Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 AM

28 posts, read 70,228 times

Advertisements

I'm staying in Pasadena next weekend but the hotel I'll be at doesn't have a very good workout place. I'm a member at Bally's gym and I noticed there's a location in the downtown area. Is this a safe area? I looked on Google Maps street view and I couldn't even find a parking lot for this place. Wondering if this is a good area, how the workout equipment is compared to other gyms, and is there good parking available? I want to add that the area looks so-so. I want to be in a safe area.

Last edited by hatsjacob; 01-23-2011 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,722,396 times
Yes, downtown Pasadena (aka "Old Pasadena", is very safe, and VERY nice. I've never been to the Bally's, though. (is it the one on south Arroyo?) Leave some time to walk around afterwards and maybe grab a meal; Old Pasadena is beautiful, historic, and if you're into shopping, has lots of stores. Don't worry, as it's definitely a very nice area, and with a lot of very upscale businesses. Here's the Old Pasadena website, complete with maps; it looks like there's a lot directly adjacent to the Bally's.
Old Pasadena : Maps and Parking

Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 AM

749 posts, read 1,861,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatsjacob View Post
I'm staying in Pasadena next weekend but the hotel I'll be at doesn't have a very good workout place. I'm a member at Bally's gym and I noticed there's a location in the downtown area. Is this a safe area? I looked on Google Maps street view and I couldn't even find a parking lot for this place. Wondering if this is a good area, how the workout equipment is compared to other gyms, and is there good parking available? I want to add that the area looks so-so. I want to be in a safe area.
As uptown urbanist stated, downtown Pasadena is VERY safe.

I can't comment on that specific Bally's but in general the Bally's in So.Calif. are not great. I am sure it will be fine for your purposes but the Bally's chain in So.Calif. has some of the most outdated gyms/work out facilities around.

Again, for a few days I am sure it will get the job done. And no worries about the area....it's a splendid historic downtown. You could walk the area at 2am and not be worried.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:01 AM

362 posts, read 817,462 times
Very safe area.

Ballys in SoCal are garbage, but if you have a national plan, then just tough it out for the week.

If you don't have a national plan, and would have to pay by the day at Ballys, then I would suggest doing a free, one week trial pass at LA Fitness which is also nearby and is a nicer facility.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:06 PM

987 posts, read 1,745,308 times
Agreed, Old Pasadena is safe, I've walked there at nite shopping even. And that Bally's should suffice, since its a weekend, but agree the Bally's chain have gone down the toilet here in So. Cal, the outdated equipment that they keep having to fix & the musky smell of the old carpet(s). But in re to Hotel gyms, two treadmills & an exercise ball in a small room or closet do no justice to people who are serious about working out.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:28 AM

573 posts, read 970,557 times
Bally's in general is not the greatest chain to become a member of but I think this is endemic to all chain gyms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: