U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:25 PM

813 posts, read 671,914 times

Advertisements

Bizarre would have been if there was no hit-and-run, those are actually common. Bizarre would have been cars stopping once drivers saw an injured man on the road, they just kept going until the man died. Bizarre would have been a group of men doing something to save the lives of victims instead of beating and robbing someone who was actually trying to help.

Anytime people indicate something is "inexplicable" its either one of two things. Foul play and nobody wants to fess up, or people's innate psychological defense mechanism that downplays dreadful realizations. The realization here is the little paradise you created for yourself can instantly turn to cruel reality once **** hits the fan. It is quite evident from people not even reading the articles correctly, the mob did not help the injured lady. They simply used it as a pretext to act violent against the man. You can make tons of little excuses but those facts remain.

Bizarre hit-run chain of events in Hawthorne | abc7.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,425,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Bizarre would have been if there was no hit-and-run, those are actually common. Bizarre would have been cars stopping once drivers saw an injured man on the road, they just kept going until the man died. Bizarre would have been a group of men doing something to save the lives of victims instead of beating and robbing someone who was actually trying to help.

Anytime people indicate something is "inexplicable" its either one of two things. Foul play and nobody wants to fess up, or people's innate psychological defense mechanism that downplays dreadful realizations. The realization here is the little paradise you created for yourself can instantly turn to cruel reality once **** hits the fan. It is quite evident from people not even reading the articles correctly, the mob did not help the injured lady. They simply used it as a pretext to act violent against the man. You can make tons of little excuses but those facts remain.

you're right, it was a terrible incident. nobody is saying any different. the scum bags involved should be locked up for years. i don't think anything else needs to be said of this terrible event. let's just hope it doesn't ever happen again.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,430,462 times
I know there used to be a significant African American presence down on that part of Crenshaw Blvd, but it's slowly changed over the past decade to more & more Hispanic. May be race played some role in the mob violence? Or could it be that if the perpetrators are recent immigrants that across the border it's more acceptable to carry out swift justice than waiting for the police?

Old 01-25-2011, 07:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,842,859 times
Sure sounds like a lecture to me. I resent it.

We got 'cruel reality' in droves here. It's part of our culture. From Hickman to Northcott to Elizabeth Short to Manson to Richard Ramirez to Angelo Buono, ad nauseum. Hell, James Elroy's mother was murdered for crying out loud, and he certainly didn't shy away from it. Made a very lucrative career out of it. Unapologetic Angeleno to the core.

Ever been to the 'gift shop' at the Coroner's Office? I'm not proud of any of this horror by any stretch, but to think that we are somehow trying to conceal it, or explain it away? Can't be done, even if we wanted to.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:14 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,724,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Sure sounds like a lecture to me. I resent it.

We got 'cruel reality' in droves here. It's part of our culture. From Hickman to Northcott to Elizabeth Short to Manson to Richard Ramirez to Angelo Buono, ad nauseum. Hell, James Elroy's mother was murdered for crying out loud, and he certainly didn't shy away from it. Made a very lucrative career out of it. Unapologetic Angeleno to the core.

Ever been to the 'gift shop' at the Coroner's Office? I'm not proud of any of this horror by any stretch, but to think that we are somehow trying to conceal it, or explain it away? Can't be done, even if we wanted to.

i am sooooooo in agreement with nickdahammer. what the hell are you actually trying to say here? (great example with james ellroy btw, love that book "my dark places"....)
one of the things i love about los angeles is its sinister, bizarre history. i certainly do not try and pretend that i live in paradise. not too long ago someone on here was complaining about brentwood, how it used to be a great place to live til O.J. Simpson killed his wife, and i laughed for days. safety and calm are really illusions here, just like the green grass that could in no way grow on its own without criminal irrigation (see "chinatown") and illegal labor.

i don't exactly know what you are trying to prove with your post. are you trolling for responses that will tell you you are right? agreeing that there is a nefarious trend afoot? it seems a strange point to argue. so i will just say you are right, so you will leave it alone. god yes, you are so right. please keep us posted on other random trends that you notice as we obviously are not capable of making these connections ourselves. we really appreciate it.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM

95 posts, read 333,187 times
L.A. is nothing like it used to be, at one time Los Angeles had houses below the national average yet their pay was above the national average. The economy in California was usually better than the rest of the country and it was the place for job oportunities. Because of that and the weather so many people moved here and so many houses and buildings were built cheaply at fast rates (i'd say it started in the 70s). Before you knew it things like recessions people could not find work so they would rob and steal just to survive.

The trend just got to the point where more people caused trouble by stealing and doing drugs just to escape their problems than actually work at a real job, and thats how ghettos became ghettos and crime started skyrocketing in the 70s.

Now today we have too much of a polulation in LA. The entertainment industry over time made it to be an ideally rich city and the prices of homes went up and it squeezed the middle class out. So the LA you have today is mostly upper class and lower class, the middle class moved (and still are) moving away. The job market is not great here and alot of hostility is here today.

Blue collar jobs are not as plentiful anymore, and you need a degree PLUS experience to really get a job that can help you live. Those blue collar jobs are now outsourced to illegal or foreigners for low wages and they get no medical.

More people today have roommates because they can't afford life in LA. Family morals in Los Angeles have dissapeared, and greed has taken over.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,842,859 times
These are national trends, no? Not to mention the weakening of the power of Unions in So Cal. Decent wages makes for a strong middle class, low wages not so much. Again, a national problem.

Are you saying this is what caused the madness in Hawthorne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Smith Walters View Post
L.A. is nothing like it used to be, at one time Los Angeles had houses below the national average yet their pay was above the national average. The economy in California was usually better than the rest of the country and it was the place for job oportunities. Because of that and the weather so many people moved here and so many houses and buildings were built cheaply at fast rates (i'd say it started in the 70s). Before you knew it things like recessions people could not find work so they would rob and steal just to survive.

The trend just got to the point where more people caused trouble by stealing and doing drugs just to escape their problems than actually work at a real job, and thats how ghettos became ghettos and crime started skyrocketing in the 70s.

Now today we have too much of a polulation in LA. The entertainment industry over time made it to be an ideally rich city and the prices of homes went up and it squeezed the middle class out. So the LA you have today is mostly upper class and lower class, the middle class moved (and still are) moving away. The job market is not great here and alot of hostility is here today.

Blue collar jobs are not as plentiful anymore, and you need a degree PLUS experience to really get a job that can help you live. Those blue collar jobs are now outsourced to illegal or foreigners for low wages and they get no medical.

More people today have roommates because they can't afford life in LA. Family morals in Los Angeles have dissapeared, and greed has taken over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles