U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:51 PM

425 posts, read 649,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The best advise I ever gave about dating in LA, was stick to the natives.

A lot of people come into LA and try to "act LA". When they do this it comes off as pretentious and plastic. Most natives on the other hand are chill. They dont care and they dont view LA the way the rest of the world does. Angelenos are that different from people from other parts of the US at the end of the day.
I believe you are right on this justme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:18 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,269,378 times
I'm honestly not sure what anyone is talking about. I loved dating in LA. I love being married and raising a baby in LA. What's the big deal?

As for pickiness, well... we all have our "things," right? I had my "list" of things (full head of hair, handsome, funny, smart, tall) and someone else might have theirs (thin, big boobs, nice car, great job, etc...)

Is it "picky?" Dunno. Maybe. It's just the way it goes. Personally, money meant less to me than looks & personality. And both of those are subjective. i.e. I don't find George Clooney attractive, but I know most people do.

Maybe all the divorces are happening people people aren't picky enough!

Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM

95 posts, read 332,966 times
Well i'm glad it worked out fore you and hopefully your 2nd marriage lasts forever. But there is a big difference between LA today and LA years ago when it comes to dating. This city just evolves quickly and alot of people come and go more so than before.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 PM
mlb

2,770 posts, read 2,597,829 times
It's not the city, people... it's the ATTITUDE. You've got to be open and not so damn picky.

I met my husband in LA.....25 years ago. Committment-phobes were everywhere. EVERYONE wanted perfection. Superficial ruled the day.

I got lucky. We had alot in common - and both of us were good listeners. I lived in West LA - he lived in the Valley. Distance? Shmistance. We wanted to be together? We found a way. And YES, the traffic was just as bad back then.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,361,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
The best advise I ever gave about dating in LA, was stick to the natives.

A lot of people come into LA and try to "act LA". When they do this it comes off as pretentious and plastic. Most natives on the other hand are chill. They dont care and they dont view LA the way the rest of the world does. Angelenos are that different from people from other parts of the US at the end of the day.
Absolutely true. When people have an image of fake people in LA it's a bunch of Okies from small towns who create a persona because they think they need to. Us actual natives are much more chill and down to earth. Unfortunately, natives are not as good looking. Oh well.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:37 PM

26 posts, read 39,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon2k41 View Post
Why does LA have the reputation for being the worst place for singles? There are plenty of singles that live there, probably more singles than married couples. There seems to be a thriving nightlife, so what is the problem?
For men it's heaven. There are tons of outwardly beautiful women with a high desperation factor. The men don't have to pick up women because women flock to them. Now if you're a beautiful woman with morals and standards you're going to have a hard time because anything you're not willing to do "desperate Delores" will be willing, just to say she has a man. It's actually dispicable. Another huge thing is most men there love each other. They really do. They may date women and some may even like women but they LOVE other men. I say get out if you want a serious meaningful relationship with a real man. The best decision I made was getting out of there.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM

55 posts, read 102,041 times
My two cents is that in LA people are a lot more out going, they might not be more friendly but you will know what they are thinking so dating and meeting people is a little easier. Especially for me; I have trouble reading people when they are subtle. Although, this is coming from someone who grew up in a small town in the Midwest. You will probably have a lot different of a perspective if you are coming from somewhere like NYC or Chicago. It's all relative.

Either way there are so many different people that you are bound to find someone you like eventually.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,462,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine92004 View Post
most men there love each other. They really do. They may date women and some may even like women but they LOVE other men.
Might want to date somewhere other than West Hollywood.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
For men it's heaven. There are tons of outwardly beautiful women with a high desperation factor. The men don't have to pick up women because women flock to them. Now if you're a beautiful woman with morals and standards you're going to have a hard time because anything you're not willing to do "desperate Delores" will be willing, just to say she has a man. It's actually dispicable. Another huge thing is most men there love each other. They really do. They may date women and some may even like women but they LOVE other men. I say get out if you want a serious meaningful relationship with a real man. The best decision I made was getting out of there.
That's one of the stupidest things I've read here. Did you live in West Hollywood or something?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:40 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,361,137 times
Quote:
Yeah... where is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles