U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM

331 posts, read 716,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post

OTOH, where I live downtown currently
What does OTOH stand for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,037,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
^^^^^^^^^This is most definitely true in LA. I know several succesful women in their 30's and 40's who literally do not date(and probably should) because they have standards so high and numerous that literally no man could meet those standards. And if a guy does not meet those standards, the ladies consider it "settling" if they date that guy.
The problem in LA, things get so customized. Customize your car? 18 different ways? Customize your house? Look at all the demands people put on buying a home. It's not just "any old home".

Translate that to dating.....it's got to be this, this, this, this and this. Being in an area of choice doesn't help. Look at the choices you get...Whole Foods? Organic food. In many parts of the country, that's unheard of.

I went to the east coast a few months ago. Pennsylvania. New York (upstate). Try finding a Whole Foods there. Can't be done. You don't have all this 24/7 convenience in many places. And all this "customization".

Thus, you end up with 35 or 41 year old women....who in another area, would be happy and settled down. Here, its almost a race to see who doesn't settle first. That's the feeling I get in a lot of areas.

The flip side is these kinds of women are usually very nice, and otherwise nice and normal. But LA is very competitive in terms of "not settling". Plus, life here can be so easy and "made". It's not like you have to move every 6 months because of a snow storm, or because of the weather. Or because the crops didnt come in. Or the plant 15 miles away is going to close. I think people settle earlier elsewhere out of necessity. You dont have the luxury of all this "time".

Here....you get a good job, close commute, get a comfortable living standard or apartment. You could be set for a long time. No need to "settle".

Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM

982 posts, read 1,384,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh8 View Post
What does OTOH stand for?
On the other hand....Online acronym

Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM

982 posts, read 1,384,629 times
And while I've been reading all the interesting comments, my only 2 cents worth is that there far more worse places than LA dating scene.....but to each is own I suppose....

Old 01-28-2011, 10:44 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
and now, from the peanut gallery of demented woman haters.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
LA is bad for dating because feminism has a grip on Hollywood and the city's media. It's their capital of America.
it would be great if you could quantify or intellectually discourse on that topic, but of course, that would be more appropriate for a reasonable assumption. which this one is clearly not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Smith Walters View Post
The entertainment industry has ruined Los Angeles. People today are spoonfed what they see on tv to consider what is attractive in someone else. Women seem to be more picky than they used to be and men are no longer as confident as they used to be. The low confidence in men could be due to the pickiness of women but I notice people today are far more sensitive and picky than they used to be, and each generation it seems to get worse.
yeah, johnny, i actually agree. i mean, before the entertainment industry took over los angeles it was.......oh. wait. IT DIDN'T EXIST. it was orange groves. which are not to be trifled with, granted, but i don't know what era you are harkening back to as being some sort of golden age. like, "twenty years ago before there was a hollywood...."sounds like an opinion based on emotion rather than facts, which is kind of sweet because its so FEMININE.

i do agree, as a woman, that women have no business anywhere but the kitchen. the only thing we are good for is making biscuits, and babies. OBVIOUSLY. if only we could just ADMIT THAT.....but we are soooooo proud, which is also a sin! but it comes natural. we learned it from eve. who i am sure, was probably as sarcastic as i was in the preceding. subtext- you are complete morons.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
The best advise I ever gave about dating in LA, was stick to the natives.

A lot of people come into LA and try to "act LA". When they do this it comes off as pretentious and plastic. Most natives on the other hand are chill. They dont care and they dont view LA the way the rest of the world does. Angelenos are that different from people from other parts of the US at the end of the day.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:03 PM

95 posts, read 332,966 times
nighthouse66 - why are you so negative? I never said anything bad about feminision or sexism or whatever you took it as. What I basically said was LA has become more fake over the years, and I have lived here a long time and seen how it has changed. I have also seen how people that live out here have changed as well. Los Angeles is a tough place for dating because everyones standards are too high, it is also becoming a tough place to raise a family. The "regular folks" are getting squeezed out and living everywhere else.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:29 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Smith Walters View Post
nighthouse66 - why are you so negative? I never said anything bad about feminision or sexism or whatever you took it as. What I basically said was LA has become more fake over the years, and I have lived here a long time and seen how it has changed. I have also seen how people that live out here have changed as well. Los Angeles is a tough place for dating because everyones standards are too high, it is also becoming a tough place to raise a family. The "regular folks" are getting squeezed out and living everywhere else.
believe me, i am no feminist- which many women would attack me for. i certainly felt that you were being a bit sexist, however, saying that women had gotten more picky and men less confident. it seems to echo the sentiments, mistaken as it may be, of people who blame the confidence of women on the downfall of the american family, etc. if that was not your intention, i apologize. i think it also was dependent on the fact that it came on the heels of westofencinos' much-less-veiled implications re. women. which could be unfair on my part, and again, i apologize.

but i also think that human beings in general have certain proclivities, and the more choices you have the less likely you are to settle on one. and i think those are amplified in a megalopolis such as LA, but i am sure that it is the same in any other large city.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:04 PM

95 posts, read 332,966 times
nightnurse66- thanks for clearing that up, i'm sorry for confusing you. I was actually responding the the first comment. According the the OP it seems people in LA were the least conciderate in their personal ads with responding to others, that was what I was talking about. Also some magazines have ranked LA in the bottom for singles as well, I remember reading one about a year ago...think it was Men's Journal or something.

As far as self esteem yes I stand by my comment, there is a different between being confident and being picky. Usually picky people never find long term happiness. Many people think being picky is confident, but its not...it is actually insecurity. I know there are some limits but it seems in LA people take those limits too far when it comes to dating.

I also have noticed in society in the last 30 years or so men are not as confident as they used to be when it comes to womem, it has especially gotten worse in the last 15 years. So I said I assumed the reason men are not as confident was because of past negative reations they might have gotten from women that are picky and think they are better than what they really are, thats all I meant.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,575,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
TOTALLY! Those wimmens and their crazy "We're all equal" ideas! They're really bringing down LA and ruining dating for everyone!
I have nothing against good women. I love them. It's just those who associate with legal organized crime. They really have an anti-male agenda. The gang is sexist in disguise.

And dating is bad in LA as a result of this. LA has the highest breakups and divorces in the country. Married couples are a minority in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles