U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,723,006 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever been there? if you live in los angeles or anywhere near there, you really need to check this out. really interested in other people's stories regarding this as I am sure i am not the only one who has gotten the heebie jeebies from this place. I just went there a couple times very recently and i got spooked both times.

first off i want to say that i make it a practice to explore as many ghost towns, abandoned places and haunted/infamous sites as i can, and luckily, in this town, there are loads. i have hiked into spahn ranch three separate times. i belong to a paranormal group that hosts tours of linda vista hospital, which i have been in several times. not to mention all the creepy places i have visited out in the desert, up around bakersfield, carmel, etc. i tell you this because i think it is significant that in NONE Of those places have i gotten the creeps. none of em. well- maybe spahn ranch the first two times, but i was alone and then took a couple friends with me when we made it all the way in. and all of those places never really made me feel anything, which was disappointing. not even linda vista, and that place has been on several paranormal programs and is internationally known as being a "hot spot". i mean, i have seen things out of the corner of my eye, but i didn't get "the Fear". i mean, i am a female, and i think nothing of pulling over to the side of the road and exploring some weird old gas station out in the middle of the mojave. i carry weapons and a bad attitude and i don't let my inner paranoia machine freak me out. if i do i know that i won't be able to ferret out the real dangers from the imagined dangers.

just trying to give you some background so you won't think of me as being hysterical, or someone who lets her mind plays tricks on her. i'm pretty tough in that way and i actually LIKE being scared. it happens so rarely that when it does i am thrilled.

well, the abandoned zoo really sort of shook me up. i wasn't expecting it, and that's why i am writing this here. i KNOW this isn't in my mind. i wasn't going in there expecting to be creeped out. i just wanted to see it because it is a five minute drive from my present home. and i love me some abandonment.

anyway- being there, all i can say is that in all my years, there are only three places i have been that have made me want to turn tail and run. one is in georgia, in a stretch of very sinister woods behind a friend's house. the second is at a park called jones gap in south carolina on an old trail called hospital rock. the other is this zoo.

i mean= its a ZOO. one doesn't think of fearful happenings at a ZOO. granted, it is abandoned, having been abandoned since 1966. you can get there by going to the merry go round, going to the far parking lot on the other side of it and turning to your left. you see a grassy hill and a sign saying "this zoo used to be here" etc. if you walk up the hill, blammo, there are all these old enclosures. a long row of spooky black metal cages. etc.

i won't say exactly where i got this fear, because i would prefer to have other's share any stories first, but there is a spot where, for some reason, i got truly terrified. out of nowhere. my intuition was screaming at me- "get out of here". but i ain't got good sense. i kept walking. the fear kept increasing. i ignored it. kept taking photos. there is a great view of the verdugo mountains out in the distance. fear still there. it was as if it was palpable, from outside of me. it wasn't coming from my head. it was sort of swelling in my gut, if that makes sense. it was daytime and there were other people around, but i just felt like i had stumbled unbeknownst onto some horror movie set and something was about to happen. its been YEARS and many, many, many creepy places at much eerier times of the night since i have felt anything like that. but i forced myself to hang. chill for a minute. act like its all good. but coming back down i couldn't get out of there fast enough. i literally feared for my safety and i couldn't wait to get the hell out of that zoo.

i have been able to find a couple stories on other forums about people's experiences there so i know it is considered a haunted place. i didn't know any of this going in, i had found the place on atlas obscura and they didn't mention anything paranormal. griffith park as a whole is LOADED with ghost stories, its definitely a fascinating part of LA lore and i really hope this thread gets some traffic and we get to hear some spooky stories!

Old 01-21-2011, 05:28 PM

927 posts, read 2,096,748 times
Wait - how do you get to this zoo? I go biking over there all the time and would love to check it out!

Is it Los Feliz BLVD. & Vermount enterance?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
Old L.A. Zoo, Griffith Park Drive, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 PM

5,113 posts, read 4,762,828 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKosbe_LiL4

Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,504,194 times
This place sounds interesting I should go check it out. I had no idea that this zoo existed so thanks OP for bringing it up.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:20 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,073,055 times
You know alot of people died there back in the 1930's, right?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 PM

Human remains found in Griffith Park
A human skull was found yesterday afternoon in Griffith Park near the Zoo veterinary building. It was reported just before 6pm. Authorities sealed off the area and LAPD stayed on scene all night. A full investigation is now underway.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,723,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Human remains found in Griffith Park
A human skull was found yesterday afternoon in Griffith Park near the Zoo veterinary building. It was reported just before 6pm. Authorities sealed off the area and LAPD stayed on scene all night. A full investigation is now underway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
You know alot of people died there back in the 1930's, right?
whuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh????? ????????

no! tell me now. who died there in the 1930's?

from what i have read they pull dozens of bodies out of there every year. just a little weird that it is near the zoo....the new one, i presume.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

from what i have read they pull dozens of bodies out of there every year. just a little weird that it is near the zoo....the new one, i presume.
That's true, they find bodies or remains all the time in Griffith Park

Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

They don't know how many died but just that it was alot of people. More than 30 for sure. They were trapped in a fire. Very sad and very tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles