Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 10:25 PM

143 posts, read 385,966 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

We're getting ready to find a place in LA, focusing on the Westside (our jobs are in Santa Monica/Venice). Our criteria are kind of specific, but I don't think completely unreasonable. The non-negotiable points:

* 2 or 3 bedrooms
* Laundry IN UNIT
* Covered/secure parking for two cars

We'd like to keep the budget around $3500, but there is some flexibility if the place is really amazing. We're open to apartments, condo sublets, townhouses or houses, as long as they meet those criteria. We also, of course, want a relatively nice and quiet area. Closer to the water is better, but I realize that also makes it more expensive.

I have a Westside Rentals account, and I've also been looking at Padmapper and Craigslist. I have found some options, mostly apartment buildings in Marina del Rey. But I haven't found much in Santa Monica (except the ubiquitous "Living at Santa Monica" buildings which I'm trying to avoid), and I haven't seen many house listings at all (even with looser criteria). Do these kind of places exist in Santa Monica and I'm just looking in the wrong place? Are there other sites I should also be looking at? Are there other nice areas in the general vicinity I should look at? Or is it pretty much just MDR for the criteria I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 11:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
detached houses on the westside are very expensive, especially if they're close to the coast. as for apartments, the only area that has a high concentration of units with laundry inside the unit is in marina del rey. there aren't many in unit laundry apartments in the coastal neighborhoods of santa monica. you might check out the archstone main st apartments. i know those are nice, but they are expensive and you'll probably only get 2 bedroom that's not too big for $3500. marina del rey isn't too bad though and it's only a 20 minute commute to santa monica with traffic. if you live close to washington blvd you'll have easy access to a number of restaurants and bars, not to mention the beach bike path if you are into that sort of thing.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 PM

Thanks. I don't have anything against Marina Del Rey. I actually liked it a lot when we looked around there last time. I like that it seems relatively quiet, but not too far away from things. But I want to make sure I have covered my bases before making a decision.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Looks like you don't want to live further than Marina Del Rey,

But there are nice areas of Westchester where your budget can easily afford a house to rent.

A family member has a 3 bd/2ba house a couple blocks from the beach(albeit Dockweiler) that they rent at $3500/mo. Place even has an additional very small studio with bathroom that is attached to the garage. Place is modern and remodled kitchen and bathroom. I've seen cheaper just a few blocks away.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:24 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
the commute down lincoln from westchester is no fun. get a smaller place and stay closer to your office. fyi, i used to commute from MDR to SM daily for some time. if you find a place in MDR, I can give you some alternate commute paths to help avoid the worst of the traffic.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 AM

362 posts, read 817,876 times
Culver City may be an option. Depends if you are set on a Santa Monica or Venice address though...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 PM

I'm not set on any specific address. I have liked what I've seen of Culver City, but I haven't seen any nice places that really meet my criteria. I haven't looked there for a while, though. I will check again.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:26 PM

109 posts, read 204,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
Hi all.

We're getting ready to find a place in LA, focusing on the Westside (our jobs are in Santa Monica/Venice). Our criteria are kind of specific, but I don't think completely unreasonable. The non-negotiable points:

* 2 or 3 bedrooms
* Laundry IN UNIT
* Covered/secure parking for two cars

We'd like to keep the budget around $3500, but there is some flexibility if the place is really amazing. We're open to apartments, condo sublets, townhouses or houses, as long as they meet those criteria. We also, of course, want a relatively nice and quiet area. Closer to the water is better, but I realize that also makes it more expensive.

I have a Westside Rentals account, and I've also been looking at Padmapper and Craigslist. I have found some options, mostly apartment buildings in Marina del Rey. But I haven't found much in Santa Monica (except the ubiquitous "Living at Santa Monica" buildings which I'm trying to avoid), and I haven't seen many house listings at all (even with looser criteria). Do these kind of places exist in Santa Monica and I'm just looking in the wrong place? Are there other sites I should also be looking at? Are there other nice areas in the general vicinity I should look at? Or is it pretty much just MDR for the criteria I have?
You might want to think about Mar Vista. Cheaper than any of the other places mentioned so far albeit with similar locality. Rents are still inflated on the west side though.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:21 PM

89 posts, read 215,083 times
Another vote for Mar Vista or Culver City. When I was looking for a place a couple of years ago, I saw several nice 2-bedroom apartments and townhouses in the $1800-$2100 range in both areas. (Prices may be slightly higher now, of course.) Maybe one in 10 had in-unit laundry hook-ups.

Depending on where in Santa Monica/Venice your jobs are, West L.A. might be an option - think Wilshire south to Olympic, west of the 405 (roughly the 90025 zip code). If your workplace is within a few blocks of Santa Monica Blvd, your commute should be pretty quick. The area itself is kind of nondescript, but there are some good deals to be found in older, smaller apartment buildings and complexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles