U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:37 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,072,290 times

Advertisements

Whaat? No never seen any gang members in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
This is the weirdest thread yet. What type of clueless people live in LA and can't recognize gang members?!? I see gang members nearly every day although nowhere close to as many as a decade ago.
Do you have some kind of detector that enables you to tell the difference between real gang members and wanna-bes who like the gangsta dressing style? Do real gang members carry some kind of gang ID card that they have to show you if you question their authenticity? (I am of course joking--and who would ask if there really were ID cards?)

I don't hang out in areas with high gang activity, don't hang out in places with lots of gang members loitering, and I'm generally home and in for the evening fairly early. I'm not out late for the night life. Do they come out after I'm safely tucked in front of my big screen TV? I dunno.

I do see graffiti in the less nice areas of the Valley. Is it gang graffiti or graffiti graffiti? I'd have to take a class on graffitology to tell the difference, but I'm not interested in the difference so no reason to bother.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:32 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,542,837 times
There is no one indicator to tell what a banger might look like.....just because a person might be wearing certain colors or whatever, does not necessarily mean they are in a gang. I am sure I have had interactions with gang members and probably didn't know it..I mean really...do gang members just out in the open scream to the top of their lungs...HEY..LOOK AT ME, I'M IN THIS GANG...

I seriously doubt it.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 PM

8,146 posts, read 25,626,177 times
I live in San Diego and have 'encountered' gang members on only a few occasions - but have seen them many times.

Not sure how so many people get through life without noticing them - they are easy to spot. Ask yourself how a thugged out 25 year old guy gets through life... and how he affords that car and all that jewelry. He's either got a great job, or he's a slanger. If he slangs, he bangs, at least in SoCal.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,269,378 times
I don't really notice the kind of car ANYone drives. And, I can't tell the difference between an expensive gold chain and a cheap one.

I've gone out at night in downtown LA and felt nervous walking by certain people (or groups of people), but honestly it's never occured to me whether or not they may or or may not be in a gang. I just don't really think of it at all.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM

2,544 posts, read 3,316,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Do you have some kind of detector that enables you to tell the difference between real gang members and wanna-bes who like the gangsta dressing style?
You should be able to tell the difference between gang fashion and normal teenage fashion. And be able to recognize the tattoos from some of the bigger gangs. And also know which gangs wear which colors. If you see people with gang tattoos or groups of people dressed like a gang, they aren't pretending to be in a gang, that's a gang.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
You should be able to tell the difference between gang fashion and normal teenage fashion. And be able to recognize the tattoos from some of the bigger gangs. And also know which gangs wear which colors. If you see people with gang tattoos or groups of people dressed like a gang, they aren't pretending to be in a gang, that's a gang.
How on EARTH is a "regular person" supposed to recognize a gang tattoo? Unless I'm pretty close to someone, I usually have no idea of what ANYone's tattoo is. Can you recognize someone's gang tattoo from across the street or something? Your eyesight must be amazing!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
How on EARTH is a "regular person" supposed to recognize a gang tattoo? Unless I'm pretty close to someone, I usually have no idea of what ANYone's tattoo is. Can you recognize someone's gang tattoo from across the street or something? Your eyesight must be amazing!
What across the street? Are you never on the same side of the street as anyone else? I have no idea what you're getting at regarding distance and eyesight, but I see gang members doing regular stuff all the time all over the LA area. East, south, north and even west.

I can understand if someone lives in West LA or the far west Valley and if they never leave that maybe they might not see gang members all the time. But for people to say that they have lived in LA for years and have never knowingly seen a gang banger is ridiculous. There are 10 times as many gang bangers as police. However many times anyone has seen a cop they've likely seen ten times as many gang bangers and never knew it.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM

I just meant that I can't tell what someone's tattoo is unless I'm right up close to someone. And if I see someone who's somewhat "rough" looking... I don't exactly stare at them or their tattoos. Are they a gang member? I have no idea.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Ok. I guess that we see the same thing, but don't see the same thing if that makes sense. I'm not especially street smart, but I do know the names of many of the gangs and recognize colors that they wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles