U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM

813 posts, read 671,788 times

Advertisements

I've seen a news clip that really shocked me, it showed some witnesses talking about a huge mob of men beating and robbing hit-and-run victims, ending up in one of them dying. This happened in Hawthorne. I haven't been in the East Coast for a while, but after the economy tanking does it seems some neighborhoods are quickly deteriorating badly?

Deadly California Crashes End With Man Beaten by Mob
The Associated Press: Deadly Ca. hit-and-run ends with man beaten by mob

Deadly California Crashes End With Man Beaten by Mob

Quote:
The bizarre chain of events left one man dead, another arrested and had detectives stunned.
"This one had us scratching our heads," Capt. Mike Ishi told the Los Angeles Times. "It's in a league of its own."
It began when a minivan hit a man Wednesday night as he crossed Crenshaw Boulevard in a spot without a crosswalk, Hawthorne Police Lt. Gary Tomatoni said in a statement. The driver fled the scene.
The man was then run over by a second vehicle, Tomatoni said. That driver also failed to stop.
One of several people who ran to help the man and tried to stop oncoming traffic was hit by a car herself.
That driver stopped to help the woman, but he was attacked by others who had run into the street, who beat him and stole his cell phone, Tomatoni said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM

672 posts, read 1,790,327 times
You're using one incident to indicate the state of the whole of society. That's bad science.

You can talk about the one incident: which was tragic and strange.

Or you can talk about the crime statistics, which have been better and better each year since the 1990s despite the poor economy.

Otherwise, why don't you just say: 'I heard Kobe is a great basketball player and lives in Los Angeles. What is happening to society that everyone single person in Los Angeles is the greatest basketball player since Michael Jordan.'

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
You're using one incident to indicate the state of the whole of society. That's bad science.

You can talk about the one incident: which was tragic and strange.

Or you can talk about the crime statistics, which have been better and better each year since the 1990s despite the poor economy.
Except that things were already bad in those parts a while ago. But now it seems this "one incident" is a sign that the situation is getting worse overall, otherwise what would lead a mob to attack and rob people dying in the middle of the road? Things don't happen in a vacuum that leads a group to magically snap and act inhuman towards others. I know how you people always like to find a ton of external excuses for why there is poverty and crime. What would be the reasons for this sort of event to even occur in the first place?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,272,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
Except that things were already bad in those parts a while ago. But now it seems this "one incident" is a sign that the situation is getting worse overall, otherwise what would lead a mob to attack and rob people dying in the middle of the road? Things don't happen in a vacuum that leads a group to magically snap and act inhuman towards others. I know how you people always like to find a ton of external excuses for why there is poverty and crime. What would be the reasons for this sort of event to even occur in the first place?
There was an incident, a while ago, where two men broke into a house, beat the husband and beat & raped the wife AND two kids, and then they were tied up and set on fire (they died). This happened in the Boston area.

That must mean the Boston area is way worse and deteriorating far more quickly than LA!

Personally, I'd rather be hit by a car and robbed than beaten, raped, & set on fire. That's why I live in LA.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
There was an incident, a while ago, where two men broke into a house, beat the husband and beat & raped the wife AND two kids, and then they were tied up and set on fire (they died). This happened in the Boston area.

That must mean the Boston area is way worse and deteriorating far more quickly than LA!

Personally, I'd rather be hit by a car and robbed than beaten, raped, & set on fire. That's why I live in LA.
You have to love these "head in the hole" responses. We are talking about a mob (tens of people) going in and committing an unpremeditated act against individuals who were already victims of a hit-and-run.

And you are comparing that to a planned home invasion by to men. And where did those two men originate from?

Old 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,556 posts, read 14,059,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
You have to love these "head in the hole" responses.
You have no appreciation of sarcasm. "Head in the hole" might be more aptly applied to the concept in the OP.

So Los Angeles had the Watts riots and the Rodney King riots. What does that say about Los Angeles? Where are you anyway? If you're not in LA then you had better not come here. If you're already here then you had better leave. It's safer that way.

One data point does not make a trend. You cannot extrapolate the future from one data point. A single incident proves only that such an incident can happen. It says nothing at all about whether such an incident is likely to happen in the future.

And finally, "stuff" happens. (There's no point in typing a word that will get turned into asterisks.)

Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,789,119 times
A few years ago, in Attleboro, Mass, a woman got hit by a car while crossing the street and thrown into the opposite lane of traffic. The guy who was driving the car that she was flung into got out, beat her, and then got in his car and drove off. She laid in the middle of the road for nearly a half an hour during rush hour before anyone called the police.

This was shocking to me as a Bostonian, because I recall walking down the street in high school and seeing a guy on a bike get nailed by an overzealous cab; everyone rushed over, called 911, pulled the cabbie out when he tried to get away, and held him down till the cops got there.

It is true: one incident does not typify a place, especially one as big as LA.

FTR, the incident in question about the home invasion was in Connecticut. The two perpetrators were local losers who had hatched a plan to rob the family blind and were career criminals and f-ups.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,272,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
A few years ago, in Attleboro, Mass, a woman got hit by a car while crossing the street and thrown into the opposite lane of traffic. The guy who was driving the car that she was flung into got out, beat her, and then got in his car and drove off. She laid in the middle of the road for nearly a half an hour during rush hour before anyone called the police.

This was shocking to me as a Bostonian, because I recall walking down the street in high school and seeing a guy on a bike get nailed by an overzealous cab; everyone rushed over, called 911, pulled the cabbie out when he tried to get away, and held him down till the cops got there.

It is true: one incident does not typify a place, especially one as big as LA.

FTR, the incident in question about the home invasion was in Connecticut. The two perpetrators were local losers who had hatched a plan to rob the family blind and were career criminals and f-ups.
Really? That was in Conneticut? I could have sworn it was in Boston. Well, that's good that Boston is so safe compared to Conneticut, then! Heh.

I've been attacked, more than once, in Boston. One time on the street, in the morning (9am-ish - rush hour) in front of tons of people. Everyone literally looked the other way when this crazy homeless guy came up to me, punched me, and then threw me against a mailbox. Not one person came to my aid or asked if I was OK. The other time was on the train at night. A full train, I might add. A crazy guy tried to punch me in the face. I ducked, and he punched the window behind me. I ran to the other end of the train. Again, full train and everyone looked away. It felt like I was invisible. I'm female, by the way, and both times it was completely unprovoked. Both experiences were the most surreal of my life and seriously freaked me out. I've also been knocked to the ground by a businessman who was trying to catch the train. He never even turned around.

Nothing like that has never happened to me in LA. I'm not saying it doesn't happen... but you can't take an experience (or two or three or even 10) or a news story and make judgements about an entire city. I wouldn't go around saying "Boston is dangerous!" because of it or "LA is totally safe" either!

I think it's hilarious that the OP called MY post a "hole in the head" response. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:17 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,724,428 times
Oh yeah, so what does this indicate?

i just took a massive poo in my toilet. i don't know what is happening in toilets as of late, but i think we have an epidemic.

Killings are down in Compton, Sheriff's Department says - Los Angeles Times

Old 01-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Oh yeah, so what does this indicate?

i just took a massive poo in my toilet. i don't know what is happening in toilets as of late, but i think we have an epidemic.

Killings are down in Compton, Sheriff's Department says - Los Angeles Times
Killings are down in Compton because the thugs have moved elsewhere, and therefore have increased in other areas.

And there is nothing more callous than giving "**** happens" as an explanation. If something like that happened to your family or someone you knew, what would you say? "Oh, perfectly legitimate reason, **** does happen. Now I'm going to go back to the computer and check out my team's roster. I love living in la-la land."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles