U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times

Advertisements

"Lifestyle" is something I hear a lot but wonder if it really means anything. I suspect some of it is fantasy, but if you want to avoid the snow and like warm weather, yes. Or if you have a beach hobby.. Good lifestyle. Otherwise it's work, home, bills to pay, laundry to do, and saving your money so you can go out once in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 16,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
On average, how many hours of TV and movies do you watch per week?
Okay, I know what you mean. Guess this wasn't the right way to ask about Southern California. Sorry for showing interest in your state. I'm sorry for imagine something that obviously isn't correct. Come on, I'm an European politely asking you and other residents in Southern California about the area.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:08 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
On average, how many hours of TV and movies do you watch per week?
hahahahaha

yeah, does it include "L.A. Ink", "O.C." (wait is that still even on?)

aw, just joshing. seriously though, this is a magical place, if by magic, you include satanism along with airy-fairy paganism.

in fact that's what i love about this place. all that weirdness. that's why david lynch loves it as well. no other city in america combines such bright lights with such all encompassing dark. if you've got the turn of mind that i have, then you will find this place endlessly fascinating. we've got murders, cults, the black dahlia, noir films, griffith park, and just about every film you see is either made here, produced or admin'd here, or filmed here. just the other night i watched "nightwatch" or whatever that film was where the guy is a nightwatchman at a medical examiners office, and lo and behold, there was the fais-dos-dos, where i used to work as a VJ. i am a hick- i love those moments. so if you like a little bit of sinister or weirdness, well, welcome to los angeles.

ps, its dangers are heartily overrated.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"Lifestyle" is something I hear a lot but wonder if it really means anything. I suspect some of it is fantasy, but if you want to avoid the snow and like warm weather, yes. Or if you have a beach hobby.. Good lifestyle. Otherwise it's work, home, bills to pay, laundry to do, and saving your money so you can go out once in awhile.
Hmm.. I actually did hope that this thread wouldn't turn out as it has done. Of course I know that you and 38 million other people in CA lives an everyday life with work, school and so on. Maybe I should have asked what the whole deal about Southern California is instead. It seems like, that if you include the word "dream" in the same message as "SoCal" it won't turn out very well

Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortKing View Post
Hmm.. I actually did hope that this thread wouldn't turn out as it has done. Of course I know that you and 38 million other people in CA lives an everyday life with work, school and so on. Maybe I should have asked what the whole deal about Southern California is instead. It seems like, that if you include the word "dream" in the same message as "SoCal" it won't turn out very well
awwwww, don't let it get you down. its just that us CDers who live in LA get a least thirty million threads of "hey guys, i love the beach, can i just roll into town and become a star" a day. you don't sound quite as naive so just take it in stride. i don't recommend coming out SOOOOOON, as no one can find a job here (or very few). but as far as a visit, we need your tourism dollars! all those starving artists on the boardwalk need you! seriously, people are nice here, sometimes it doesn't reflect on these forums.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
hahahahaha

yeah, does it include "L.A. Ink", "O.C." (wait is that still even on?)

aw, just joshing. seriously though, this is a magical place, if by magic, you include satanism along with airy-fairy paganism.

in fact that's what i love about this place. all that weirdness. that's why david lynch loves it as well. no other city in america combines such bright lights with such all encompassing dark. if you've got the turn of mind that i have, then you will find this place endlessly fascinating. we've got murders, cults, the black dahlia, noir films, griffith park, and just about every film you see is either made here, produced or admin'd here, or filmed here. just the other night i watched "nightwatch" or whatever that film was where the guy is a nightwatchman at a medical examiners office, and lo and behold, there was the fais-dos-dos, where i used to work as a VJ. i am a hick- i love those moments. so if you like a little bit of sinister or weirdness, well, welcome to los angeles.

ps, its dangers are heartily overrated.
Haha well, this thread hasn't turn out very well. Of course media and entertainment has affected me, but it's not the thing which made me wonder about what the big deal about the place is. By the way, the movie "Nightwatch" was originally produced in Denmark, where i'm from

Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM

600 posts, read 1,256,907 times
Quote:
To be fair - your original post sounded like you've seen too many movies or tv shows that are set here in So Cal. For those of us that live here that arent movie stars, the reality is that we work, pay bills and try to make a decent living. What did you expect everyone to tell you?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
awwwww, don't let it get you down. its just that us CDers who live in LA get a least thirty million threads of "hey guys, i love the beach, can i just roll into town and become a star" a day. you don't sound quite as naive so just take it in stride. i don't recommend coming out SOOOOOON, as no one can find a job here (or very few). but as far as a visit, we need your tourism dollars! all those starving artists on the boardwalk need you! seriously, people are nice here, sometimes it doesn't reflect on these forums.
Thanks As i mentioned in my first message, I don't care about all that "Hollywood" stuff. Actually you're right, people seems to be tremendously grumpy in the Los Angeles section. But I can understand you for sure. All those shallow rockstar dreams, would make me pissed as well

Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy32673 View Post
To be fair - your original post sounded like you've seen too many movies or tv shows that are set here in So Cal. For those of us that live here that arent movie stars, the reality is that we work, pay bills and try to make a decent living. What did you expect everyone to tell you?
Yeah, guess I should edit my first post This thread is actually my first ever here on city-data forums. I expected people to tell me pros and cons of living in SoCal, what they love about the area and what the big deal is about SoCal.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Hi there! I'm a guy from Europe who has thought of if it's really that nice in SoCal as I think it is. I really want to visit especially Los Angeles and its surroundings to see if it's fulfill my "expectations" about SoCal and the Los Angeles Area. But please, don't misunderstand me. The things which fascinates me about Southern California is not the whole "Glitter, Fashion and Hollywood" thing. No, it's actually the lifestyle, nature, climate and cultures in the area. Of course I have heard about problems in California too, like smog, immigrants, gangs and traffic. Maybe i'm just another California-dreamer, but I would like to hear from residents in California if I actually should chase my dream, which is to live in Southern California someday. Or would you consider me as an irritating immigrant?

Southern California is the place I dream of every single day
Okay, this first thread didn't turn out well. Please get me right, i'm not one of those shallow Hollywood rockstar people. I'm sorry if I pissed some of you off...
What's the big deal about SoCal? Why are so many companies moving there? (not film industry companies) Pros and cons of living in Southern California? Thanks in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or