U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,431,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Why would we want to factor out anyone? If someone lives here, and they're unemployed, they count...

That's a good question though. Do they count undocumented workers in the unemployment numbers? How about foreign workers with green cards?

I think the person who mentioned minority unemployment may be referring more to illegal aliens who came to Cali during the housing/RE boom and now are struggling to find any kind of labor jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if the unemployment rate among those who were former day laborers surpassed 30%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 PM

2,626 posts, read 6,003,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
anyway, i guess i am looking for creative solutions to my problems. i have sent out THOUSANDS of resumes with deeply considered cover letters. i have applied everywhere. and nothing is happening. i just don't want to run back home (which is 2300 miles away). maybe there is some sort of program somewhere- maybe a ranch somewhere where i can work in exchange for a room until the economy improves,because i am not afraid of any kind of work. but i am not going on my back. i will run home to mama before i do that. i hate that when a woman gets down its the first thing thought of. i am sure men don't automatically think when times are tough, "think i will go find me a rich top tonight". but i digress.

anybody got any good ideas? a job? someone need their garage cleaned out for fifty bucks? a novel idea to save all of us?
Have you checked out WWOOF? In exchange for about 4-6 hours of work per day, "WWOOFers" receive room and board and get to learn about organic farming and gardening.
About WWOOF-USA

Old 01-23-2011, 06:48 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,993,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
That's a good question though. Do they count undocumented workers in the unemployment numbers? How about foreign workers with green cards?

I think the person who mentioned minority unemployment may be referring more to illegal aliens who came to Cali during the housing/RE boom and now are struggling to find any kind of labor jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if the unemployment rate among those who were former day laborers surpassed 30%.
The official unemployment numbers only include those who are collecting unemployment insurance - which is why they say the unofficial unemployment rate is closer to 18%, since it includes those who are unable to collect UI for whatever reason, those who have exhausted their benefits, those who were self-employed and lost their businesses, and those who have given up looking for work. And you're right, if you included anyone who was in the country illegally and is unemployed, the rate would skyrocket!

Then add in all the people who are currently under-employed, or working part time, when they'd prefer full time, and that's a LOT of people looking for jobs!

And yeah, there are thousands of jobs in the LA area listed on Career Builder or Monster or wherever. But when you factor out the listings that are scammy or for whatever reason, don't lead to a real job, and then you look at the number of people who are unemployed, even if they aren't being officially counted, you can start to get the real picture.

The comment on the first page about how the original poster must be holding out for a CEO job just got to me. Even when someone is willing to take ANY job, it can be difficult to find one in Southern California right now. Not impossible, but definitely difficult.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 PM

507 posts, read 767,531 times
Try a couple of temp agencies. I have friends who had had success with them. Also, why don't you volunteer at a museum, library, zoo, nursing home, etc a day a week. It will keep you busy, help you network and you can add it to your resume. Good luck to you!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:12 PM

6,258 posts, read 10,334,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Oops, my mistake. I thought nighthouse66 was a woman.
As far as I am concerned, everyone on C-D is a freak of nature with a pen.s until proven otherwise! Heck I bet most people are chatting in nude (I can't be the only one!).

OK, I was kidding about the last part, I am wearing socks.

Quote:
FIRST OFF, i am a woman.
FIRST OFF, change your bloody profile icon, it is a male icon! It is misleading.

SECOND OFF, I think you are amazing. I think I might even have a crush on you. All this time I was looking for a girl like you at night clubs and bars and super markets but never thought of checking out the vans down by the river...

OK, silly SNL reference but seriously, I totally admire your strong personality. To me that is sexier....err, I mean more valuable virtue in a woman than anything else. You speak your mind and you are obviously mentally very strong. I am physically strong and a bit mental, care to have dinner with me?

Quote:
and thanks, but i do NOT HAVE CRAPPY CREDIT. i have LITTLE credit. there is a BIG difference. i spent most of my adult life being paranoid about going into debt after i watched my mother and sister drown in it. i freaked out when i first got a CELL phone. i thought, "what if something happens and i can't pay this bill?" i am probably a little neurotic on that tip, having grown up very poor and at times almost homeless with mum over bad financial decisions. so i never, ever got a credit card. if i can't pay for it outright i don't get it.
You are 100% on the right track but sadly, everything in this lala land country evolves around credit. Even companies are checking applicants' credit like it is a normal thing. Really? You missed a payment on your credit card and that makes you a bad employee? More and more States are coming forward with laws to tell those companies that it is not legal and it shouldn't be legal unless it is a financial institution of some kind where it might pose an understandable concern, blah blah blah. I am saying this not because I missed jobs due to my **** span credit hovering around a FICO score of high 700s to low 800s, I am saying it because I believe it is BS for companies to check and make their hiring decision based on that, period.

With that said, if you have 15 years of experience, you should be able to find a job unless you are applying for a specific type of job that is high in demand or a job that you really are not qualified for. One other factor is you are getting disqualified for some reason. Examples to give you an idea (not saying you have any of them): bad hygiene, horrible looks or attitude that can makes mirrors shatter, weird/annoying/inappropriate gestures or manners during interviews but I have been in your shoes (what size do you normally wear?) and the only thing I could think of that eventually found wrong with me during my interviews was having a negative or desperate vibe. Again vibe not attitude! I was trying to be as professional and as cool as I could be but after months of unemployment with no income and not being able to find any job or even get any calls, even the coolest person with the strongest morale (such as myself) can and does start to give in to the dark side. Not giving up and having a strong personality alone is not good enough, you will have to recharge yourself with positive thoughts and up your morale otherwise ....
If you can manage to find something or someone (wink) to boost your morale than I strongly believe your chances will increase exponentially.
A long walk where I go through bunch of thoughts, dreams, problems and dwell on them or think nothing but take deep breaths, enjoy the cool air during the Winter time or the pleasant smells from trees and flowers in the Spring/Summer time. Read a romance book, detail your van or dress up as a female ninja and fight crime in the evenings, whatever works for you but find that thing.

Unemployment section of C-D will likely to provide you more ideas on other things such as how to create a resume, cover letter (or sometimes you are better off without one!)
I actually posted my opinions on that topic too, in short:
~ IF you are not getting calls for your resume submissions, then either:
a) Your resume is poorly written.
b) Not even getting read due to overwhelming number of applicants
c) Job is a dud/fake posting which you seem to have discovered that already.
d) You are not a good match (over, under or simply not qualified) for the job or at least your resume make you seem that way.

I believe for jobs I'd applied but never got an interview out of all the above were applicable but mostly due to b, c or d.

Job market is brutal and has been like this for some time and likely to be that way for at least another couple of years or so.

Also, don't know this, majority of the people I have seen, spoken to or met who were overseeing the hiring process were, for lack of a better word, unqualified idiots. The regulars on C-D who do that kind of work are naturally an exception. E-hem!

Again, there are jobs out there, I was seeing them and could have gotten one of those low paying, crap jobs but I chose not to of course. Does that mean there are no jobs out there at all, of course not, there are bunch of jobs and if I was desperate enough, I would have taken one at least until I found one in my field. I was too proud and stubborn to collect unemployment and instead drained my bank account. Do I regret it, a little but my pride and principles take precedence so I can't b.tch.

Quote:
yes i have gone to starbucks. have you looked for a job lately? its scary.
Getting a job at Starbucks could be harder than getting a job in corporate world. Seriously, their hiring is very corporate-like, biased, mainly on your looks or who-you-know/who-knows-you. You would have much better shop at an individually owned coffee shop or places like "It's a grind" or "Coffee Bean".

Use any and every social connection as well. You will never know who could and might give you a good reference and get you your next job.
You need to socialize and talk to people in that regard, constantly. A good word from a worker in that company is worth a thousand resume (This is not an old saying, I just made it up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Hats off to you for not giving in.

Quitting is easy and you clearly have bundles of pride.

Good luck.
Ditto!

I have been there so I can totally relate to her. I believe she will come out victorious eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
How could they? Hence "undocumented". Even if they had the related data, they would never include it since they are trying to paint a prettier picture than what it really is. Everyone knows all those numbers are much lower than the actual figures but why depress people even more and make employers even more arrogant and bigger low-ballers by sharing the real data?

Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,272,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

A long walk where I go through bunch of thoughts, dreams, problems and dwell on them or think nothing but take deep breaths, enjoy the cool air during the Winter time or the pleasant smells from trees and flowers in the Spring/Summer time. Read a romance book, detail your van or dress up as a female ninja and fight crime in the evenings, whatever works for you but find that thing.
HAH! I think I'm in love.

Thanks for giving me a laugh. If I were hiring, I'd hire you. You too, Nighthouse! (but not as my nanny )

Old 01-24-2011, 12:22 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,724,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Any place where you have a large minority population you are going to have higher unemployment numbers. This for two reasons.... First of all, typically minorities have higher unemployment rates and secondly, illegal aliens are going to be filling jobs resulting in higher unemployment for non-illegals.

We all know that Los Angeles has significant minority influence and this accounts for the high unemployment figure. I am certain that if you factor out minorities, that the unemployment rate is much, much lower.

Even so, they still have 200 jobs at Domino's for delivery drivers.

20yrsinBranson
unfortunately i own a van, and i have already done a little math on that.....and it would be, to say the least, cost prohibitive. being that i may have to live in my van again it would be horrible to lose one's car AND home in one fell swoop, which is precisely what happened to me about two years ago when i was homeless, tired of looking for an affordable place to live, decided to move to austin, gave notice to my job, and promptly got into a car wreck four days before liftoff. my prospective roomie in austin also couldn't wait so i lost my place and (and job as she was an HR for Dell) out there so i was....in a word.....F&%CKED. had to move to joshua tree, get a new van and rebuild it at a very kind and benevolent friend's place who had tools and workspace. i really should post some pics sometime, because my van is way beyond sweet. its got a sink made out of a mixing bowl, bookshelves, a bed, its wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
Hats off to you for not giving in.

Quitting is easy and you clearly have bundles of pride.

Good luck.
thank you, very much. you guys are making me feel better. and who said forums were not a viable form of social interaction.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I'm sorry... I thought you were a guy. Hard to tell on CD sometimes.

I didn't mean to make you feel like a freak, I just meant that people vet nannies pretty thoroughly, and you might be the most responsible person in the world... but you need to be very "clean" on paper. Good credit, relevent work history, etc...

I have the utmost respect for alternative lifestyles (and "freaks," for that matter)! I'm even more impressed now that you lived in a van now that I know you're female! Were you ever worried about safety? I would be. Hell, if anyone is a freak, it's me... I keep moving around the country trying to find "home." I guess I have a pioneer mentality too. I honestly didn't mean to judge. Especially since people in glass houses...

In regards to the references, I just meant that people seem to be moving away from calling each other and more to messaging/emailing/texting. My last company was a pretty big one, and I was surprised that they didn't call my references... they emailed them. I wondered if that's now becoming the norm. I do freelance now, and haven't had anyone call on a reference in years.

I'm not saying it's great to lie on your resume, but it's preferable to being homeless. Gaps in the resume are a red flag which is why I suggested "creating" your own company.
thank you, and i am sorry i was so gruff. i just feel a bit touchy and thank you for the extra advice. and, i have worked as a VJ for the past year, had three club gigs a month for a year and lived at a collective where i worked with almost a hundred bands doing live improv visuals. i made my reel and i put all that on my resume, as well as my being an artists' assistant- only lasted a few months but its on there. good point tho! i also made 8 short videos and films and those are on there too. actually once i laid it all out it looked pretty awesome. it just didn't pay very much, and i had to go back to GA in oct because mum got cancer....lawd.....and had to put my gigs on hold, and the main gig i had was two nights a month and they had to leave the club they were holding it at because the guy went bankrupt....jesus when i write all this garbage out it really makes me think about just going back to the southeast. i had me alot of rough luck for the past two years......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Have you checked out WWOOF? In exchange for about 4-6 hours of work per day, "WWOOFers" receive room and board and get to learn about organic farming and gardening.
About WWOOF-USA
DAMN. i am SO gonna check on that like RIGHT NOW. THANKS!!!! this is exactly what i had in mind, really, these sort of little-known bits of info. THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Quote:
HAH! I think I'm in love.

Thanks for giving me a laugh. If I were hiring, I'd hire you. You too, Nighthouse! (but not as my nanny )
bless you. kids love me, but i am probably too boho for the average family : ) i am more like pamela des barres except i am not a groupie- she babysat frank zappa's kids in the sixties, that's sorta more the type of household i would be appropriate for. HAH!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
As far as I am concerned, everyone on C-D is a freak of nature with a pen.s until proven otherwise! Heck I bet most people are chatting in nude (I can't be the only one!).

OK, I was kidding about the last part, I am wearing socks.

FIRST OFF, change your bloody profile icon, it is a male icon! It is misleading.

SECOND OFF, I think you are amazing. I think I might even have a crush on you. All this time I was looking for a girl like you at night clubs and bars and super markets but never thought of checking out the vans down by the river...

OK, silly SNL reference but seriously, I totally admire your strong personality. To me that is sexier....err, I mean more valuable virtue in a woman than anything else. You speak your mind and you are obviously mentally very strong. I am physically strong and a bit mental, care to have dinner with me?

You are 100% on the right track but sadly, everything in this lala land country evolves around credit. Even companies are checking applicants' credit like it is a normal thing. Really? You missed a payment on your credit card and that makes you a bad employee? More and more States are coming forward with laws to tell those companies that it is not legal and it shouldn't be legal unless it is a financial institution of some kind where it might pose an understandable concern, blah blah blah. I am saying this not because I missed jobs due to my **** span credit hovering around a FICO score of high 700s to low 800s, I am saying it because I believe it is BS for companies to check and make their hiring decision based on that, period.

With that said, if you have 15 years of experience, you should be able to find a job unless you are applying for a specific type of job that is high in demand or a job that you really are not qualified for. One other factor is you are getting disqualified for some reason. Examples to give you an idea (not saying you have any of them): bad hygiene, horrible looks or attitude that can makes mirrors shatter, weird/annoying/inappropriate gestures or manners during interviews but I have been in your shoes (what size do you normally wear?) and the only thing I could think of that eventually found wrong with me during my interviews was having a negative or desperate vibe. Again vibe not attitude! I was trying to be as professional and as cool as I could be but after months of unemployment with no income and not being able to find any job or even get any calls, even the coolest person with the strongest morale (such as myself) can and does start to give in to the dark side. Not giving up and having a strong personality alone is not good enough, you will have to recharge yourself with positive thoughts and up your morale otherwise ....
If you can manage to find something or someone (wink) to boost your morale than I strongly believe your chances will increase exponentially.

Unemployment section of C-D will likely to provide you more ideas on other things such as how to create a resume, cover letter (or sometimes you are better off without one!)
I actually posted my opinions on that topic too, in short:
~ IF you are not getting calls for your resume submissions, then either:
a) Your resume is poorly written.
b) Not even getting read due to overwhelming number of applicants
c) Job is a dud/fake posting which you seem to have discovered that already.
d) You are not a good match (over, under or simply not qualified) for the job or at least your resume make you seem that way.

I believe for jobs I'd applied but never got an interview out of all the above were applicable but mostly due to b, c or d.

Job market is brutal and has been like this for some time and likely to be that way for at least another couple of years or so.

Also, don't know this, majority of the people I have seen, spoken to or met who were overseeing the hiring process were, for lack of a better word, unqualified idiots. The regulars on C-D who do that kind of work are naturally an exception. E-hem!

Again, there are jobs out there, I was seeing them and could have gotten one of those low paying, crap jobs but I chose not to of course. Does that mean there are no jobs out there at all, of course not, there are bunch of jobs and if I was desperate enough, I would have taken one at least until I found one in my field. I was too proud and stubborn to collect unemployment and instead drained my bank account. Do I regret it, a little but my pride and principles take precedence so I can't b.tch.

Getting a job at Starbucks could be harder than getting a job in corporate world. Seriously, their hiring is very corporate-like, biased, mainly on your looks or who-you-know/who-knows-you. You would have much better shop at an individually owned coffee shop or places like "It's a grind" or "Coffee Bean".

Use any and every social connection as well. You will never know who could and might give you a good reference and get you your next job.
You need to socialize and talk to people in that regard, constantly. A good word from a worker in that company is worth a thousand resume (This is not an old saying, I just made it up).

Ditto!

I have been there so I can totally relate to her. I believe she will come out victorious eventually.

How could they? Hence "undocumented". Even if they had the related data, they would never include it since they are trying to paint a prettier picture than what it really is. Everyone knows all those numbers are much lower than the actual figures but why depress people even more and make employers even more arrogant and bigger low-ballers by sharing the real data?
now this one deserved its own lil ol post.
i had no idea my icon was male. so that's what that wee nubbin in the far corner is all about.

thank you for your compliments. and i must say many menfolk are put off sometimes by my ability to live in a van down by the river. i call it jealousy. so you are a bit mental, huh? SCORE!

dressing like a female ninja is sorta my thing. actually, i have become obsessed with ballet and it is keeping me very grounded. in the meantime i think alot of the kill bill scene, where she is buried alive. if that woman can get out of that pickle, surely there is hope for broads like me (wish they had a busting-through-the-casket-emoticon, i would SO use that mother)

my resume is actually quite good, i have helped others write resumes before, read loads about them, added all my activities in the past two years (VJ, artists' assistant, even me films). but my real strength is my cover letters. i was hired on my last job, for which i was actually underqualified for, on the basis of my eloquent cover letter. i spend LOADS of time on them.

certainly not poo-pooing you but just wanted you to know i am trying to cover all the bases, resume wise, attitude wise, and trying to keep them batteries charged. and i have been going out with friends more, even driving up sunset on a whim- just in case i gotta go. i believe firmly in goethe's poem, which i kept with me on my long journey out here which can be summed up in saying, "when you move, providence moves too".

thank you for the warm squishy oh-gosh compliments, because i really need to hear that stuff and remind myself i am not some prima donna sitting round waiting for a handout or a rich husband.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I have the utmost respect for alternative lifestyles (and "freaks," for that matter)! I'm even more impressed now that you lived in a van now that I know you're female! Were you ever worried about safety? I would be. Hell, if anyone is a freak, it's me... I keep moving around the country trying to find "home." I guess I have a pioneer mentality too. I honestly didn't mean to judge. Especially since people in glass houses...

sorry, forgot to answer this, i like to make other females realize they can do alot more than is usually believed and wanted to share on that...

anyway, i was super paranoid in the beginning but it got really much easier. i had by that time camped up in the greenhorn mountains by myself for a month, and parking on venice's back streets seemed a breeze in comparison. couple that with the fact that on my street in venice there was an awesome homeless guy who lived in his van, mr. j, and i got to know him for a couple years and then when i wound up out there, i parked near him whenever i could. he was up at all hours of the night and i knew he would watch out for me.

oftentimes i parked in culver city, which was where i worked, and i would wake up, eat breakfast at the cafe below my office and no one was the wiser. i have very short hair, not butch, just julie driscoll. : ) anyway, i could wash my hair in the sink and take real showers every other day at a friend's apt.

but the thing i hammer home for every chick who wants to do stupid stuff like camp by herself and so on is - RELY ON YOUR INTUITION. seriously. if i could give a class on this i would. it has saved me so many times. at least five times i would be in bed, parked somewhere off washington blvd in cc (for some reason i never got bad vibes in venice) and i would just get this feeling like- its time to move. and i would get out of bed in my jammies and crawl up behind the wheel, take off my sunshade and move. i don't know what it was i was saving myself from, but i heed that stuff. oh, lawd, i could write a book about the weird vibes i have gotten at different moments in life and heeded them and found out later i had saved myself from a whole mess of poop. so ladies- do what you want! but before you do stop worrying...so that your intuition doesn't have to fight through clouds of paranoia to get its message to you!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,272,863 times
Quote:
but the thing i hammer home for every chick who wants to do stupid stuff like camp by herself and so on is - RELY ON YOUR INTUITION. seriously. if i could give a class on this i would. it has saved me so many times. at least five times i would be in bed, parked somewhere off washington blvd in cc (for some reason i never got bad vibes in venice) and i would just get this feeling like- its time to move. and i would get out of bed in my jammies and crawl up behind the wheel, take off my sunshade and move. i don't know what it was i was saving myself from, but i heed that stuff. oh, lawd, i could write a book about the weird vibes i have gotten at different moments in life and heeded them and found out later i had saved myself from a whole mess of poop. so ladies- do what you want! but before you do stop worrying...so that your intuition doesn't have to fight through clouds of paranoia to get its message to you!
a) Be GLAD you didn't end up in Austin if you were going to need to live in your van. Crazy CRAZY hot there! You would have had to keep your van's a/c going 12/7. On the other hand, I knew quite a few people were were into the alternative lifestyle... so maybe you would have fit in really well!

If you ever DO move down there, let me know and I can get you in touch with this chick who also does live improv visuals. She used to do visuals for the Butthole Surfers... and my band! (I'm not saying she can get you a job... but she knows a lot of people... noise musicians, artists, etc...)

b) There's this great book called "The Gift Of Fear" that talks about intuition. The author interviews women who averted attacks and goes over exactly what they were thinking and what they did. Basically, he says that intuition is a series of impressions that we take in too fast to consciously process. When he broke down the situation, though, it became obvious why the women felt uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure reading it saved me from an attack (but I'll never know, heh).

Anyway. That is all. Now I kinda DO want to hire you as my nanny! Only... I don't need one, .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or