U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:58 AM

3,056 posts, read 4,351,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
I have no interest staying in the Bay Area.
I'm not trying to push this off-topic, but I'm curious why that is and what would make either Portland or LA preferable over it. If its something personal never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM

9 posts, read 49,564 times
Portland is pretty but the snow sometimes is quite intense. The west coast is so magical sometimes, you feel like you're in a fairy tale.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 943,358 times
Portland

Pros
1. No sales tax!!!
2. low traffic
3. cool/cheap food scene
4. Things are lush and green

Cons
1. Things are lush and green because it rains and rains and rains.
2. Why do they need gas station attendants?
3. Not as many museums, theaters, music venues etc.

Los Angeles
Pros
1. Weather. Honestly, I wonder if there would be a mass-exodus from this area if the weather turned ugly permanently.
2. There is a lot of cultural stuff and outdoor stuff to do every day if you want.
3. Ethnic Diversity=better/more options in terms of food. I personally don't care what ethnicity my neighbors are apart from their culinary contributions.

Cons
1. Cost of living. You pay a HUGE premium to live in LA in terms of housing, taxes etc.
2. Traffic. It is no joke, it takes me an hour plus to go 26 miles in the morning.
3. Schools. Not sure where you are at in terms of children. You are either going to pay a lot to live in a nice school district or pay a lot for private school.

Okay, looking at this list I can tell I need to go get lunch.

Anyway, family might not be a big deal now, but it is good to have people that you trust unconditionally only a short drive away.

Last edited by Captain Obvious; 01-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: d

Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM

600 posts, read 1,257,105 times
My family just moved from Portland to LA. In fact we lived in Lake Oswego and grew up there. There are definitely pros and cons to each city

Portland

PROS:

*Cost of living is low
* Beach and mountains an hour away from downtown
*You get all 4 seasons
*Friendly people
*Schools for the most part are decent (Lake Oswego, West Linn, Beaverton)
* Good place to raise a family

Cons:

*Job market there now is in the toilet
*The 8 or sometimes 9 months of gray skies/clouds/rain/chilly weather gets old really quick
*Portland is not diverse
*Local government focuses too much energy on ridiculous things like seeing-eye ponies on mass transit (yes, its true), who owns the "Made in Oregon" sign, what to do with the Memorial Coliseum, bike boxes and whether or not classical music should be played at light rail stations
*Portland is still a little city trying to grow up...there isnt much to do
*I think traffic in Portland is actually WORSE than LA. Reason being there are only a few main routes to get anywhere in the city. For example - there are 2 freeways running North/South to accomodate all the people who live in PDX and work in Vancouver and vice versa. And with all the bridge work they need to do it will get worse. Traffic is backed up all.the.time starting at 1pm pretty much on any freeway. Portland has done nothing to keep up with population growth when it comes to freeways and highways. Take HWY 26, which takes everyone on the westside into downtown and also is the main route to the coast. It is still only TWO lanes each way.

LA

PROS:

*Weather - cannot be beat
*Diversity
*Endless activities to do
*Food
*Shopping

CONS:

*Almost impossible to raise a family here in a decent neighborhood, in a nice home near good schools without breaking the bank
*Housing is ridiculously overpriced

Old 01-25-2011, 02:06 PM

75 posts, read 362,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm not trying to push this off-topic, but I'm curious why that is and what would make either Portland or LA preferable over it. If its something personal never mind.
It's nothing personal. Just not that interested in the area. It's impossible to find a reasonably priced home without having to live 60 miles away. Also, I'm not too crazy about all the hills, for driving purposes. But, the mass transit is phenomenal, in my opinion.

But, I wouldn't move anywhere in Los Angeles if I didn't have a job at most 10 or so miles away.

Last edited by newyorker19; 01-25-2011 at 02:30 PM..

Old 01-25-2011, 02:12 PM

1,058 posts, read 943,358 times
Split the difference and move to Seattle.

You get the same crappy weather, but there is more stuff to do!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:40 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,785,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Split the difference and move to Seattle.

You get the same crappy weather, but there is more stuff to do!
Seattle is the dullest city I've ever lived in!

Old 01-25-2011, 03:54 PM

75 posts, read 362,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Seattle is the dullest city I've ever lived in!
Besides, if the weather is worse, which it is, I definitely wouldn't want to move there.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,362,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammys View Post
The west coast is so magical sometimes, you feel like you're in a fairy tale.
Not LA. No fairy tale living here. Maybe you're thinking of Big Sur or something.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:01 PM

600 posts, read 1,257,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker19 View Post
Besides, if the weather is worse, which it is, I definitely wouldn't want to move there.
I wouldnt move there either. Bad weather AND high cost of living? No thanks. Their traffic isnt much better either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or