U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM

11 posts, read 14,947 times

Advertisements

I hadn’t realized how dense the valley is until my last business visit. It noticed 4 clusters of city centers (Glendale, Burbank/Universal City, Encino-Sherman Oaks along Ventura blvd, and Warner Center-Woodland Hills. If secession were to happen which one of these would most likely become the new valley city civic center/downtown? Why? What name would this new city adopt?

I’ve read of previous efforts in the not so distant past. I don’t understand why the Valley doesn’t secede from the city of Los Angeles and become its own city. I heard rumor that if that were to happen, it would make this new Valley city the fifth most populated city in the country after NYC, Chicago, remaining L.A. , and Houston (I think).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 10:46 AM

40 posts, read 43,028 times
I think they last tried in 2002. The Valley voted for it barely, but LA as a whole denied the move. It would also have broken up LA into LA proper, Harbor City, and Hollywood as separate cities. Plus, there's no guarantee the state legislature would have allowed it.

Glendale and Burbank are separate municipalities themselves.

The Valley south of the Freeway is very densely populated. I think Van Nuys and Pacoima are pretty dense as well.

Van Nuys has a major government center there, though its mostly County for the Court system.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:26 AM

2,318 posts, read 6,851,605 times
I would think they would put the municipal center in Van Nuys given the county buildings are already there and it is central within the valley.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:06 PM

448 posts, read 1,342,653 times
Even if the Valley wanted to secede from Los Angeles, the basin's numbers would out number the Valley and prevent it from happening. Sad but true.

Van Nuys would most likely be the "city center" because it geographically is the center of the valley. If you ever drive to Van Nuys, they have banners labeling themselves as "The Heart of the Valley."

Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,912 posts, read 14,154,468 times
This will not happen. The San Fernando Valley is a cash cow for the city of Los Angeles. Any vote (necessary to secede) will fail because LA voters understand that we in SFV would do better without them and they would do more poorly without us.

The only way this would ever work is if we in SFV could determine our own fate. The leeches in the rest of LA will never permit it. SFV subsidizes LA in general. LA cannot live without milking SFV for our tax money.

Yes, if we seceded our new city center would be right there at Sylvan St. and Van Nuys Blvd. I'd bet my life on the location, and I'd bet my first born that LA would never let SFV secede.

You'll see separate states of NoCal and SoCal before that. Wow, think of the advertising hype if "NoCal" sold advertising to zero calorie soft drinks! Only downer, the USPS state names of NC and SC are already taken. How about CN and CS? (Connecticut is CT, no collision there.)

Old 01-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Even if it passed LA, the state legislature would never vote to enact it. My understanding is that the state must approve the addition of new municipalities.

Is the SFV a property tax cash cow?

Sales taxes I would think LA proper has it beat.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 PM

749 posts, read 1,547,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2bela View Post

Even if it passed LA, the state legislature would never vote to enact it.

My understanding is that the state must approve the addition of new municipalities.

Acutally, the state legislature HELPED move secession to reality in 1997 when it changed state law which HAD allowed any city council to VETO any secession vote within its borders. By 2002 when the secession election took place, a vote in favor would have severed the San Fernando Valley (SFV) from the City of LA.

The election for/against Valley secession in 2002 LOST by a WIDE margin in the City as a whole. Neverthless, it ONLY won by a TINY MARGIN in the SF Valley itself...something like 4,000 more votes in FAVOR than AGAINST. Mind you, there were over 1 million people in the valley in 2002.

That said, my understanding is that in California no "city" within a "city" has sucessfully "broken away" from an existing city since the 1940's or earlier. And certainly no city break up on this scale has happened anywhere in the United States...with regard to municipal break ups.

Last edited by BluSpark; 01-21-2011 at 11:06 PM..

Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 AM

And for whatever it's worth, in that very same 2002 election the question of Hollywood secession was voted down BOTH citywide AND within HOLLYWOOD itself.

Of course, there was never much grassroots support for secession in Hollywood.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
This will not happen. The San Fernando Valley is a cash cow for the city of Los Angeles. Any vote (necessary to secede) will fail because LA voters understand that we in SFV would do better without them and they would do more poorly without us.

The only way this would ever work is if we in SFV could determine our own fate. The leeches in the rest of LA will never permit it. SFV subsidizes LA in general. LA cannot live without milking SFV for our tax money.
I grew up in the valley but live in the LA basin now. So I get the "shot gun" wedding nature of how the valley "joined" the City of Los Angeles.

That said, you can also argue that California pays more in federal taxes than it gets back. Does that mean California should secede from the union?

I don't think a study has been done but I am pretty certain Bel-Air residents pays more per capita in taxes than other parts of the city. Should Bel-Air secede from the City of LA? I am guessing Bel-Air does NOT get as much in police service as some of the more urban, gritty sections of town.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
I grew up in the valley but live in the LA basin now. So I get the "shot gun" wedding nature of how the valley "joined" the City of Los Angeles.

That said, you can also argue that California pays more in federal taxes than it gets back. Does that mean California should secede from the union?

I don't think a study has been done but I am pretty certain Bel-Air residents pays more per capita in taxes than other parts of the city. Should Bel-Air secede from the City of LA? I am guessing Bel-Air does NOT get as much in police service as some of the more urban, gritty sections of town.
Agree with your points. California does need to assert its stance as the largest state and get its money back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or