U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 AM

5 posts, read 6,952 times

Advertisements

I would love to look into South Pas (getting married soon and will raise a family down the line) however budget is tight. How is Pasadena like?

Is this your neighborhood? What do you like about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 03:38 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,059,575 times
Since you are new, I looked at your other posts.

Pasadena is great, but I think it's going to be way outside of your price range. If you had like $1 million to spend, you would get all sorts of information, but with only $200K to spend, I doubt you can afford to buy anything.

I would suggest renting and saving up to buy your dream home. And if you do that -- then almost anything in South Pasadena is great.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:33 AM

5 posts, read 6,952 times
Thanks for the reply!

How about Pasadena (not South Pas)? I've seen some homes on Redfin for around 250k.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM

749 posts, read 1,001,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalrider View Post
Thanks for the reply!

How about Pasadena (not South Pas)? I've seen some homes on Redfin for around 250k.
250k is VERY LOW for Pasadena. Most likely extensive rehab would be necessary. But call the realtor to make sure. I lived in Pasadena a long time ago (over 10 yrs ago). Most of Pasadena is quite safe. The northwest area of Pasadena DOES have some crime/gang issues but not nearly as serious as compared to other more notorious areas (e.g., Watts, Compton, Soth/Central LA, etc).

Some people will tell you to steer clear of anything "north" of the "Foothill" or "210 Freeway" (which is more affordable than other parts of Pasadena). Most of the cheaper houses in Pasadena will be north of the 210 Fwy. Mind you, the public schools in Pasadena are NOT as good as in So. Pasadena (which has VERY good public schools).

I don't have kids (so you can take my comments in context) but I would have NO problem living (and owning) in areas north of the 210 Freeway in Pasadena such as: Bunglaow Heaven, Washington Square, Pill Hill, etc. All three are examples of nice pockets of relatively "small" but beautiful historic homes.

There are plenty of families in those hoods but to be frank your biggest obstacle will be your budget.

Again, I am no real estate expert on Pasadena. You should call a few realtors active in the area and ask key questions like price, schools, safety, etc. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 AM

32 posts, read 54,031 times
I live in Pasadena and have for over 10 years. It's a wonderful place to live. However, $250K will not get you anything worth having in the area. The houses you saw listed are probably in the areas of Pasadena that have a very high amount of crime (we do have gangs here). Although it may not be Watts or Compton level, as someone said, it's dangerous enough that I would never live there - especially if I was going to start a family. Even living where I do we are seeing an increase in burglaries and vehicle crime and I am in an area considered to be very safe (and south of the freeway). So I would be very cautious with what you see on the internet and I would contact a reputable real estate agent for an honest appraisal of your budget and what you can afford.

As for schools, So. Pas has good public schools. PUSD does not. There are tons of private school options in the San Gabriel valley, though.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:43 AM

10,149 posts, read 14,920,350 times
I think the "north of 210" rule of thumb is primarily referring to those neighborhoods in NW Pasadena, not places like Bungalow Heaven. That said, there are still some decent areas in NW Pasadena, although admittedly with that small of a budget you're going to be running into problems. If it were me, I'd probably just rent, as you will generally get more for your money. I would not be afraid of PUSD, but would take the time to investigate specific schools. If you're willing to take on a fixer-upper and take a risk on a more troubled neighborhood you could get a nice deal, but definitely do your research first.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:42 PM

920 posts, read 746,208 times
I would definitly stay clear from N. Marengo Blvd, have former acquaintances there and did not like being out there after dark. Have to agree w/others, the more higher the prices, the better the neighborhood.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,461 times
I, too am looking to by in Pasadena, but it seems the only afforadable areas are north of the 210. Some neighborhoods seem fine, while others seem sketchy. I also notice a lot of blocks with completely updated homes right next door to older homes in more disrepair. It seems like a lot of neighborhoods are turning, but I want to make sure I am in a safe area. A lot of people say stay away from the area west of lake and north of 210, but there seem to be some ok pockets. Any advice is welcome.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:37 AM

56,101 posts, read 12,032,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalrider View Post
I would love to look into South Pas (getting married soon and will raise a family down the line) however budget is tight. How is Pasadena like?

Is this your neighborhood? What do you like about it?
Before you start looking,get a lender to see what you can afford. South Pas is a great area,but not your range. You can get some foreclosure props in Pasadena,Altadena,do you know how to fix a house? and do you have extra money to fix it up?

Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 PM

600 posts, read 827,921 times
Our opinion on living here in Pasadena is that the farther NW (from Lake/Orange Grove) you go the worse it is. We live in Bungalow Heaven which we were told was a pretty good neighborhood but since we have moved in it seems like we are right on the border of nice area and seedy area. And houses in our neighborhood sell for $700/$800k (they rent anywhere from $2500-$3000 for a 3br/2ba). I wouldnt consider it especially safe either. We had a shooting the week after Christmas right up the street and now have daily reports of homes either being burglarized or attempts at break ins. Walking East up Mountain towards Victory Park and the high school seems to be nice and obviously South Pas. is nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles