U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 05:59 PM

19 posts, read 125,374 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used them as a moving company. I'm going to be moving from Illinois to Long Beach and I was considering using them.

I figured I'd ask because I hate dealing with this stuff over the phone when I am just curious because they are always so pushy But if you have used them, do you recommend them? Good/bad experiences? How much does it cost? Do you think it'll be a hassle finding a place for the company to drop off the POD since parking is so hectic and what not?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 08:36 PM

107 posts, read 162,577 times
ABF (upack.com) is much cheaper. I priced out both moving from OH to LA, and I want to say ABF was half the price!

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times
We looked at PODS for our LA move, too, and it was pretty expensive. We ended up using a regular moving company, but for a more recent move we used Broadway Express, which was much cheaper (and which we loved!). You can probably get some more general advice on the general moving forum; there's a bunch of threads comparing the different options.

For more specific LA stuff, parking may or may not be an issue. Have you found a building/house yet? If you're renting in an apartment building the manager may be able to tell you what people have done before, or if there's a place to drop off the pod. I don't know Long Beach's regulations, but you may also be able to reserve some space on the street for that purpose -- we've done that in both DC and in SF. In both of those cases it was through the police department; I think it was free in DC (although we picked up the sign) and in SF it cost $150 or so. Long Beach may have something similar. When we moved in and out of Hollywood (our other LA move had a driveway) we had a truck and they just double-parked.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:58 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,976,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledabout View Post
ABF (upack.com) is much cheaper. I priced out both moving from OH to LA, and I want to say ABF was half the price!
Same thing for me.
Check out this thread.
ABF u-pack
Search around in the General Moving section here----TONS of good info.
Best of luck.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:08 AM

19 posts, read 125,374 times
Thanks! Didn't know there was a moving forum I'll check it out! Thank youu

Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,797,276 times
My brother used PODS and was happy with them. A friend of mine used U-Pack and was happy with them. I called both a couple of weeks ago for a rate to move from TN to AZ. U-Pack was much cheaper, nearly half the rate of PODS. The only thing is that a U-Pack container wasn't available where I live, but they can bring a truck instead and it costs the same as a container because they only base it on the space in the truck you actually use. PODS isn't available everywhere either. They said they could move me to Arizona City, but when I asked about Kingman, they said they don't go there.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM

109 posts, read 158,049 times
Something else to keep in mind is that some municipalities will not allow storage containers on public streets. Other places have restrictions as to which streets they will allow it on.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 PM

378 posts, read 620,344 times
PODS is more expensive, but for moving to another state, especially to a place you're not familiar with, it's fantastic. Being able to keep your stuff in a safe warehouse until you're actually settled in really helps give you peace of mind while working out all the details.

That being said, if someone offers the same service for less, give 'em a try. But make sure you have that flexibility of keeping your stuff at the warehouse in case your housing situation falls through and you find yourself making changes on short notice. We ended up in an apartment for two months, so it was a relief to simply call and ask them to keep the stuff there longer. It cost more, but not having to wrangle a houseful of furniture until we were actually settled made it well worth it.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM

107 posts, read 162,577 times
ABF (Upack.com) allows for storage as well, and for cheaper. I think PODS is just more well-known (brand name and all of that) and thus gets more business as a result.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 PM

378 posts, read 620,344 times
When we moved here, the PODS concept was still pretty new. Looks like there's decent competition out there now, which is great for the people who are moving!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or