Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM

8 posts, read 58,834 times

Advertisements

I have had nothing but problems dealing w/one, and it seems like everything that is out there for rent, is mostly ran by Property Management Companies., whatever happened to just dealing w/the property owners?

The company I'm referrering to is MAP Management Co, they are really unprofessional, and charge for everything, including unclogging a drain (whether it is your fault or not) $75, so whats my security deposit for? I also heard they combed the apartments/inspection to find everything wrong, just to give u less or nothing back in your deposit.

Not to mention they ignore me or don't return phone calls, unless it pertains to me paying them the rent. And their onsite managers & Maintenance people are a joke, they do nothing but live free, or brush me off

Is this the common practice w/all Property Management., especially here in So. Calif, or more likely Los Angeles Counties, among other areas nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
My building is run by the owner who is an awesome guy... makes it really tough to every contemplate moving. I think there's a mix out there between owner managed and PM company managed properties.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Why, then I guess I must be the only one that got lucky to have the worst management company to do rentals

SO when did they start charging to fix things to apartments/or any type of rentals?, I thought that was what the security deposit was for?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki_styles View Post
Why, then I guess I must be the only one that got lucky to have the worst management company to do rentals

SO when did they start charging to fix things to apartments/or any type of rentals?, I thought that was what the security deposit was for?
What's the vacancy rate like in your building? If there are multiple vacancies you may have more leverage with PM company than you think.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:22 PM

LASam, Vacancy Rate, I wouldn't know, there are usually no vacancies, (however there was 2 since I've been here & right when I saw the person(s) moving out, they were rented out quickly) its mostly Studios starting @$700 a month, the other 4 units are 2 Bdrm & they were $1000 - 1100 a month, (cheap somewhat because the area isn't the best of, but it is near a police station & my job).

Old 01-24-2011, 03:30 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,306,374 times
I'd rather deal with property management companies. Too often I hear of small buildings run by off kilter landlords who barge into your apartment, yell at you for no reason, and pick personal fights. Property management companies tend to have professional employees who handle things, well, professionally. They also have large maintanence staff on call 24/7, security teams.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:23 PM

362 posts, read 817,819 times
Quote:
LASam, Vacancy Rate, I wouldn't know, there are usually no vacancies, (however there was 2 since I've been here & right when I saw the person(s) moving out, they were rented out quickly) its mostly Studios starting @$700 a month, the other 4 units are 2 Bdrm & they were $1000 - 1100 a month, (cheap somewhat because the area isn't the best of, but it is near a police station & my job).
That's good news. If you break the lease, they should be able to fill the vacancy quickly, and you will not incur too great of a penalty. A bit risky, but I'm only basing that on the suggestion that this place rents out quickly. So maybe you get stuck with a month's rent, but might be worth it given the headaches you are currently undergoing. Just my $0.02

Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM

109 posts, read 204,680 times
Quote:

The company I'm referrering to is MAP Management Co, they are really unprofessional, and charge for everything, including unclogging a drain (whether it is your fault or not) $75, so whats my security deposit for?
A security deposit is to provide financial security to the landlord in case they need to pay to fix anything you've done to the unit beyond normal wear and tear.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cim303 View Post
A security deposit is to provide financial security to the landlord in case they need to pay to fix anything you've done to the unit beyond normal wear and tear.
Ok, but I'm giving them $700 a month, thats to live there, I still feel like I"m getting ripped off, not to mention the apartments are old & need new plumbing & electrical, the only thing I see them ontop of, are the fire alarms, ofcourse they are only $5-10 (lowest priced ones), so thats a write off for them I suppose, I just feel that I'm paying rent & paying them to maintain the place., so unfair.......

Old 06-08-2011, 03:46 PM

just updating this, I finally moved out of these crappy apartments recently. I did get my deposit back, but what a challenge that was, and not on time. Anyhow, here's a link of reviews (one of the places I also use to live at, (rented twice from this Managment company, should have known to stay away the first time around, but they did coherse me into another lease, another city/property of theirs) I feel better that I wasn't the only one that had problems w/the management company...
The Contessa Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Whittier apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles