U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2011, 02:16 AM
 
9 posts, read 33,058 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me how on earth CA is in such bad shape fiscally. I honestly just don't get it! We have the largest population by far, so that equates to the largest intake of taxes. We also have close to the highest if not in fact the highest income, property and sales tax combined. Our schools are out of control in regards to overpopulation, the government is continually cutting the education budget along with every other budget out there. When I look at how much tax our family alone pays every year I really wonder where all that money is going. I mean we can't even buy soda or bottled water without paying tax on top of another tax (crv). I absolutely love CA but just don't get how we're in such bad shape, are our politicians mentally challenged?

Can anyone please explain this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2011, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Columbia, California
6,662 posts, read 25,386,581 times
Reputation: 5067
Too much spending without watching the check book. We all learned how to do this young, the government is just realizing they need to do this.
Too many free programs like health care for illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 05:07 AM
 
Location: Torrance, CA
95 posts, read 195,231 times
Reputation: 49
Maintaining all those roads, paying insane pensions for ex public staff (teachers, policemen etc etc). The current $88 billion is nothing! Look at Germany: we have about the double population and are also supposed to have the highest taxes in Europe. The total debt is about €1.8 trillion (ab. $2.5 trillion).

This leaves Germany with some $31,000 per citizen and California with $2,300 per inhabitant or in other words, more than 13 times as much... Always look on the bright side of life :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,263 posts, read 10,347,491 times
Reputation: 5412
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post
... Always look on the bright side of life :-)
Beautiful philosophy!

Then again, it could be the sole reason why rich, corrupt people and governments are getting more corrupt and richer while the debt and poverty grow bigger? Perhaps a major change is overdue? Perhaps a change in this corrupt and defunct system and society is impossible because we ALL are a part of it as a collective. So, we will have to ride it out till sh.t hits the fan, WWIII, then we are back to Stone Age. A fresh start!

Perhaps, we should take the blue pill and keep looking at things on the bright side...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 30,383,805 times
Reputation: 28974
Quote:
Originally Posted by eveami View Post
Can someone explain to me how on earth CA is in such bad shape fiscally. I honestly just don't get it! We have the largest population by far, so that equates to the largest intake of taxes. We also have close to the highest if not in fact the highest income, property and sales tax combined. Our schools are out of control in regards to overpopulation, the government is continually cutting the education budget along with every other budget out there. When I look at how much tax our family alone pays every year I really wonder where all that money is going. I mean we can't even buy soda or bottled water without paying tax on top of another tax (crv). I absolutely love CA but just don't get how we're in such bad shape, are our politicians mentally challenged?

Can anyone please explain this
?
Asked and answered!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Torrance, CA
95 posts, read 195,231 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Perhaps a change in this corrupt and defunct system and society is impossible because we ALL are a part of it as a collective.
IMHO this is exactly the point. As bystanders we've watched Obama's run for presidency from the European point of view. All we saw on TV was American people crying on the streets because they would now have someone who'd finally take care of the great masses instead of the elite. But what happened? The Obama presidency is about to become the biggest deception in American history.

Just recently I read something like "the U.S. elite finally was able to present the people a president who they would still admire and trust while he leaded them to the slaughterhouse".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,620 posts, read 12,813,191 times
Reputation: 11168
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bravo View Post
IMHO this is exactly the point. As bystanders we've watched Obama's run for presidency from the European point of view. All we saw on TV was American people crying on the streets because they would now have someone who'd finally take care of the great masses instead of the elite. But what happened? The Obama presidency is about to become the biggest deception in American history.

Just recently I read something like "the U.S. elite finally was able to present the people a president who they would still admire and trust while he leaded them to the slaughterhouse".
Sounds about right. A little dramatic maybe , but it's gotten to the point where the only politicians who have a chance of getting in office are basically a different shade of corporate/elitist tool.

I'm definitely on the more "liberal" or "progressive" end of the spectrum as far as Amerians go, and I didn't vote for Obama. It's not because I thought he was pro-abortion (I think abortions are great), it's not because I thought he was gonna take our guns (he wasn't and isn't), it's not because I think he'd Muslim (oh christ, he's not), it's just that I got the distinct feeling that he'd tell anyone what they wanted to hear, regardless of how much he intended on making it happen. Kind of like Clinton, just not actually capable of doing anything.

Funny though, because I was under the impression that everyone in the EU was all over him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 AM
 
2,110 posts, read 4,056,110 times
Reputation: 970
There was a time not too many years ago that the state had so much extra money that they sent out rebate checks to tax payers.

The state should have kept that money in a high interest savings account. Maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are today if they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Below the fray
422 posts, read 1,566,686 times
Reputation: 327
Budget by ballot initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM
 
Location: California
396 posts, read 770,813 times
Reputation: 276
Two things: one political party dominates and the large population of illegal immigrants. Its not rocket surgery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top