U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 02:46 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
so he can experinec the nightlife
He'd better look older than 21 and have a high quality false ID if he wants to experience the non-teenybopper nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,722,355 times
hell, if watching "the wire" is any indication, he needs to move to los angeles for his own personal safety.

seriously though, i did read in some article re. compton's dropping crime rate (yeah, that's a phrase you don't hear much) that the murder rate (i was thinking crime rate) had now dropped to '65 levels. i think we passed the '67 benchmark a few months ago.

anyway, yeah, 18 is a bit of a pup. do you have friends here? i would make some. hell, back in the myspace days i made a gaggle of friends in CA while still living in GA (we shared the same music tastes) and a bunch of those are STILL my friends. in fact, a few of them have been my rocks here in CA and enabled me to weather some pretty tough storms.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 AM

77 posts, read 369,835 times
Torrance,CA it's like touching the Border of L.A. almost.. And it has really nice parts- there are some areas that are pretty cheap. But! Stay away from "East Side of Torrance!" Do not go any further East then Crenshaw Blvd! Seriously! Anything West of that is ok!

That's my recommendation.

And Hey man, think about it now.. I want to Leave L.A. Cause I guess we're on that falt line

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 AM

5 posts, read 4,834 times
I need a Host family in LA For 2weeks any help

Old 01-31-2011, 06:29 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,462,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

anyway, yeah, 18 is a bit of a pup. do you have friends here? i would make some.
Learn to surf. Like, quickly.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 21,164 times
Thanks for the info everybody! And the wire sums up the bad parts of Baltimore. The county's not too bad. Baltimore has a lot of potential, the harbor is beautiful, but nobody seems to really try and change anything.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 AM

69,256 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahand View Post
Before you guys come out here and give me reasons not to come, save it I made up my mind. I live in Baltimore and the crime rate is just as bad if not worse then LA. The murder rate is one of the highest in the country. I know the job market is bad in LA but I can't get a job here either. What are the best areas to live in ? If not LA then other parts of cali. I don't want to be a long drive away from the night life. Also on craigslist there are many "dorm style living" housing where you can live for like 350 a month utilities included. They are great houses in a great area but like 12 people live in each of them is this legal? I heard it wasn't. If someone really puts in the effort to get a minimum wage job, they can do it right? From what i've heard, not to be racist, if your not black or hispanic you should have no problem getting a job. It sucks but i heard that's the way it is in LA.

Reasons why- I want to start anew. My parents are kicking me out when I turn 18 and i'd rather be in sunny California and be homeless then in baltimore freezing and dying.

Where is the best place to live, how long will it take to get a job/how hard will it be, and are the dorm syle housing illegal? And how bad are the smog and earthquakes?

And for those wondering, i looked it up, the crime rate in Baltimore is three times higher than LA.
wow, I don't think you are for real and doubt many others do either, but if you are: no, you will never and I mean never find a place in any major city, near nightlife for $350 a month. NO, being white versus being black or hispanic has little to do with getting a job. In fact if you are Hispanic and speak Spanish you are more easily employable. Can you get a min paying job easily,? Nope. That being said, go and see for yourself, but make sure you have 1-at least several thousand dollars to get you by the first few months and another plan if this doesn't work. Oh, BTW, you can be homeless in Ca and die believe it or not. Oh and one more thing, what kind of nightlife do you think will be available for an 18 year old?

Nita

Old 02-01-2011, 09:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,462,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no, you will never and I mean never find a place in any major city, near nightlife for $350 a month.
You can, but it's hard living, and rarely legal or in compliance with a lease or rental agreement. Might as well be a couch barnacle for somebody in desperate need of rent assistance.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:04 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,269,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh and one more thing, what kind of nightlife do you think will be available for an 18 year old?

Nita
Not only that, but if he can only afford $350/mo for rent... how could he AFFORD any nightlife? It wouldn't be too difficult to spend $100 in one night.

I agree that there's no way to rent a place for $350/mo in LA. MAYbe if he & a couple of friends all rent a studio apt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles