U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 PM
 
1,465 posts, read 4,412,965 times
Reputation: 849

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledabout View Post
Westside
Nice area. (I suppose I could have just looked at your "Location:" to see that, oops)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 AM
 
5 posts, read 6,863 times
Reputation: 10
Did you end up staying in an apartment ? Can you recommend a community based on your research. We are moving to LA with a 3yr old kid and we are frankly overwhelmed. We look for a safe and peaceful 2bdr apartment somewhere in the Valley. If you could recommend something, that would be great.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: South LA
107 posts, read 162,600 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnewtoLA View Post
Did you end up staying in an apartment ? Can you recommend a community based on your research. We are moving to LA with a 3yr old kid and we are frankly overwhelmed. We look for a safe and peaceful 2bdr apartment somewhere in the Valley. If you could recommend something, that would be great.

Thanks.
No, thankfully we found a house on WSR almost immediately after it was posted--3BR, 2BA, laundry in house, ample storage, and a yard. I know next to nothing about the valley--haven't even been there yet--but I can tell you that there are decent places out there, you just have to look and be patient. We didn't find our house until 2-3 weeks before we moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 11:22 AM
 
362 posts, read 680,668 times
Reputation: 160
Of course you are loving it... It's the honeymoon period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: California
29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Reputation: 24725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
Of course you are loving it... It's the honeymoon period
That is what everyone there says.
My daughter loved it the first 2 months then became more "ehh" about it as the daily grind set in. There are some cool things there, but everyday stuff, like running to the store or going out to eat or taking her cat to the vet, isn't as convenient for her. And the polution in the air really reeks havoc on her skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: West LA
2,318 posts, read 6,840,201 times
Reputation: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That is what everyone there says.
My daughter loved it the first 2 months then became more "ehh" about it as the daily grind set in. There are some cool things there, but everyday stuff, like running to the store or going out to eat or taking her cat to the vet, isn't as convenient for her. And the polution in the air really reeks havoc on her skin.
I was the opposite. I was overwhelmed when I first got here and have come to enjoy the city more and more as it becomes "home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 PM
 
Location: SoCal
2,262 posts, read 6,270,142 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That is what everyone there says.
My daughter loved it the first 2 months then became more "ehh" about it as the daily grind set in. There are some cool things there, but everyday stuff, like running to the store or going out to eat or taking her cat to the vet, isn't as convenient for her. And the polution in the air really reeks havoc on her skin.
Personally, I find doing "every day stuff" here SO MUCH BETTER! I don't have to put on a coat, scarf, gloves, and a hat to go out. I don't have to shovel out my car. I don't have to freeze my butt off every time I leave the house. I don't have to look at grey (or worse... YELLOW) snow. I don't have to worry about falling (I have several friends in Boston who have fallen pretty badly already this winter). I don't have to deal with rude east-coast attitudes. And I can choose a variety of ways to get to where I'm going.

To me, it's the "every day stuff" that makes living here such a pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Reputation: 17410
I walk out of my building around 11 or 1130 to go outdoor swimming at lunch or play outdoor basketball in January or February and it's 70F and the grass is green and I just say "Beautiful".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:45 AM
 
362 posts, read 680,668 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Personally, I find doing "every day stuff" here SO MUCH BETTER! I don't have to put on a coat, scarf, gloves, and a hat to go out. I don't have to shovel out my car. I don't have to freeze my butt off every time I leave the house. I don't have to look at grey (or worse... YELLOW) snow. I don't have to worry about falling (I have several friends in Boston who have fallen pretty badly already this winter). I don't have to deal with rude east-coast attitudes. And I can choose a variety of ways to get to where I'm going.

To me, it's the "every day stuff" that makes living here such a pleasure.
You must be walking distance to everything... ;p
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 AM
 
Location: SoCal
2,262 posts, read 6,270,142 times
Reputation: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
You must be walking distance to everything... ;p
Nope. NOTHING is walking distance to everything in LA, heh.

In Boston, there is often only one way to get somewhere. For example, to get to the mall from my house, I had to take one street, and one street only. A street with a single lane. If there was traffic or an accident, you're basically screwed. You can't even take a side street to turn around because side streets just go off into the ether. And no street is straight. Everyone I know in Boston gets horribly lost all the time. People who have lived there all their lives. They think this is normal. You never know where north/south/east/west is. I always just assumed I had a terrible sense of direction until I moved here.

Many of the streets are one-ways. Many 2-way streets literally have only one lane. So, if there's a car coming towards you, you (or they) need to find a way around each other.

In LA, there is usually more than one way to get somewhere. 3rd is blocked? Try Beverly! Most everything is on a grid. Also, most streets have more than one lane. You don't HAVE to take the freeway to get somewhere. You can try side streets. This doesn't happen in Boston.

Driving in LA is so much easier. Doing everything is so much easier here, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top