U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 02:00 PM

4 posts, read 8,425 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I'm planning on moving to Valencia, CA (in the Santa Clarita valley) sometime around the first of March 2011.

I've been living in the San Fernando Valley for many years, and feel it's time for a significant change.

In choosing a new place to rent, here's what I'm looking for:

- Rent: Around $1200/month, plus or minus $100 or so.

- Building Type: For that rental budget, I know I won't be able to find a house, so I've resigned myself to moving back into a shared wall situation, i.e., apartment, condo, townhouse.

- Floorplan: I'm single, no pets, and work out of a home office. The ideal setup for me would be a 2bed/1bath, but these are rare, and usually not in my price range. Instead, I'm willing to go with a 1bed/1bath, ideally with a loft (or den) where I can set up my office. While not plentiful, these do exist. As a last resort, I could settle for a standard 1bed/1bath and set up my office in the dining area, if it's big enough.

- Quiet: Since I work out of that home office, I'm looking for someplace relatively quiet. I know you can never perfectly predict who your neighbors are going to be, but this is my single biggest concern about moving back into a shared wall situation, so any place that somehow minimizes noise would be attractive.

- Access to Paseos: I walk and/or bike nearly every day of the week, so I'd really like access to the paseo system. This is, in fact, one of the major draws of Valencia for me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for housing in Valencia that meets these criteria?

So far, I've looked at a few places near Stevenson Ranch, but have decided that I'd rather live on the other side of US5 where the paseos are located.

Around the paseos, I've only looked at one place so far: Stonecreek Apartments, in a fine location in the heart of Valencia. The good news is, they have a nice 1bed/1bath floorplan with a loft that would be perfect for my office. Rent = $1320. So far, so great. The problem is they will only reserve the apartment for 2 weeks (whereas everyone else seems willing to hold their units for much longer, 30+ days, as long as you put down the security deposit). This puts me in something of a Catch-22 situation because I have to give my current landlord (who I've been renting from for a long time) 30 days notice. Stonecreek has suggested I just pay the extra half month to reserve their unit, but this seems like an expensive ($660) solution, i.e., paying for a place I won't be living in yet.

Anyway, I'm excited about the move, and hoping to drive around and start a more thorough rental search next week.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Valencia Bound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 12:34 PM

5,902 posts, read 6,351,297 times
I would talk to them again. If you rented from your previous landlord a long time and have a good track record, than let them know you plan on living there long term, that you always pay your rent on time. This may help. Many places are willing to work with a potential good tenant. It certainly worth a try. If that does not work than keep looking and have several choices and put the 30 days in and see if the apt is still available after two weeks.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,512 times
I lived at the Madison off of Magic Mountain and McBean for a year and loved it. It might be a little more than you wanted to pay but the units have really good soundproofing, I never heard anybody. They also have some nice accommodations it's perfect for somebody who's single.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:44 AM

@VLWH: We think alike! I had already decided to return to Stonecreek and plead my case, because I do think I'm a pretty good tenant. I'd even be willing to pay the security deposit and full first month's rent to reserve the place. They seemed pretty intransigent, but we'll see what happens. Further, I've also contemplated doing what you suggested - lining up a couple backups, giving 30 days notice, and hoping the apartment is still available after two weeks. It's good to know someone else was having the same thoughts. Thanks for your reply.

@LocalNative: I just visited the Madison yesterday. Unfortunately, they have no 1bed/1bath floorplans with a loft or den. I must say, however, the leasing agent was still quite helpful, suggesting other properties that might suit my needs. The Madison looked nice, but after checking out the immediate area, I've decided that living in the urban/shopping heart of Valencia, i.e., around Town Center and the Spectrum gym, is not for me. I need a little less happening around me.

I'm back in my car today.

The search continues!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:35 PM

105 posts, read 245,214 times
I lived in the Stone Creek apartments for a year or two. They are pretty nice. It was quiet and still has close access to town.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM

@Jebby:

I appreciate the comment, particularly about the quiet...

...but now you're breaking my heart!

I went back to Stonecreek today to plead my case. I told them I've been renting in L.A. for 25 years, my current place for 12, and have never missed nor been late on a payment. I told them I was quiet and considerate (which is true). I told them I'd be willing to pay the security deposit, partial rent for February, and first full month's rent for March. I told them I would give them an extra month on my 12-month lease to cover their potential 2-week "loss". I told them I was willing to commit/apply/pay on the spot and start the 30-day clock ticking right away.

Nope.

They wouldn't budge.

They'll only hold the apartment for 2 weeks. Since I have to give my current landlord 30 days notice, this leaves me paying for a half month at two locations. Which in this case would cost me about $660. To reserve a place I'm not living in yet.

AGGGHHHHH!

Look, I understand their viewpoint: Maybe they can rent it out more quickly, and pick up that extra two weeks rent.

Am I being unreasonable?

Old 03-01-2011, 12:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,395 times
I live in McBean Pkwy - Skycrest Buildings - I love Valencia. It is safe, clean and it has a good public transport system if you don't want to use your car and there are markets every where!
You can find an apartment here in Skycrest with the price that you mentioned for sure.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM

63 posts, read 172,507 times
I lived at Stonecreek for 3 years, and it was the best! I loved the pool, the grounds, the location...the paseoes are right there, and you can walk lots of places (the Habit, Ralphs etc are right across the street, the YMCA is across the pedestrian bridge on McBean, and the shopping center with Whole Foods, Kohl's, etc is just a couple of blocks away).

There was always someone in the office when I needed anything, and maintenance requests were always taken care of quickly. The apartments are in good shape, and the neighbors were nice. Aw, I miss Valencia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles