U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

I'll be visiting LA in June this year, and when looking for a place to stay I found Hollywood seemed to be the real entertainment and cultural hub of the greater LA area, maybe with West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I'm just wondering if native Angelenos can give an overall comparison of ALL aspects of the two areas, despite their big differences. Downtown seems more about the commercial side while Hollywood revolves around the entertainment industry and tourism, but what of the more in-depth differences and similarities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM
 
1,882 posts, read 2,723,006 times
Reputation: 3871
cultural center of los angeles? i don't think that is really true at all. not in my mind. i have been here for a few years and i much, much, MUCH prefer downtown. it really depends on what you like. do you want to see the typical, iconic, hollywood crap? you want to see grauman's, the hollywood sign, walk of fame, pantages, etc? then of course you should go to hollywood. are you like me and dig noir films, great architecture, the 1940's, and history in general? you want something more REAL? Go downtown. alot of people don't know this but downtown los angeles has more unbroken blocks of early 20th century buildings than any other city in the US. what i love about it is that on the ground floor, you might have some sort of flea market, bodega, etc- but if you look up, you realize this is a HELLA old building, then you notice an old foyer and gargoyles, etc. there are 32 theatres in the theatre district, and i think only 3 or 4 are open to the public. when i say theatre, i mean, freaking huge proscenium ceilinged, red-velveted, balconied extravaganzas that are simply never going to be built again probably. one of a kind structures.
another thing i love about downtown was that this was the LA that people coveted before hollywood became the place it is today. a typical visitor in the 30s or 40s to los angeles would NOT land in hollywood, they would probably land at union station. THEIR iconic los angeles would have been pershing square, the biltmore (SIGH, you must see the biltmore, you must, you must, you must, its where the last siting of the black dahlia took place, and she supposedly haunts it....), bunker hill (now long since gone) etc etc etc. everytime i go downtown (esp. at night) its almost like there is a transparency over the place, as if i can see the ghosts and the dreams of all those former inhabitants. its just a far, far, far spookier and heavier place for me than hollywood will ever be. hollywood is like marilyn monroe. and downtown is like the black dahlia. its all a matter of taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: El Segundo/All of South Bay up to Palos Verdes
982 posts, read 1,384,886 times
Reputation: 4658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
this was the LA that people coveted before hollywood became the place it is today. a typical visitor in the 30s or 40s to los angeles would NOT land in hollywood, they would probably land at union station. THEIR iconic los angeles would have been pershing square, the biltmore (SIGH, you must see the biltmore, you must, you must, you must, its where the last siting of the black dahlia took place, and she supposedly haunts it....), bunker hill (now long since gone) .
I remember training at the old May Company on Wilshire, I can still see that old building standing tall....and at that time I was so scared to be out there (to a kid it was a big city!) I told my mother about that experience, she laughed and told me the stories of the glamorous life in DTLA back her days of 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's, then says after the 70's it started going downhill since, up until the past 6 or 7 yrs since they've revamped it, I'm glad they have preserved the old buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
Reputation: 3323
hollywood would be a more central location to see the rest of the city and you would have easy subway access to downtown if you wanted to visit there. also, you can't really call any part of LA the cultural hub. major culture destinations are located all over the city, from the opera house and disney hall downtown, to the live theater and music venues of hollywood, to the getty center on the westside, to the griffith park observatory in the hills, not to mention pasadena, beverly hills and santa monica. there's also USC, UCLA and venice beach. there is no hub of culture, LA is too spread out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 12:50 PM
 
1,058 posts, read 943,358 times
Reputation: 624
I work in Downtown LA and it couldn't be any more boring. This is not to say that there aren't any attractions, but there is a reason why so much stuff is filmed down there (it is completely empty on weekends/weeknights).

You would be better served being in Hollywood, since you would be closer to many different areas of interest (as mentioned by a previous poster).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: El Segundo/All of South Bay up to Palos Verdes
982 posts, read 1,384,886 times
Reputation: 4658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I work in Downtown LA and it couldn't be any more boring. This is not to say that there aren't any attractions, but there is a reason why so much stuff is filmed down there (it is completely empty on weekends/weeknights).

You would be better served being in Hollywood, since you would be closer to many different areas of interest (as mentioned by a previous poster).
Ironic you mention that, the "crew" is hogging up the parking lots (both sides) on Los Angeles St/2nd St. I work out here too & that always seems to be the case, it always changes everyones plans for lunch out here.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2011, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
749 posts, read 1,544,804 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
I work in Downtown LA and it couldn't be any more boring. This is not to say that there aren't any attractions, but there is a reason why so much stuff is filmed down there (it is completely empty on weekends/weeknights).

You would be better served being in Hollywood, since you would be closer to many different areas of interest (as mentioned by a previous poster).
This is most certainly NOT true. I was out in downtown last weekend and was AMAZED at all the new bars with lines to get in. Granted that downtown LA is a far cry from Times Square but your statement above is WAY OFF the mark.

That said, I can see why Hollywood might be the best choice for the OP given its central location and that it is a short subway to downtown.

But really either location would be interestesting and centrally located....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
Reputation: 2244
are you serious?
i think DTLA would be the MOST central. easy trip over the bridges to east los. head south and you are in South C. Go north and you have both pasadena or hollywood (depending on with north you go).

from hollywood the only thing thats really accessible is... the valley?

and DTLA does a growing night scene.
hollywood is more established and has all the flashy clubs and bars, but DTLA has more to offer culturally- except when you want to see a brodaway type of play then you go to a place like the pantages. architecturally DTLA has most area beat.

i really hope they bring broadway back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
hollywood would be a more central location to see the rest of the city and you would have easy subway access to downtown if you wanted to visit there. also, you can't really call any part of LA the cultural hub. major culture destinations are located all over the city, from the opera house and disney hall downtown, to the live theater and music venues of hollywood, to the getty center on the westside, to the griffith park observatory in the hills, not to mention pasadena, beverly hills and santa monica. there's also USC, UCLA and venice beach. there is no hub of culture, LA is too spread out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Mt Washington: NELA
1,162 posts, read 2,841,726 times
Reputation: 636
Really depends on what your pleasure is. You could certainly stay at the Standard (for example), hop the subway to Hollywood. Then take it back to the hotel. Or stay in Hollywood, vice versa. The ArtWalk is awesome (dtwn), and there are LOTS of things to see, cultural and otherwise down there. This idea that nothing goes on there at night is true IF you don't visit LA Live during a Lakers/Clippers/Kings game; hit the ArtWalk; check out the LA Phil or Opera; visit Pete's Cafe, or Bottega Louies, or the Pantry (all open well past midnight), etc. I even checked out the L.A. Independent a couple of months ago (the old Linda Lea Theatre on Main Street) on a weeknight. Not a mob of people, but enough to make it an event.

LA Live! is kinda fun on game nights (or concert nights at Nokia), and the Regal theaters are very nice.
Not all of downtown is busy at night, but there ARE areas that are usually active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
cultural center of los angeles? i don't think that is really true at all. not in my mind. i have been here for a few years and i much, much, MUCH prefer downtown. it really depends on what you like. do you want to see the typical, iconic, hollywood crap? you want to see grauman's, the hollywood sign, walk of fame, pantages, etc? then of course you should go to hollywood. are you like me and dig noir films, great architecture, the 1940's, and history in general? you want something more REAL? Go downtown. alot of people don't know this but downtown los angeles has more unbroken blocks of early 20th century buildings than any other city in the US. what i love about it is that on the ground floor, you might have some sort of flea market, bodega, etc- but if you look up, you realize this is a HELLA old building, then you notice an old foyer and gargoyles, etc. there are 32 theatres in the theatre district, and i think only 3 or 4 are open to the public. when i say theatre, i mean, freaking huge proscenium ceilinged, red-velveted, balconied extravaganzas that are simply never going to be built again probably. one of a kind structures.
another thing i love about downtown was that this was the LA that people coveted before hollywood became the place it is today. a typical visitor in the 30s or 40s to los angeles would NOT land in hollywood, they would probably land at union station. THEIR iconic los angeles would have been pershing square, the biltmore (SIGH, you must see the biltmore, you must, you must, you must, its where the last siting of the black dahlia took place, and she supposedly haunts it....), bunker hill (now long since gone) etc etc etc. everytime i go downtown (esp. at night) its almost like there is a transparency over the place, as if i can see the ghosts and the dreams of all those former inhabitants. its just a far, far, far spookier and heavier place for me than hollywood will ever be. hollywood is like marilyn monroe. and downtown is like the black dahlia. its all a matter of taste.
That's true, I believe Los Angeles was actually more 'city-like' in the past, and is now actually reclaiming it's true character after it became overshadowed by Hollywood from the 1920s onwards. With streetcars and the rail network until the 1960s it still must've been pretty vibrant in the early to mid 20th century.

Along with Paris is one of two cities associated with 'film noir' and associated literature, which when you consider the stereotypes seems surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top