U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 06:49 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,549,318 times

Advertisements

I'm sure L.A. has rats, but I think since it is more spread out, there aren't nearly as many as NY.

NY has them in the subways and all over the trash cans. Gross.

It's unsanitary.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,148,998 times
A few weeks ago I was waiting for the bus around 12:15am at Echo Park. I stepped in the bushes to the take a leak. I stepped back out and heard some rustling in the bushes. One rat stepped out a few feet then went back. Then another. Then I heard all sorts of noise in the bushes. I figured there were a lot of rats in there and I was started to get a little unsettled but then my bus came.

Around 2005 I walked by the little traffic island at Hollywood/Vermont/Prospect and there were hundreds of rats running around it screaming. Me and my friend were kinda freaked out.

Also used to see rats running along the tracks at the Universal Subway station but not in a long time.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:54 AM

277 posts, read 287,530 times
Not even close. New York is so compact and congested it's easy for rats to find a way into your flat from a neighboring person with a rat problem. Even people with multi million dollar condo's in NYC can have rat problems. LA does have rats but nothing like NYC. In NY it's common to see stories about rats chewing on baby's while they sleep.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM

109 posts, read 158,049 times
For what it's worth, I've never seen rats in L.A. like I've seen them in NYC and Chicago but I've never seen cockroaches in NYC and Chicago like I've seen them in L.A.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM

10 posts, read 12,162 times
From what I've heard, Los Angeles has a far worse rat problem than NYC as far as rats being in residential neighborhoods (although they have a different type of rat there, the Norwegian rat, which I think are smaller than NYC rats). In my experience living in NYC, rats can be found in residential neighborhoods, but only in the worst areas. From what I've heard, any area in Los Angeles can have rats, even million dollar homes. Rats chewing on babies while they sleep in NYC? LOL...yeah maybe in the South Bronx and areas like that, but even areas like that are undergoing gentrification and driving the rats underground into the subway. Yes, the subway here has millions of rats, but I've never once seen one in my neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:39 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funyunnyc View Post
From what I've heard
From what I've heard
How's your hearing?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:43 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
The rats in Los Angeles live in the dried out uncut fronds of palm trees.

I have seen them scurry into bushes when I've been stopped at a red light.

A single palm tree was cut down next to my building earlier this year and the construction company didn't trap the rats before they cut the tree, and all the rats came pouring into my apartment building. Some were on the roof, died and the dead rat smell was seeping into the apartment building. Some were trapped between walls, and you could hear them scratching inside it was just disgusting.

I haven't seen any cat sized rats like what I have seen in NYC, but there are rats in L.A. for sure.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,027,326 times
La being adjacent to a good amount of wilderness spreads the population out as opposed to NYC's extreme density and concentration. Also we get the occasional predators out here: snakes and mountain lions, even some black bears. New York's rat problem derives from its subterranean city beneath the city with its mass of subway lines. There are no direct apex predators there to let nature, or what's left of it, do the job.

Where New York, as well as Chicago (not really a rat problem) have found success in pigeon control. I visited New York in 2000 for the first time and was amazed at the incredible mass of pigeons. They were everywhere and shat all over every statue in Central Park. When I returned in 2005 to attend college in the NY area, I was absolutely shocked at the incredible thinning of the pigeon population to the point that there pestilence was unnoticeable. 15 years ago, the prospect of NY streets that clean would incite raucous laughter. Luckily, NYC adopted a family of Hawks that roost atop a luxurious penthouse along 5th avenue. At first the well-to-do wanted the hawks removed (because they're jerk-faces), but a combined number of animal rights groups banded together to save them and won. The amazing by-product is now NYC's strange ecosystem has an apex predator and have solved the pigeon overpopulation issue. Since rat stay mostly underground they are in less danger and they persist to gross out everyone (I saw one eating a quarter once...a QUARTER). Chicago took a similar approach but took advantage of its skyscrapers and strong wind currents by adopting a few nests of Peregrine Falcons, the fastest predator on earth. These birds dive-bomb of skyscrapers at 159mph, snatching one of those dirty flying rats almost silently.

.....WOA tangent...yes, NYC still has rats: mostly in the outer boroughs in garbage cans or anywhere near the mountains of garbage that are put out on the street corner.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:06 PM

9,596 posts, read 17,698,995 times
I cringe when i hear about or see a rat. They are nasty rodents.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,462,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Chicago took a similar approach but took advantage of its skyscrapers and strong wind currents by adopting a few nests of Peregrine Falcons, the fastest predator on earth. These birds dive-bomb of skyscrapers at 159mph, snatching one of those dirty flying rats almost silently.
Similar thing happened here in San Jose, with Peregrines nesting atop City Hall. Lotta pigeon parts dropped below them, but you won't see hoardes of pigeons raining foul down onto peds' heads around town.

As for rats: Get cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles