U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM

252 posts, read 330,097 times

Advertisements

Wow, I just found this forum last night in doing L.A. Real estate research. Amazing, educational stuff here.

With all the posts here discouraging young hopefuls from pursuing their dreams of working in entertainment and moving to L.A. At a young age, I wanted to share my story to show the flip side of the coin.

I was born and raised in the suburbs of NYC. I dint remember a time in my childhood that I didn't dream of living in L.A. I was discouraged my entire youth, and of course not taken seriously by my parents. But I had a dream and there was nothing getting in my way.

Looking back I'm really glad that I was too young and stupid to occur to be scared. And kind of glad the Internet had really just gotten started, so there was nothing to scare me off.

I went to college as a tv production major at small school in upstate NY. I knew that I wanted to work in tv, and live in Los Angeles. That was all. After graduation I over back with my parents for 2 years to save money, I moved out here 24 years old, about $6,000 in savings and a drivers license. Started out at a studio apartment in Burbank, no job or leads.

I worked really hard, spent the first 10 years of my life out here **** poor. I really didn't care though. I knew this city was my home.

I've worked in and out of the entertainment industry over the years. I started out doing entertainment pr in the 90's, got burnt out on the industry and moved into the dot com works - which is ultimately what got me back into the business, where I am now in a middle management position working in online at a major studio.

My point being, its not all doom and gloom to just pick up at a young age and start from scratch. Now, I never would have come out here without a college degree and employable skills. I started off temping and in my younger years did that on and off in between jobs.

I killed my credit during the broke years,and sometimes I barely had money for gas, food and rent. But. I always lived on my own, in safe neighborhoods. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. And I have no regrets.

L.A. Is my home, I was meant to live here in a way I cannot describe. The idea of not following my dream was never an option on the table for me.

I just wanted to share my story, as an alternative to all the advise I am seeing to young hopefulls of not even trying. Some of the just out of school kids asking these questions remind me a lot of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 03:24 PM

132 posts, read 306,882 times
Great post! The way most people respond on this board to anyone who wants to move here, you'd swear there were snipers patrolling the streets, hunting down all the newcomers. I think most of the people warning of the dire threats of life in L.A. have probably never experienced much of life off the conventional, safe-o-centric path. Of course it can be done! The other thing the doom-and-gloomers don't realize, is that independent young people changing cities struggle a bit regardless of where they are. Might as well struggle where you want to be, and if it doesn't work out, guess what? Life isn't actually ruined. The experience is still worth it.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:44 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
That's a great story and something any hopeful should keep in mind, but I would venture to guess that most people have the drive and guts to pull off what you did. having said that though, one of the things that makes LA great is that much of the population are those who came here from different parts of the world and make it for themselves in a very challenging environment.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:58 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,346,597 times
My impression of the posts mentioned is one of caution. This is just a bad time to be moving here if you have no money or resources. Work opportunities are low right now, everyone is downsizing. You have people with doctorates applying for the same positions that layman are. Just a bad economy here right now.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 PM

4,033 posts, read 8,304,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
I've worked in and out of the entertainment industry over the years. I started out doing entertainment pr in the 90's, got burnt out on the industry and moved into the dot com works - which is ultimately what got me back into the business, where I am now in a middle management position working in online at a major studio.

My point being, its not all doom and gloom to just pick up at a young age and start from scratch. Now, I never would have come out here without a college degree and employable skills. I started off temping and in my younger years did that on and off in between jobs.

I killed my credit during the broke years,and sometimes I barely had money for gas, food and rent. But. I always lived on my own, in safe neighborhoods. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. And I have no regrets.
Awesome sport. I did the same thing except I didn't have to live hard at all. And for ten years. Instead I got to travel and explore hobbies and entertainment. Damn, you prolly coulda done that too, except you didn't want to build yourself up first. College degree just to scrape by. Outstanding. And lemmme just mention first that most of the people posting about comming out here to work in the entertainment industry have no discernable employable skills whatsoever, let alone a degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginburbank View Post
L.A. Is my home, I was meant to live here in a way I cannot describe. The idea of not following my dream was never an option on the table for me.
Living your life by qualities that cannot be quantified. Great.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:43 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,151,371 times
I have paid to get sexually serviced by college grads out here pursuing their dreams. Not sure if they considered that possibility first or not when moving out, I never really asked.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM

252 posts, read 330,097 times
I completely agree with the idea of caution, having a good head on your shoulders, an understanding of what it means to be employable. And having a realistic fallback plan. But at the same time, I completely relate to the hopefuls. I was completely that person - I took the time to devise a plan and didn't move out here till two years out of college. If I listened to anyone who mocked my dream though, I wouldn't be out here right now. And I can't imagine what such a life would be.

And to the poster in this very thread who mocked me - you would have been in good company 15 years ago.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM

134 posts, read 417,588 times
Great story LIB. I can understand exactly how you feel. I was in LA for 8 years. The 1st 5 were great. The last 3 not so great. I left in 09 and I've been regretting it ever since. If LA is home for you you gotta fight to make it sometimes. That means there will be good years and lean years so try to plan accordingly. God, how I wish I had had the mind set to realize that fact. If you go out to follow your dream be prepared to make a lot of sacrifices towards your end.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 PM

29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
Follow your dreams! But dreams change and living in LA might not be part of them in the end. Even if your only there for awhile it's good to try new things.

My daughter moved to LA after college and got a job in a branch of "the industry" but already told me she doesn't want to be there for more than 5 years, for the work experience, and can't imagine living there forever. She likes The Bay and NorCal better and would like to spend some time in NY too.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:13 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,470,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I have paid to get sexually serviced by college grads out here pursuing their dreams. Not sure if they considered that possibility first or not when moving out, I never really asked.
Not far off from what I've heard from broke transplants in L.A. Often this, in conjunction with getting deeply involved in the drug biz to get by.

Thankfully for the OP, not so (hopefully)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles