Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,617 times

Advertisements

Hello I live in San Pedro and I think that it is a fairly okay city, not the best but its ok~

I am a senior right now who is in senior thesis, first off I would want to know what would you want to change about San Pedro?

Like:
Would you want there to be less gangs
A paint job to this bland town
Or should we be like Long Beach and create things like The Pike or other things like that.

Also:

If you ever have ben to San Pedro could you tell me whether or not you like it or not.
What did you like about it
or
What you hate about it

All oppinions wanted please

Because I am trying to get the oppinions of people all over just to see if maybe just maybe we can have some hope of changing our town and making better then it is right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 10,619 times
The only change that I would like to see is keeping the lower half of San Pedro cleaner. Streets 25th and down (towards the freeway.) The higher you get in numbers the cleaner the area seems to be.

Also, I highly doubt there is a way to "get rid" of gangs altogether. Gangs will form no matter where a person lives. That's inevitable.

A paint job? I believe San Pedro is highly unique in it's designs, architecture, and colors. I wouldn't change a thing. The paint may be from 40-60 years ago and that's beautiful to me. I love old little towns staying the SAME that they began.

I was born in San Pedro, on 17th street to be exact, and have lived here my whole life. I have moved to other places from time to time (and lived outside the country) and I always come back. I adore San Pedro, it's people, it's landmarks, and it's heritage.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 PM

749 posts, read 1,862,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoocassie View Post
Hello I live in San Pedro and I think that it is a fairly okay city, not the best but its ok~

I am a senior right now who is in senior thesis, first off I would want to know what would you want to change about San Pedro?

Also:

If you ever have ben to San Pedro could you tell me whether or not you like it or not.
What did you like about it
or
What you hate about it

All oppinions wanted please

Because I am trying to get the oppinions of people all over just to see if maybe just maybe we can have some hope of changing our town and making better then it is right now.
Seems like San Pedro is the all too often the "forgotten province" of Los Angeles. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and people in the valley always complain about the "neglect" of city hall. But with over 1 million people in the valley they get plenty of attention.

San Pedro, perhaps due to its small size and geographical isolation, seems like LA's forgotten step child. Of course, that is probably ok with most San Pedro residents. But let's not forget what an economc engine the port is for LA's economy and yet the residents in San Pedro must deal with the smog and congestion that come with being at the epicenter of the one of the largest ports in the world.

I do NOT think a Long Beach model of tourist traps like the Pike are the tonic for San Pedro. I do like the idea of "greening" the waterfront to make bike paths and pedestrian orientation the focus. Tragically, we've negelected our "waterfronts" all too often in LA (including the LA River).

San Pedro has a lot of HIDDEN treasures like the Angels Gate Cultural Center.
Angels Gate Cultural Center

San Pedro DOES have a deep and interesting history. Most people are probably not aware of the range and depth of characters that have either hailed from or resided in San Pedro. To name just a few:

1. The Minutemen. Very INFLUENTIAL and GIFTED punk/alternative rock band from the early 1980's whose three founding members were all San Pedro kids. The two surviving members still reside there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minutemen_(band)

2. Joe Hill. Famed labor leader and songwriter in the ealry 1900's who was put on the firing line in trumped up charges. He worked and lived at the San Pedro docks around 1910. Joe Hill became an inspiration to the likes of Bob Dylan and other folksingers of the 1960's.
Joe Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Art Pepper. Famous and talented jazz saxophonist was born in Gardena but raised in San Pedro.
Art Pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Kris Novolelic. Bass player for the band Nirvana grew up in San Pedro until he was about 14 yrs old.

5. Charles Bukowski. Poet & writer who lived in San Pedro for many years and in fact died at his home in San Pedro, circa 1994.

The artistic and musical treasure that is San Pedro's history should be built into the fabric of any new public space on the waterfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles