U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:43 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,021,302 times

Advertisements

I just found this thread and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good places to stay downtown or in Hollywood.

I'd consider staying downtown when I visit LA with my girlfriend, but I don't know if we'll be spending the dough to stay at the Biltmore... Someone mentioned the Standard hotel. Any other places worth checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 12:02 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,288,060 times
I would choose Downtown over Hollywood. I never liked Hollywood that much. Too many transplants and transients.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,271,127 times
I stayed at the Standard (in Hollywood) once, and it was horrible. Paper thin walls... we didn't sleep all night because of the noise. And when I say "noise," I mean I could hear the guy in the next room sneezing like he was right next to my ear. Rude "hipper than thou" staff, too.

I liked the design of the hotel, though.

My parents once stayed at The Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast (near Laurel Canyon & Sunset) and LOVED it! The guys that run it were great and invited my husband & I for breakfast, too. (it was delicious)

This was years ago, and they still talk about the place.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times
If you're looking for cheap and convenient, you can't beat the Motel 6 on Whitley Ave in Hollywood. It's not cool or trendy by any means, but the location is extremely central. Our relatives used to stay there when they came to visit.

We stayed in the Sanborn Guest House in Silverlake one time, and liked it. It was quiet, had a shared kitchen, and there's parking if you need it. It's also pretty centrally located, and within walking distance of both Los Feliz and the heart of Silverlake.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:18 AM

749 posts, read 1,545,151 times
I've heard the Milner Hotel in Downtown LA is pretty decent (and runs about $100 a night).

Milner Hotels - Los Angeles, California - Call Toll Free! - 1-877-Milners

Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 AM

749 posts, read 1,545,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post

i really hope they bring broadway back.
Your hope for Broadway is starting to manifest itself....block by block. All the more amazing given the depth of the recession.

Some serious, legit players with "real money" are putting money into rehabbing buildings and opening businesses.

Assuming the economy does not go into a double dip, I'd say Broadway in 5 years will be quite different from what it is today. Granted it will probably be more like 10 for it to fully live up to its potential.

Too numerous to mention but several buildings like the Chapman (8th/Broadway) have already been restored with ground floor retail and residential above.

Some more recent announcements:
Umamicatessen and Two Boots Pizza Bring Delicious to Broadway :: blogdowntown

Clifton's Cafeteria Being Taken Over by The Edison's Andrew Meieran :: blogdowntown

Old 01-29-2011, 02:34 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,842,328 times
True. The Chapman is a beautiful building. They were selling units there at first, now leasing. That 8th Street stretch is getting better and better all the time. I know the Republic lofts are leasing as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or