U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,159 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are a french family who will soon relocate to the LA/OC area and we are now looking for advices on the best places to live in the region taking into account the commute.

We have two children (3 months and 3 years), are 30 years old, and we would ideally be looking for a walkable area close to amenities (shops, food markets, restaurants, bars, ...). We are mainly used to urban living and would, if possible, like to go on with that.

My job will be in Brea, OC, but we have to take into account that my wife will also be looking for a job in a near future. As her job deals with performing arts, we guess that she would have more opportunities close to downtown LA, Pasadena, Silverlake, maybe Long Beach (certainly others too but we do not know the region yet...)... For this reason, we are wondering if living close to these places, and having me doing the commute to Brea, would be doable? On my side, I guess that I would be able to deal with a commute time ranging from 30 min to 1h depending on traffic, but not more. Afterwards, I will certainly have the possibility to arrange my working hours to some extent in case this might be useful to gain some time...

Then, thinking again about the commute, I saw that from Union Station, a train is going to Fullerton in about 30 min, which is then only a short drive to Brea. Therefore, we were also wondering if there would be any nice places to live close to Union Station in LA for a family as us?

In case that might help you, the availability of nice preschools and child friendly places in these area would of course be important for us too.

I know there are a lot of questions but your advices would be extremely helpful... We are indeed very excited by the idea to relocate in Southern California but at the same time we are kind of lost as the distances overthere seem huge to us...

Many thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Rent or buy? Budget?

How serious is your wife's need to work in a major metro for performing arts? Would a medium size town art center or college or high school work? A dance studio in the suburbs? If not, then it becomes more challenging balancing commute, school quality, and affordability.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,159 times
Thanks for your quick reply, in a first instance, we will certainly look for a house or appartement to rent. Our budget will be around 2500 USD per month.

Then, concerning the large or medium sized city, we would like to increase the chance for my wife to find a job. Then, we are also used to cities with rather high density of people and we like it.

Afterwards, we are also attracted to smaller cities such as Belmont Shore which are rather close to Long Beach while also giving us a chance to test something else...

Old 01-15-2011, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,760 times
Hi Corkscrout,

I think you can't go wrong with living in the Los Angeles area. I have co-workers who have driven from the OC to downtown L.A. for work. The drive typically takes about an hour or so each way, so it's really not that bad once you get used to it.

Living in downtown L.A. will definitely give your wife a lot more opportunities to find the job she loves. Plus you'l be close to all the shopping and cultural stuff that you can do on your days off.

It's true that most of Southern California drives to L.A. for work , so you'd be better off to situate yourself there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or