U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,365,171 times

Advertisements

i'd put philly, most of jersey, queens, brooklyn, and boston easily ruder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,379,176 times
Philly, Boston and New York are in the top 10 on that list

Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM

396 posts, read 769,618 times
LA wasn't rude at all. Even in traffic, people looked kinda laid back.

To each their own.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,723,723 times
hell no, los angeles is unusually friendly, especially considering that it is a megalopolis. that person probably spent one night in hollywood and judged the whole city on the basis of that, not unlike many tourists who come here and whine about the city based on their visit to santa monica that one time last year. (sm sucks by the way, in my opinion. if it had been santa monica i would have agreed.)

the south, particularly atlanta, can be amazingly rude. southern hospitality? maybe in virginia.

the rudest place i have ever been, bar none, was amarillo. the nicest people, besides los angeles- greenville south carolina.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM

2,490 posts, read 3,815,577 times
You know, I am so glad to see this thread. I am from NYC and hoping to move to LA in the next few years. I normally don't believe these kind of silly surveys, but I was shocked to see LA as the "rudest city" and the first thing I thought what a bunch of BS!

NYC people can be unbelievably rude, and it's gets very old after a while. There is no way that LA people are ruder than people here.

I can't wait to move out of this place.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,900,385 times
Maybe my opinion would change if I lived in Metropolitan Los Angeles, since I have afterall only visited. But...

Of the "big three" (NYC, LA, Chi-town), L.A. has without a doubt the friendliest and even most polite people. Sure, it's not the set of the Andy Griffith Show or Little House on the Prairie, but what do you expect? Not that NYC or Chicago folks are unapproachable, either, but it's just that in everything from visiting L.A. to sitting next to people on plane flights to working in customer service, I have consistently had great experiences with meeting Southern Californians. Now, to be sure, they have identified themselves as either natives or foreign transplants.

Also, I hear more horn-honking in the part of Kentucky I live in in one day than I ever have in SoCal; I've probably put 400-600 miles on the rental car each time I go to SoCal, so it's not like I just stay confined to one area. Now, in a metropolis of 20 million or more people, road rage will happen. But I'm not sure it's nearly as common an occurrence as some folks here on C-D make it out to be.

Maybe the "rude L.A." comes from people from throughout the rest of the nation that are seeking to "make it big." And I noticed this rude, self-absorbed, sour vibe in more entertainment industry-influenced cities such as West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and even Burbank. However, if one goes to, say, Pasadena, Glendale, Venice, Santa Monica, Ventura County, Balboa Island, the South Bay/Long Beach, etc., they might come away with a more positive impression of Southern California.

Of course, I will admit that it is hard to beat the State of Texas generally in friendly and hospitable people. Just a great place, in my opinion.

I've lived in Louisville, KY in the past; now that's a rude city.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,895,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
You know, I am so glad to see this thread. I am from NYC and hoping to move to LA in the next few years. I normally don't believe these kind of silly surveys, but I was shocked to see LA as the "rudest city" and the first thing I thought what a bunch of BS!

NYC people can be unbelievably rude, and it's gets very old after a while. There is no way that LA people are ruder than people here.

I can't wait to move out of this place.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,935,776 times
Maybe they meant rude in a good way like 'bad' is good.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,841,383 times
LA appears to have a massive image problem when it comes to how the rest of the country perceives us.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,552,586 times
Only when they are driving. Other than that, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or