U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,860 times

Advertisements

I go to school for music and have a job with a newspaper, but both need me to go to concerts. It doesn't matter what type of music or if it's a backyard band to a big name band, it just doesn't matter, but times are ruff. So in that note, if anyone knows where there are free shows please let me know, or if you know web sites that can help me find out where free shows are at than that will be great too!. I already looked on craigslist and LA Weekly but found nothing.

Thank you and keep looking good LA.

Peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 11:35 PM

7,090 posts, read 18,349,071 times
santa monica pier every thursday during the summer

Old 01-16-2011, 12:02 AM

6,197 posts, read 14,961,136 times
Lots of free shows during the summer, at places like Universal City Walk.

As far as regular clubs, there are lots of clubs that will add you to their free guest list as long as you get there early (usually before 10:00 or 10:30).

Old 01-16-2011, 04:18 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,896,405 times
Check laweekly.com and ExperienceLA - Official Cultural Calendar of Events for LA County - What to Do. How to Get There. - Official Cultural Event Calendar of Los Angeles County. Both carry lots of concert listings for both free and not free concerts.

Old 01-16-2011, 12:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,834,389 times
LACMA is a good bet as well. Mostly jazz or chamber music tho. Latin series starts up in May, 2011.

Programs Music [LACMA: Los Angeles County Museum of Art]

I haven't been there in awhile, but this joint has bands (Little Tokyo):

Matsumoto's 2nd Street Jazz

Old 01-16-2011, 04:53 PM

2,868 posts, read 4,441,000 times
A good bet is Amoeba Records Hollywood's live in-store concerts. There are several free events posted here. You should look up art walks and gallery shows too. Sometimes there are sidewalk bands--just call ahead and find out. Starting in early summer you'll have lots of street fairs with great bands, although Sunset Junction charges now. I think when the L.A. Phil starts its summer season you can still go to free rehearsals during the day on Tuesdays and Thursdays or something like that.

With some research and planning you can probably fill a year's itinerary with free shows every weekend.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 AM

1,444 posts, read 2,132,449 times
Most free shows are during the summer. Santa Monica Pier, Pershing Square, City Walk, MacArthur Park, some park in Pasadena etc, some park in Woodland Hills. I enjoyed the free shows this summer more than the few I went to in the amphitheatres. (The Tubes, Blue Oyster Cult, Fishbone etc).

When racing season opens at Hollywood Park there will be shows included with $8 admission. I saw Devo and Joan Jett & The Blackhearts do full sets.

Otherwise your options are limited - Amoeba Music, Origami Vinyl, Vacation Vinyl. Amoeba can be fun, but they are short sets on a small stage in a brightly lit room where at least half the people in attendance are shopping and annoyed at the instrusion. Not really indicative of a band's true performance potential.

Another idea is to go

showlistLA - A list of events happening in Southern California.

and look for giveaways. I've won 3 times already.

The Echo in Echo Park has free admission on Mondays, one band residency per month in the headline slot. This is also the last month of Spaceland free Mondays, the club is becoming the Satellite under new management/bookers. Not sure if they will continue the policy but from what I can tell, it's always been a success - Mondays are traditionally slow club nights and they bring it a lot of people, presumably spending at the bar. I would recommend hitting an early Monday if possible as if you write a positive review it would have the best impact if it can bring people out to the other nights.

If there is any sort of decent circulation and you have some credits to your name, it's always possible to get put on the guest list. I was able to do that a few times in the early 1990's via my college paper and a free Bam Magazine/Rock City News knockoff that never got off the ground.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 AM

749 posts, read 1,539,427 times
Ask the tree people at the Greek Theatre about free concerts...

The Greek Theatre

Not sure if people still get away with this but when I was a kid people would climb up in the trees overlooking the Greek Theatre to catch a free show.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 AM

3,552 posts, read 5,358,249 times
You don't usually see the words "Free" and "LA" in the same sentence

Old 01-18-2011, 01:38 PM

982 posts, read 1,378,272 times
There are a couple places in Downtown LA, at the California Plaza heres the link:
Calendar | Grand Performances

You might want to contact them direct to ask about the Schedule (seems blank), but they always have lunctime concerts and early evening concerts too, variety of music/bands.

The other one is is Pershing Square (as someone above stated earlier), link:
Pershing Square // Downtown On Ice // Winter 2010-2011

You might also want to call them, as it appears they haven't updated to spring schedule yet...

Also depends on what city you are at, but almost most city parks in Southern California offer free concerts in the evening or weekends, maybe google it, heres another link, but I would call to confirm it its accurate:

FREE CONCERT CALENDAR for SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles