostly in Burbank... so I don't know what they're talking about) and the mountains of Vermont are much nicer.

"But... you don't walk out of your front door and have the mountains of Vermont right there!" I replied. They agreed, but then said they wanted to move to Vermont, heh. They also admitted Boston was also "dirty."

It's a very different vibe out here. The people are generally friendlier. I think all the sunshine puts people in a better mood. It's much more laid back than the east coast, too. Expensive as hell, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 12:19 PM

40 posts, read 42,867 times
I think people move to California for the wrong reasons, which is why they move back. It isn't for everyone. Yes, it's expensive, but you have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of such a decision. For the average person, it will be difficult to buy a house at 30, even making low 6 figures.

A lot of people in their 20s move to California to pursue the "Entourage" or "The Hills" lifestyle. Sure, it works for a few people, but most wind up disappointed. Though, if they don't try, they never will have the opportunity.

If one moves to California for job opportunities, a more laid back lifestyle, and friendly people, then that generally is the correct decision (though not always). Again, you won't know until you try.

People get freaked out when they get to LA and realize not everyone is a beautiful celebrity and not everyone lives a celebrity lifestyle.

Personally, I can't wait to move to LA soon. I have friends there who love it and friends who used to live there and now moved back home. But I know it'll work for me. I like the lifestyle, I like the food options, and the nightlife.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:19 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,978,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Here's some helpful clues for you once you get here:
Nobody cares about the Yankees
Yeah okay.....
Keep on lying to yourself.
You know the truth.
Lets go Yanks!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:01 PM

52 posts, read 165,524 times
I lived in NYC (Queens, Brooklyn) for 25 years, and moved to LA with my wife 3 years ago. I keep telling my loved ones back east that I’m never moving back to New York, we just love it too much here. But that doesn’t mean that we have a bunch of New Yorkers that are moving back, or people we know that don’t like it as much.

LA is very different from NYC, and I hate those comparison threads and discussions about NYC vs LA, which is better bla bla bla. They are similar in some ways but different.

Here is what I love about LA:
- the weather. Yes it gets gloomy for a few weeks in June, and we can have some serious rains in the winter, but 70 degrees and sunny pretty much most of the year just seals the deal. NYC has a few nice days in the spring and a few nice days in the fall, you either sweat in the subways all summer, or freeze in the snow in the winter. And you can have a bad day at work here in LA, and that sunshine makes it not so bad. Step into a slush puddle in NYC on a bad day and you wanna murder somebody, that’s no way to live, i'm sorry.
- The beautiful scenery and geography. The beautiful 8,000 ft peaks (that are covered in snow in the winter!) and the wide beaches. Yes there are some nasty beaches too, but drive up the PCH where the mountains go into the sea. We have friends in Malibu and just absolutely love it every time we are out there.
- The overall laid back pace. The guy at the grocery store will actually say hello, and the drivers will let you pull out of your driveway. Yes there is road rage out there, but personally, the drivers and people in general are so much nicer here than in NYC. I cant believe people actually don't block the intersections here, and me being a NYC driver, a lot of people drive too slow for me
- The proximity to so many different activities. This isn’t Boulder Colorado, but you can do pretty much everything here. Hiking, biking, surfing, snowboarding, road racing, dune buggying, gambling are all a short drive away. I remember driving 6 hours up to Killington back east (the 4,000 ft "mountains", haha), and on Saturday i drove an hour in 70 degree weather to snowboard at a resort at 10,000 ft. People actually surf and ski in the same day here. Now that’s livin! Im a motorcyclist, and my friends are into doing track days, and there are many racetracks near LA for that, but I am going off on a tangent….i could go on about the heaven on earth here in LA being a motorcyclist but thats another story. But yeah, the gambling, you can drive to Vegas from here! Yeah its a 5 hour drive and the traffic can get bad, but you can't drive to Vegas from NYC.
- And the weather, thats right i said it twice. I grill steak in my yard in a t-shirt in February. Sorry but this is a big deal to me. People will complain about the weather here, but these complainers probably didn’t come from places where the weather truly sucks all year round.

Now everything isn’t all great here either:
- everything is spread out. We know a lot of ex-New Yorkers here, and they all live in different parts of LA. And getting together for a drink or dinner is quite a task, and making plans takes a lot of effort. I would comare it to Living in Bay Ridge and having friends on the upper west side. How often would they come out to bay ridge to hang out with you? LA is so large the distances are great between different parts of the city.
- Very car oriented town, my wife and I had one car in NYC, and it was literally impossible for us to do that here. We had to get 2 cars.
- Traffic is bad, but only if you let it. You need to be smart about where to live and where you work. Once again, you wouldn’t move to the Upper West Side if your job was in Bay Ridge, especially since the LA public transit system is non-existent. The good thing is that the bad LA traffic is mostly during rush hour. After 7pm a lot of it settles down, and a weeknight at 9pm is pretty much a ghost town on the roads. NYC in my opinion was much worse, gridlock in NYC is 24/7. I used to sit in traffic jams on the BQE at 4am coming home from the city. That simply doesn’t exist here.
- The LA public transit system is non existent. I rode a bus to work for a few months while we were still a one car family. I wanted to murder somebody. Buses are slow, late, and break down. And the subway here only connects a few parts of the city.
- Nothing compares to the NYC nightlife. Because everything is so spread out, you have pockets of trendy and hip areas, so bar hopping and cabbing it to go out can be limited. And get used to last call at 1:30am, our NYC visitors here don’t like it one bit, when they just get goin and the lights come on, haha. But we like it, because you get go to bed earlier just to be up in the morning for that jog or surf session. Or maybe we like it because we’re married and can’t really hang anymore anyways.
- I cant comment on the single life in LA, because I was single only in NYC many years ago (back in the good ‘ol days before Guliani’s cabaret laws and all that crap)

I can imagine New Yorkers not liking it here for some of the reasons I stated. But its really what you make of it. Everyone has a different experience. If you like going downstairs for a pizza at 3am then stay in New York. If you wanna drive to a restaurant to sit and have dinner outside under a palm tree in January, then come here. And we moved here back in 2007 when the economy was still booming. However the job situation here has gotten pretty bad, so hopefully that is not a problem for you. We lived in Forest Hills Queens and Park Slope Brooklyn and now we live in Hollywood, and living here is a little bit cheaper. But its still too damn expensive, but this isn’t mid-west America, cost of living is pricey here! Its just as big and spread out than NYC, and it has its bad areas too, but the good areas far outweigh the ones in New York, in my opinion.

Sorry for the long response, and good luck!

Oh and i know many yankee fans out here, go Yanks!

Last edited by polican; 01-19-2011 at 02:11 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polican View Post
Oh and i know many yankee fans out here, go Yanks!
Funk the yanks

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles