Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,340,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
I'm sure the "hipsters" or "emos" or "goths" or "skaters" don't think high of yer mainstream hides either

Ah those people who're bothered by skinny jeans... cause they can't fit in them.
HAH! hardly main stream, foo. i was a punk rocker at 12 when there wasn't a punk rocker to be had within a 60 mile radius of my town, then got into reggae and ska and old soul, and now think of myself as "unique". that's my complaint, not that people look strange, but that they don't look strange enough. its all out-of-the-box looks that anyone can get from MTV. no thought, no originality. and all the twentysomethings have this THING for the eighties. i could say i could understand it as i have a lifelong fetish for '66 era swinging london, but that era has passed into classic stage, its influence is felt all over. op art and the music and mini skirts and suede bots- that's good stuff. the eighties could hardly compare with that. and it ain't skinny jeans i have a problem with, its guys who wear skinny jeans who can't seem to keep them up past their crotches. it makes them look like demented 12 year olds. sorry, but i don't get my looks out of a how-to-be-hip manual- reckon it works for some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 02:35 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,340,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello044 View Post
This is a response to 3 different comments........

It's funny that people tend to be so picky about things other people do. Just 3-4 years ago people complained about everyone wearing baggy jeans, no they complain about the thin/regular jeans LOL. We had to deal with people wearing baggy jeans for about 15-20 years, styles change. When baggy jeans make a comeback in 30 years people will say the same thing all over again. Remember styles comeback every 30 years, Anyone remember styles from the 60s in the 90s? and the 70s styles in the 2000s? Were now in the 2010's.

Readymade - so you were the woman that never answered my note huh? LOL j/k But seriously why bother having a personal ad if your not going to respond? When I used that free one I responded, even if I did not like the person, would just say I didnt think we had anything in common, or that I was dating someone else.
oh, isn't that sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
lol Jeebus... get a life, people.
You're hating on "hipsters"?
Most of those who hate on skinny jeans are ugly old fatasses who WISH they'd bang some kiddie who wears said skinny jeans (with no such chance). Or, they're just homophobic and think that every guy should fit into a little square straight-looking box they're living in themselves.

Get a life... may be try to create something of your own (like decorate a cake or knit a sweater for ur grandkids or something)... and stop judging how others look or live their life. The ones who need to hit a treadmill are pple who can't fit their fat butt into skinny jeans, so shut up.
no, its not homophobia, at least in my case, and i certainly ain't a granny, i don't even have kids! its just that the young folk of today seem to fall too easily into well-worn and tasteless (in my opinion) genres that are based on (IMO)crappy music. i have always been a grouch about such things. like i said in another post, its the lack of UNIQUENESS that bothers me. the lack of thought, the lack of originality. having said that, not too many people rock the true liberty-spike punk rock '77 look anymore, that took a little more investment than having your hair plastered to your head and awesome "tats". there aren't enough risks being taken. all this damn codification! all this orthodoxy! i have a mod heart, but even mods annoy me. its like, "no, your hem should NOT touch the top of your shoes!" when someone tells me that i want to wear pants with a TRAIN on em. there shouldn't be any rules! take risks young uns! wear one shoe sometimes, just to be weird! now that i can get behind. but your skull and crossbones-with-roses-entwined-tshirts just bore me to tears. its just a matter of taste. anyway we are only complaining, get over it grasshopper!
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I would like to be a soldier in the army too!

Ugh... hate hate HATE "ironic" beards that just aren't ironic anymore. They're just beards now! I assume, when I see a beard, that the guy has something to hide.

I will say, however, that i have a few "hipster" friends who, when I first met them, thought "douche!" but turned out to be super nice. So I try not to judge. Too much.

When I became single in LA, I joined match.com, and I was horrified by how many head shots people posted as their regular picture. I actually had to put a thing in my profile that said "If you're using your head shot as your profile picture, don't bother contacting me." (only said more nicely). I was too chicken to go on any online dates, however. I was that chick who never wrote back to anyone.

I went on ONE Friendster date (that's how long ago it was, heh) who was a friend of a friend of a friend. i.e. blind date. It didn't go well. I've found that, online, guys lie about their height the way women lie about their weight. I'm only 5'6, but I TOWERED over the guy! And that made me feel weird. There was other stuff, too, that I won't get into. I kept him in stitches all night and he kept saying stuff like "Oh my god! That's totally something I would say!!"

"But you didn't say it. I did!" I would think. I need to have a guy to keep ME in stitches all night... not the other way around. Well, preferably both.

Yep. Confidence (which is different than arrogance), a modicum of intelligence, & a sense of humor. That's all you really need, if you're a guy. Unless you're going for a Playboy-type of chick. Then you're gonna need some serious change.
sense of humor! confidence! and preferably a big fat pair of sideburns. i can spot a great set of sideburns from like, five streets away. i will cruise a man with good sideburns

glad to see, that, as usual, we agree on some things

Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,972,490 times
LOL, on the same day this guy in DC has gone on and on about how girls in LA are so easy to date and DC's the worst city for dating.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...es-states.html

Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 PM

95 posts, read 383,712 times
LOL Caladium, I'm starting to believe what is considered good looking in one city is not in another. As far as the guy from DC well the nightlife out there is not anything special as it's general population is full of suit and tie professionals that work for the Government. Alot of people even work in DC but live in a surrounding state such as VA, and MD. My cousin was one of them.

As far as age and style goes, it seems as we get older we hate things younger people do. 20s and 30s are not very different and I laugh when people in their 30s bash those younger because I remember a time when older people said the same exact things about them LOL. I think the memory can get fuzzy as time goes on. I also notice each generation seems to evolve slower most of the time. But I dont want us to get way off topic here.

Los Angeles is a very nice city with weather most people would die for, yet I hear some people complain about it, if you think smog is bad try living with 9+ month cold snowy or icy weather. It's not LA thats bad, it seems to be the people that live there that make it bad, not all but most. If you are too into yourself and think of yourself as being superior than society actually really sees you then you will never be happy with anyone you meet, and if you do date someone you will find excuses to dump them such as "she has one gray hair", or "i'm only 5'6 but I only date men 6'2 and over", another one was "I don't like his car" and these are from average people in their 20's and up!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,870,623 times
LA is filled with a lot of dating nonsense. Isn't it the capital of "seduction", "speed dating", and other gimmicks? It seems like there's a gimmick on every block here.

Male insecurity is probably higher than in many other cities. Plus, bad hollywood role models for men (Charlie Sheen anyone??). Plus, the fact that housing is so expensive. Guys think they need a house to bring a girl back to.

But on the flip side, I think west coast confidence is probably better than many other places. People are more direct. People get out more, and are probably fitter than in many other places.

People want the best (they already have the best with 365 days of sunshine).....thats why so many are divorced or single.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:35 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,585,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
People want the best (they already have the best with 365 days of sunshine).....thats why so many are divorced or single.

^^^^^^^^^This is most definitely true in LA. I know several succesful women in their 30's and 40's who literally do not date(and probably should) because they have standards so high and numerous that literally no man could meet those standards. And if a guy does not meet those standards, the ladies consider it "settling" if they date that guy.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:18 PM

95 posts, read 383,712 times
The entertainment industry has ruined Los Angeles. People today are spoonfed what they see on tv to consider what is attractive in someone else. Women seem to be more picky than they used to be and men are no longer as confident as they used to be. The low confidence in men could be due to the pickiness of women but I notice people today are far more sensitive and picky than they used to be, and each generation it seems to get worse.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:40 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,210,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello044 View Post

Readymade - so you were the woman that never answered my note huh? LOL j/k But seriously why bother having a personal ad if your not going to respond? When I used that free one I responded, even if I did not like the person, would just say I didnt think we had anything in common, or that I was dating someone else.
It's funny, I had no idea it was considered "bad form" not to respond to anyone! I've more recently found out that not responding is a BIG no no and that you're considered a bit of an a-hole if you don't. I have friends who ***** about it all the time, and I'm all "Oops! That was me!"

I was TERRIFIED of dating. I was terrified of the CONCEPT of dating! Most of my friends did the internet dating thing, so I signed up on Match.com to see what was what. It was right after my husband & I separated and I was in a pretty weird headspace. We stayed good friends, and he was internet dating like mad. My best friend, who's a guy, was also going on tons of internet dates. I would hear their horror stories (one they each had a "horror date" with THE SAME WOMAN!). The whole thing made me too nervous to do more than go online to see who'd sent me a message.

Looking back on it now, I realized that most of my friends were/are guys, and they were all encouraging me to "get out there" and start dating right away. But I wasn't really ready. It took a few months before I really started dating, and by that time I'd met people through friends & stuff like that.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:17 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,027,424 times
LA is bad for dating because feminism has a grip on Hollywood and the city's media. It's their capital of America.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,210,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
LA is bad for dating because feminism has a grip on Hollywood and the city's media. It's their capital of America.
TOTALLY! Those wimmens and their crazy "We're all equal" ideas! They're really bringing down LA and ruining dating for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles