U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM

95 posts, read 195,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Funny though, because I was under the impression that everyone in the EU was all over him...
The important word in your sentence is "was". People here also actually start to THINK, very few, but it happens. I was one of them, finding the Bush-Obama change a good thing for the world. Now I'm preparing to move to America and the more I read about Bush, e.g. "Decision Points", the more I like him and his thoughts. But that's going off topic.

The OP asked where all the tax money goes to and I think the best advise for him is to read the news every day. "Thousands spent there", "millions peculated here" and so on. That's where it all goes to. Everywhere in the world. Not just in California :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,284,663 times
I wondered about that to. On the east coast, taxes go towards snow plowing, salting, and fixing the sidewalks & streets that become totally messed up due to all the rain & the snow. We don't have any of that here!

We can all ***** and complain and moan about the government, but we're the ones who elected them into office.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 PM

20 posts, read 76,592 times
Of course we're the ones who elected them into government, but the way I look at politics and politicians now is I'll vote for who I think will do the least amount of damage. Obviously that doesn't always work out very well. I used to believe in what the parties stood for but now it there really isn't much that separates the dems from the GOP. It seems to be at this point voting for the lesser of two evils which can go either way regardless of party affiliation. Honestly the system is so flawed now, genuine individuals who really want to run and have the best intentions generally don't even stand a chance unless they come from major money or have their pockets lined by special interest groups. When you look at how much is spent on advertising for each candidate during elections it really is disgusting and completely unethical. How on earth can anyone without millions even get into the arena? Also how do you change a system that is so out of whack when the people running it don't want it changed??

Old 01-29-2011, 03:14 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,399,871 times
Because of government waste. huge fat pensions for fatcats who sit around and do nothing all day. they work 9-5 often with minimal productivity and get amazing benefits and a very healthy salary. then they retire after sitting on their ass for 20 years and get full pay and benefits the rest of their life. this doesn't just apply to office drones, also cops and firefighters.

the only way to go these days is working for the government. if you can't beat them, join them. you'll at least get pampered and taken care of for life. private enterprise is screwed here

Old 01-29-2011, 03:15 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,836,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evieamie View Post
Honestly the system is so flawed now, genuine individuals who really want to run and have the best intentions generally don't even stand a chance unless they come from major money or have their pockets lined by special interest groups.
...and if their pockets are lined by a special interest group, what do you think they're gonna do once they get in there?

Pay their dues...

Quote:
When you look at how much is spent on advertising for each candidate during elections it really is disgusting and completely unethical. How on earth can anyone without millions even get into the arena?
Answer: they can't.

It's like becoming a rockstar or movie star. It's very infrequent that someone who literally started at town council meetings works their way up to a position of influence.

Quote:
Also how do you change a system that is so out of whack when the people running it don't want it changed??
Look at Egypt right now...

The big problem for the populace is that we are so fragmented along political lines that we'll never cooperate. In other countries, people have more of a tendency to say, "this is a bad situation," and then there's discourse as to how to resolve it, and then people act.

Not here, no sir

Old 01-29-2011, 03:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 7,912,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Look at Egypt right now...

The big problem for the populace is that we are so fragmented along political lines that we'll never cooperate. In other countries, people have more of a tendency to say, "this is a bad situation," and then there's discourse as to how to resolve it, and then people act.

Not here, no sir
United we stand, divided we fall, and politicians know it all too well. Keep the people pitted against each other and business can go on as usual.

Its my team against your team mentality. The sooner everyone realizes that both parties are corrupt to the core, the sooner things will change.

If not, then we'll continue this downward spiral until we've reached the very pits of hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or