U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,994,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
But now it seems this "one incident" is a sign that the situation is getting worse overall
One incident - good or bad - is just not enough to indicate anything meaningful about society.

Quote:
And there is nothing more callous than giving "**** happens" as an explanation. If something like that happened to your family or someone you knew, what would you say? "Oh, perfectly legitimate reason, **** does happen. Now I'm going to go back to the computer and check out my team's roster. I love living in la-la land."
There isn't a single post in this thread that says anything like that?

No one is saying the story isn't horrific - it definitely is! But that doesn't make the whole city bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,994,217 times
Nevermind. I just click on Allen's profile and he's started threads on mobs killing people in several different states. It just seems to be what he's interested in...

Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 PM

16,587 posts, read 20,162,906 times

Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM

749 posts, read 985,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Nevermind. I just click on Allen's profile and he's started threads on mobs killing people in several different states. It just seems to be what he's interested in...
Yes...and this thread he created regarding a relative heading to criminal court in Brooklyn.

Relative going to criminal court, anything he should be aware of?

Seems thuggish behavior is all too familar to the OP.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 PM

7,878 posts, read 8,449,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
There was an incident, a while ago, where two men broke into a house, beat the husband and beat & raped the wife AND two kids, and then they were tied up and set on fire (they died). This happened in the Boston area.

That must mean the Boston area is way worse and deteriorating far more quickly than LA!

Personally, I'd rather be hit by a car and robbed than beaten, raped, & set on fire. That's why I live in LA.

It was CT, and it happened in an upper middle class area.

Two monsters were on the loose and that poor woman and her daughters were followed home. It could have happened anywhere.

I do agree the OP is making a case out of nothing. Look what just happened in AZ, it could have happened anywhere.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:40 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,444,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I do agree the OP is making a case out of nothing. Look what just happened in AZ, it could have happened anywhere.
That's why these things are shocking and illicit a news response in the first place.

If we were living in Mogadishu or Gaza, this would be par for the course.

It is NOT normal for a mob to gather for any reason other than to try to get an autograph in Los Angeles.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,016,473 times
I am more inclined to believe this is more isolated incident than indicative of something far more dire. I don't live in Hawthorne (Angeleno, here), but as I understand the story: a driver ran over a pedestrian, drove away. Another driver ran over the pedestrian, then a third driver hit someone responding to the downed pedestrian. He got out, was beaten. Maybe onlookers where looking for someone to take their rage out on by that time, I have no idea. Trying to explain something that bizarre may make me sound like I understand their actions. I certainly do not.

Even the cops on the scene said they had seen nothing remotely like it.

Quote:
Except that things were already bad in those parts a while ago. But now it seems this "one incident" is a sign that the situation is getting worse overall, otherwise what would lead a mob to attack and rob people dying in the middle of the road? Things don't happen in a vacuum that leads a group to magically snap and act inhuman towards others. I know how you people always like to find a ton of external excuses for why there is poverty and crime. What would be the reasons for this sort of event to even occur in the first place?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
1,510 posts, read 1,425,521 times
Quote:
Killings are down in Compton because the thugs have moved elsewhere, and therefore have increased in other areas.

And there is nothing more callous than giving "**** happens" as an explanation. If something like that happened to your family or someone you knew, what would you say? "Oh, perfectly legitimate reason, **** does happen. Now I'm going to go back to the computer and check out my team's roster. I love living in la-la land."
i was certainly not making light of someone's tragedy. what i was making light of is your spurious assumption that this is indicative of some weird trend. This place is a megalopolis. you could draw random connections all over this basin and drive yourself crazy, "Pi" style.

where exactly have all these gangbangers moved? mount washington/cypress park/highland park seem to be cooling off, inglewood is calming down, we have the lowest crime rate city-wide we have had since 1965, and i lived in east LA and that place is very calm. there are always random incidents.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:39 PM

1,691 posts, read 4,180,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I am more inclined to believe this is more isolated incident than indicative of something far more dire. I don't live in Hawthorne (Angeleno, here), but as I understand the story: a driver ran over a pedestrian, drove away. Another driver ran over the pedestrian, then a third driver hit someone responding to the downed pedestrian. He got out, was beaten. Maybe onlookers where looking for someone to take their rage out on by that time, I have no idea. Trying to explain something that bizarre may make me sound like I understand their actions. I certainly do not.

Even the cops on the scene said they had seen nothing remotely like it.
Pretty much what I read as well, with one additional detail that throws the emotional response in the garbage. Not only did they beat the guy who hit the lady running across the street, but stopped to help, they stole his cell phone. He then got in his car and took off until police arrived. He went back to the scene and IDed the guy who beat him and stole his phone.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:44 PM

5,375 posts, read 7,030,237 times
Probably used up a bunch of his prime time minutes too. Gaw! Where will it all end? The horror! The horror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles