Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 PM

129 posts, read 316,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Haha! Hey! English is NOT my first lenguage... its spanish, I'm going to London for 9 months to improve it... And actually I think I have a very good english compared to other spanish people. I Just like American literature and read a lot of it.

PD: I would like to enter to UCLA, however its fine if I do in another university, I just want to know about the city.
As a professional writer, I often attack people's grammar and writing skills but your passion for literature really shines through so I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm a writer who lives in LA but I do mostly freelance work, which I can do from anywhere. If you can afford it, UCLA offers an awesome writing program which anyone can be a part of. You don't have to be accepted into the college to take the courses. You take the classes at your own pace and get a certificate at the end. I would LOVE to take part in the program but I just can't afford it. I am also part of the LA Writers Group and love it.

Welcome to the UCLA Extension Writers’ Program
LAwritersgroup.com - Join a Writers Group in Los Angeles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
London is not the best place to sharpen your English language skills, Farsi maybe but not English.
One tip when you write in English try to think in English not in your native language and then translate if you do you will get into a hell of a mess with your “a`s” and “the`s”.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I plan to have a job, yes, but I want, in a future, to write novels and stuff, just a drean

You do realize that computers will replace writers by the year 2019? The Japanese have nearly perfected a processor which should be on the market by the end of the next decade. Writers will become obsolete.

It's anticipated these eWriter computers will be able to generate a 350 page novel in less than four hours (with an expected 0.6% entering the New York Times Best Seller List), 3-5 short stories per hour, 16 sonnets per hour, and 22-25 poems per hour including haiku.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You do realize that computers will replace writers by the year 2019? The Japanese have nearly perfected a processor which should be on the market by the end of the next decade. Writers will become obsolete.

It's anticipated these eWriter computers will be able to generate a 350 page novel in less than four hours (with an expected 0.6% entering the New York Times Best Seller List), 3-5 short stories per hour, 16 sonnets per hour, and 22-25 poems per hour including haiku.
Call me old fashioned, but I will stick with my 1,000 monkeys at 1,000 typewriters.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 AM

448 posts, read 1,054,758 times
people out here with degrees are struggling and flipping burgers we have the highest or the second highest unemployment rate and with the ahole govener cutting eveything id'e think twice about moving to LA just don't want you to get out here and wind up in a postion you don't want to be in or didnt exspect to be a one bedroom where i am is 1200 a month and your car insureance will be through the roof also can you handle earth quakes and tremmors and 110 degree heat in the summer?? lots of people are moving out of ca

Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:

Those Japaneese chips again?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Those Japaneese chips again?
Yes, from the same companies that make chips that will render musicians and artists obsolete too.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 AM

129 posts, read 316,649 times
Quote:

Nothing will ever replace real, human writers writing about human emotions and experiences. Sorry Charles, but this may be the most ridiculous post I've ever seen on City-Data.

ETA: Ok, I see that you were kidding now. LOL

Old 01-22-2011, 02:03 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Yes, from the same companies that make chips that will render musicians and artists obsolete too.
Are you a Japanese chip? I think forum posters will be made obsolete as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:22 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
You shouldn't be so hard on kids that post here that trying to follow their dreams. Sure, it is good to caution a family moving to LA that times are tough, because, for a family, the stakes are very high. You need to provide for your family. But for a young single man or woman, there will always be some kind of work for somebody willing to do anything (In-N-Out), and young people can subsist on ramen.

When I was a younger man, I lived in London for a couple of years surviving on about $15k a year, and I had a great time. But I would never move my family there without a crapload of money, because I don't think my family would be as happy eating only pasta and all living on bunkbeds in a studio apartment. Career-wise, those years were a complete waste of time, but, I wouldn't trade those years for anything.

The worst case for the OP is that he moves to LA, or London, or wherever, and fails spectacularly. Even if he wastes 5 years of his life, there's still plenty of time to start over.

I'm not in the arts, but, it seems to me that becoming successful in the arts it a bit like winning the lottery. Your chance of failure is about 100%, but, somebody wins the lottery every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles