U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:23 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That comes from the very real phenomenon of people seeing how much more they get for their money in other places and logically can't justify moving back and paying so much more. .
But CA housing prices go up and they also go down. When they go down, move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 AM

428 posts, read 942,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Personally, I find doing "every day stuff" here SO MUCH BETTER! I don't have to put on a coat, scarf, gloves, and a hat to go out. I don't have to shovel out my car. I don't have to freeze my butt off every time I leave the house. I don't have to look at grey (or worse... YELLOW) snow. I don't have to worry about falling (I have several friends in Boston who have fallen pretty badly already this winter). I don't have to deal with rude east-coast attitudes. And I can choose a variety of ways to get to where I'm going.

To me, it's the "every day stuff" that makes living here such a pleasure.
As having visited LA twice and also love the city, I don't agree with your opinion on rude attitudes. There are PLENTY of those in LA. I live in Minneapolis and yet have to come across that really cold, snarky attitude here that I have been given by some of the people I have come across in LA. It is a rudeness that is pretty cold-blooded. Perhaps those are the people who have big-dreams but are getting squashed by LA?

But then again, LA is full of people with wonderful attitudes too.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 AM

428 posts, read 942,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
That's good that you actually SEE the positive unlike many SoCal residents who seem to take the weather for granted. Here in northern Indiana we have not seen the sun in 11 days. All the trees are brown and dead. The snow is polluted and dark and slushy. The sky is a white/grey and the cars look disgusting.
Wishing I was back in CA right now (awaiting my job transfer)
Yeah JC, the weather in MN this year is terrible too. Colder than ****!!! I think it is about -20 right now, before the wind chill!!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 PM

2,497 posts, read 6,235,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I've been here for 5 decades and I'm still in the honeymoon period.
Love it!!!!!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Love it!!!!!
It's 81F and sunny in Whittier.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
seriously? why is north indiana like that?
Not sure, but look at this link, and don't let it fool you. The picture of the sun behind the clouds is misleading; there is no sun. Also 22 degrees with heavy wind makes it much colder. Oh yeah I fell down today and busted my lip too But as many say about crappy s*it hole states and bad weather "It's not that bad."

Sevendayforecast - wsbt.com

Old 01-21-2011, 02:19 PM

You have Bull S*it in every state in every corner of the country/world. Why not deal with that bull s*it in dry warm sunny conditions? I hold my tongue alot on here but you who sit in those pleasant conditions whining about this and that really make me ill. I'll trade ya places. Bet you could not deal for a week.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM

8 posts, read 33,589 times
I have lived in LA for 2 years now and still love it. I love the weather, the different cultures, the variety of restaurants, the museums, and all the events that are always happening. Though many on this board seem to not like LA very much, I do like the people that I have met. They are friendly and have a certain "cosmopolitan" vibe. I love that I'm able to go to comedy clubs or go see a new band at a small venue on any given night. I love how LA is divided into neighborhoods, each with their own special characteristics. I love that I don't have to wear 6 layers and gear up before I head outside. I love that the humidity here is perfect (having lived in places with 90% humidity or more, which is truly unbearable).

Of course, there are always minuses. The traffic is bad sometimes. Fortunately we have short commutes to work (which I think of as the secret to happiness in LA). I hear that pollution is bad, but living on the Westside, I don't really experience that. I know the public school system is atrocious, but we don't have any kids and don't plan on having any. I guess LA was just the perfect fit for us, so glad we moved here!

To the OP, welcome to LA!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 PM

107 posts, read 162,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
And she can afford to rent a 3 bedroom house in a desirable area of LA...what's not to love?? I bet she wouldn't be so happy if her budget only allowed her a 1 bedroom apt. in Van Nuys or North Hollywood (like many of us in LA)! I'd be happy if I could roll into town and get into that kind of set up right away, too.
You are probably right, but that's why we didn't move here before putting in time at my husband's previous job in what you guys affectionately refer to as "flyover country". If we didn't have the means to move here and live relatively comfortably with our children, we wouldn't have moved here. Thanks for the unnecessary negativity.

To everyone else: thanks for the welcome!

Old 01-21-2011, 08:56 PM

40 posts, read 42,893 times
Flyover country has Chicago! Chicago is a good city. One of the best. Other than that, coast to coast is what matters for politics, culture, and fashion. It sucks to hear, but it is largely accurate.

Though industry wise, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Cleveland are still important manufacturing centers. And Houston is growing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles