U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 5,551 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm not an aspiring writer. I am well aware of the humorous shots taken at anyone who puts the word "aspiring" into their title sentence. I can already feel the veteran posters licking their chops. I apologize for baiting you.

However, I would greatly appreciate advice on the sole truthful part of my title. I'm a longtime reader, first time poster. I will be moving to the L.A. this coming spring, and I haven't quite found the full amount of information needed to make an informed decision.

I'll give a little bit about myself just to get the ball rolling. My name is Jeff, and I'm from the New York Metropolitan area. I work in Stamford, CT in Television Production. I've been pining to switch coasts for a couple of years, and due to an opportunity that recently arose, I now have the chance.

My actual job location will most likely be on the west side, but even with roommates, it still registers as somewhat pricey for living arrangements. I have an overall budget of roughly $1500 a month for total expenses. With that in mind, I understand that I will be sharing an apartment with 3-5 other people and eating a substantial amount of rice and beans. I have already come to the conclusion that I will be riding my motorcycle as my main mode of transportation; if that factors into any kind of recommendation commute wise.

I've heard pretty extensively about the saying that L.A. is so subdivided into smaller communities that it's really important that you choose the one that best fits your personality. I am most comfortable in a neighborhood that is youthful, and leaning towards urban. I certainly would prefer a walkable area that has a varied selection of restaurants, bars, ect. I can't say that I'm all that into edgy nightclubs, but lively nightlife is on my list of pro's.

I realize that I have probably left an enormous amount off, so if there are any details that I've failed to mention, please ask.

It might help to know that I'm in the 18-21 age bracket. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,390,422 times
you won't be able to afford santa monica even with roommates.

north hollywood, yes. not a great area by any stretch of the imagination but I hear of plenty kids with little cash who move out there and survive. also, real north hollywood, not so much the "Noho" area which is pricier. though maybe if you cram real tight you could live in noho

north hollywood has an arts district (noho) and is near studio city which is artsy, and over the hill is hollywood, so it should suit you well, just be careful and aware of your surroundings.

wait your job is in the westside? why not consider venice beach, mar vista or palms? All are altenrative and artsy and affordable if you cram in w/roommates. also safer and better weather than north hollywood.

there's also echo park near downtown LA. affordable if you cram in, very artsy and lively, still seedy but getting better fast.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:52 PM

29,640 posts, read 32,018,309 times
If I'm reading the right the OP doesn't actually have a job or roommates...it's all just conjecture?
18-21...wait until you are 21. You can write where you are of course.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM

13 posts, read 12,891 times
Honestly, living on $1500 a month anywhere in LA is a bit of a stretch... but if you're looking for an adventure and are realistic about what you'll get for the money, who are we to dissuade you?

If you choose to live in North Hollywood, you'll end up spending a lot on your commute (time and money). Santa Monica, unfortunately, is out of your price range... but a number of other Westside communities are not. I second the idea of finding a place with roommates in Palms -- look in 90034 south of the 10 freeway. You'll find lots of other creative types living with similar financial constraints. It is one of the denser neighborhoods in the city, and it is adjacent to downtown Culver City's relatively vibrant night life. Best of luck, and welcome to LA.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 5,551 times
With regards to Ceece's response, I have a job lined up. I am just in the process of finding the most suitable neighborhood for my budget and commute. I will check out the other westside communities. I hadn't heard all that much about palms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or